Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Redskins pay or trade Trent Williams?
Pay him 34 46.58%
Trade him 39 53.42%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 02:22 PM   #211
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Trent Williams holding out for new deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
can't believe there is 14 pages to this thread when the answer is simple. Does not matter what team we are talking about, the owners holds all of the cards. the player has absolutely zero leverage. That is the way it is done with nfl contracts and it was collectively bargained. Meaning the players union agreed to it.

The team does not have to do anything. Nothing. Talk new deal all you want, but the facts of the matter are this:

- tw has 2 years on his current contract.
- ownership retains his rights unless he is released, or they let him walk after the contract is done.
- even if tw says "eff-u, i'm retiring". If he 'unretires' in say 2 years, washington still owns his rights and he is back at square one. But 2 years older and 2 years removed from football. And still a washington redskin.

He can demand his release all he wants. When the club does not release him, his only recourse is either:
- holdout into the regular season, thereby leaving millions on the table when he is not getting paid and being fined.
- play

this is a game of chicken williams cannot win.

That is it. Club does not have to do anything, again they hold 100% all of the leverage in this.

I stand my my previous statement that once game checks and paydays are at stake, trent williams will shut up about this, have a change of heart and suit up. Of course there will be the obligatory-face-saving press release from trents camp that goes a little like "trent wants to put his entire focus on the redskins season and does not want any distractions regarding contract negotiations to hinder that, therefore it is his decision that he will forego any contract negotiations until the end of the season."

sound familiar? That press release is a template on every agents office365.
Just so happens the end of the regular season is when he will have 1 season on his current deal. That is when a deal gets done.
bingo

Advertisements
Old 06-07-2019, 02:33 PM   #212
MTK
\m/

The exception comes with star players, that's their leverage. Otherwise holdouts would never work. Star players get their way more often than not.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #213
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
The exception comes with star players, that's their leverage. Otherwise holdouts would never work. Star players get their way more often than not.
I will concede your point. But the only time it has worked in the players favor was when Emmitt Smith held out in 1993. Smith held out for the first 2 weeks of the regular season, and the Cowboys started out 0-2. Smith got his payday that week and Dallas went 14-2 after that.

BUT>....that was a different time and a different CBA. I cannot recall a recent holdout except for LaVeon Bell. But Steelers run game did not slip too much without Bell last season.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #214
Tennskinsfan
Camp Scrub

Quote:
I will concede your point. But the only time it has worked in the players favor was when Emmitt Smith held out in 1993. Smith held out for the first 2 weeks of the regular season, and the Cowboys started out 0-2. Smith got his payday that week and Dallas went 14-2 after that.

BUT>....that was a different time and a different CBA. I cannot recall a recent holdout except for LaVeon Bell. But Steelers run game did not slip too much without Bell last season.
That’s the thing out Oline would dramatically be downgraded without TW out there. With him continuing to age and his injury history. I would rather put him on the trading block and see what’s out there while he is still worth something than to have him be this years Mason Foster. His position and the lack of depth we have there puts quite a bit of power in his hands. Yes the Redskins hold his fate but he can put forth the bare minimum and we lose all around.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #215
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

So now that Bruce has talked to the media, what will Sheehan and Loverro criticize Allen for now?

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington...now-what-truth
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:23 PM   #216
mitch e
Camp Scrub

maybe Atl would trade McGary straight up for TW. we could free up cap space and get a good young nasty tackle?
Old 06-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #217
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
So now that Bruce has talked to the media, what will Sheehan and Loverro criticize Allen for now?

FYI cooley on Sheehan today and it’s good. Cooley said this is a big deal especially when Trent is probably the most respected player on the team. Cooley said he couldn’t imagine the team doctor not giving Trent proper time, advice and treatment.

He Gets Us
Old 06-07-2019, 03:35 PM   #218
skinsfan69
Living Legend

sandtrapjack... we literally have nothing behind Williams. And at some point we'll be playing a rookie QB. That is his leverage. Yeah the team has more leverage, but he does have some.

I'm also confused why they didn't resign Ty. The Bills didn't give him a huge contract.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:48 PM   #219
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
sandtrapjack... we literally have nothing behind Williams. And at some point we'll be playing a rookie QB. That is his leverage. Yeah the team has more leverage, but he does have some.

I'm also confused why they didn't resign Ty. The Bills didn't give him a huge contract.
Ty probably wanted to leave so he could start in Buffalo
Old 06-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #220
MTK
\m/

Quote:

Usually it doesn't get to holdout, players renegotiate deals all the time
Old 06-07-2019, 04:02 PM   #221
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
FYI