Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


What happens with Kyle Smith?

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2021, 01:39 PM   #166
MTK
\m/
 
MTK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 95,120
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

We all know who was right about Haskins after all.

In the end I think Ron gets what Ron wants right now.
__________________
Support The Warpath! | Warpath Shop
MTK is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #167
SunnySide
The Starter
 
SunnySide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 1,960
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

In Ron I Trust

I trust him to know his own strengths and weaknesses and to seek input from people he trusts to do better than he could do himself. If you have a coach centric organizational chart like we do, I want the coach to have humility and not hubris.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #168
Chief X_Phackter
Playmaker
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 2,541
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Per Rapoport:

The Washington Football Team has requested permission to interview Falcons Director of Football Operations Nick Polk for their open GM job, sources say. Polk is a respected member of the front office and hes spent nearly two decades in Atlanta.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:31 PM   #169
skinsfanmdc
Camp Scrub
 
skinsfanmdc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 74
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
We all know who was right about Haskins after all.

In the end I think Ron gets what Ron wants right now.
I feel like that will change when Ron starts losing. This is just a scenario, and Snyder starts getting involved.
skinsfanmdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:19 AM   #170
mooby
liberal snowflake
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,580
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanmdc View Post
I feel like that will change when Ron starts losing. This is just a scenario, and Snyder starts getting involved.
It's never wise to bet against Danny interference, but eventually the impossible becomes possible. Until I see credible sources reporting otherwise I choose to believe Dan has given Ron carte blanche to run the ship.
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:46 AM   #171
sdskinsfan2001
Sponge-worthy
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 10,314
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfanmdc View Post
I feel like that will change when Ron starts losing. This is just a scenario, and Snyder starts getting involved.
Good thing for us, he turned the beginning of this year, where we all had some questions, into a spring of hope. He isn't going to do a lot of losing here. I have RR sunglasses on. Snyder finally got something right.

I genuinely believe what he said, for the 1st 1/3 of the season, he was seeing what we had. He then realized, our division is straight ass, and pivoted. Our division was in fact ass, but he was right, we won it. And we competed against the GOAT.

Hire Kyle as GM or hire another GM and keep Kyle in a talent acquisition role, and this season really could not have gone better imo, by any realistic set of expectations.
__________________
Cause you know, he would step across the line. Habitually. He's a habitual line stepper.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #172
mooby
liberal snowflake
 
mooby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17,580
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ngton-football

For those who haven't made peace with it. Kyle Smith is going to be out when the new GM is hired. JP Finlay doesn't write this article if he thinks there's a good chance of Smith staying.

I wish we could keep Smith, but this is a coach-centric approach, and if the coach isn't vibing with Smith so be it. I trust the process until we have good reason not to (more losing seasons basically).
__________________
Hail to the Football Team
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:51 PM   #173
SFREDSKIN
Gamebreaker
 
SFREDSKIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pacifica, CA
Posts: 12,783
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ngton-football

For those who haven't made peace with it. Kyle Smith is going to be out when the new GM is hired. JP Finlay doesn't write this article if he thinks there's a good chance of Smith staying.

I wish we could keep Smith, but this is a coach-centric approach, and if the coach isn't vibing with Smith so be it. I trust the process until we have good reason not to (more losing seasons basically).
Watch someone in our division snap him up.
__________________
Joe Gibbs- The best coach of all time, Lombardi trophy should be renamed Gibbs.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.


Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:04 PM   #174
Chief X_Phackter
Playmaker
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 2,541
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...ngton-football

For those who haven't made peace with it. Kyle Smith is going to be out when the new GM is hired. JP Finlay doesn't write this article if he thinks there's a good chance of Smith staying.

I wish we could keep Smith, but this is a coach-centric approach, and if the coach isn't vibing with Smith so be it. I trust the process until we have good reason not to (more losing seasons basically).
That's a great article, and it sums up how I feel about the GM position and Kyle Smith. He probably isn't ready for it at this point, and there are candidates out there that are, who can produce the same results or better than Kyle has with regard to finding talent, and who RR feels comfortable working with.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 06:42 PM   #175
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27,289
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Watch someone in our division snap him up.
It will be Kyle or Mcvay
__________________
2020 NFC East Champions

The game plan is what the game plan will be
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 07:45 PM   #176
SkinzWin
Playmaker
 
SkinzWin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 3,411
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
It's never wise to bet against Danny interference, but eventually the impossible becomes possible. Until I see credible sources reporting otherwise I choose to believe Dan has given Ron carte blanche to run the ship.
You know thats 100% accurate when Ron released Mr. Kingdom of Pride Worldwide.
__________________
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:08 AM   #177
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27,289
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Bad look now interviewing an internal candidate not named Kyle Smith
__________________
2020 NFC East Champions

The game plan is what the game plan will be
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:26 AM   #178
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Posts: 18,907
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Bad look now interviewing an internal candidate not named Kyle Smith
No one outside the organization has asked to look at Kyle. The handwringing on this site is a bit misguided.

1) Kyle just got promoted last year, and given RR's general attitudes, I choose to believe that he has laid out his vision, and if there is a promotion path for Kyle

2) Multiple organizations are interviewing and hiring staff from other teams for open GM slots. Kyle's name has not been in the mix that I have heard.

3) While Kyle clearly has a solid track record in the organization for drafting, we have very little insight into his managerial abilities. I am reminded of the principle that one often gets hired one step above their abilities too quickly when they excel at a lower position.

4) It's Jan 16th, we have an amazing DLine, an up and coming WR/TE/RB, and we won the NFC East. Ron deserves the confidence that he will not purposefully tear down a major player in those accomplishments on a whim and without a plan.

- I reserve the right to retract all of this if Kyle is released/smeared/tarred and feathered by the owner
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:46 AM   #179
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 27,289
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
No one outside the organization has asked to look at Kyle. The handwringing on this site is a bit misguided.

1) Kyle just got promoted last year, and given RR's general attitudes, I choose to believe that he has laid out his vision, and if there is a promotion path for Kyle

2) Multiple organizations are interviewing and hiring staff from other teams for open GM slots. Kyle's name has not been in the mix that I have heard.

3) While Kyle clearly has a solid track record in the organization for drafting, we have very little insight into his managerial abilities. I am reminded of the principle that one often gets hired one step above their abilities too quickly when they excel at a lower position.

4) It's Jan 16th, we have an amazing DLine, an up and coming WR/TE/RB, and we won the NFC East. Ron deserves the confidence that he will not purposefully tear down a major player in those accomplishments on a whim and without a plan.

- I reserve the right to retract all of this if Kyle is released/smeared/tarred and feathered by the owner
First, my that statement isnt a knock against Ron.

Im not saying this your points arent correct. But what football people says outside the organization matters...Especially those coaching teams to Super Bowls ie Kyle Shanny, McVay, and possibly Matt LaFleur who were once with the all with the org. They are big fans and they each know talent.

Too me, its a what have you done lately league. So Hurney or Mayhew are auto trash hires imo. Hiring them to lose Kyle...big fuckin mistake.

Kyle On talent eval in the draft, as well as free agency Id say hes done a great job especially in an org that has mismanaged everything.

Id give him a GM interview because he has simply earned with this team..it then becomes an opportunity to say, this isnt the time, heres what wed like to see more of but how about a re-title, bump in pay, etc type discussion.
__________________
2020 NFC East Champions

The game plan is what the game plan will be
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 10:54 AM   #180
Chief X_Phackter
Playmaker
 
Chief X_Phackter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 2,541
Re: What happens with Kyle Smith?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
First, my that statement isnt a knock against Ron.

Im not saying this your points arent correct. But what football people says outside the organization matters...Especially those coaching teams to Super Bowls ie Kyle Shanny, McVay, and possibly Matt LaFleur who were once with the all with the org. They are big fans and they each know talent.

Too me, its a what have you done lately league. So Hurney or Mayhew are auto trash hires imo. Hiring them to lose Kyle...big fuckin mistake.

Kyle On talent eval in the draft, as well as free agency Id say hes done a great job especially in an org that has mismanaged everything.

Id give him a GM interview because he has simply earned with this team..it then becomes an opportunity to say, this isnt the time, heres what wed like to see more of but how about a re-title, bump in pay, etc type discussion.
To be where he is at this point of his short career (Vice President of player personnel), three years removed from being a "regional" scout is pretty good. He probably has an eye for talent, and helped with the previous three drafts, but he's probably just not ready.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Football Team or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.47538 seconds with 10 queries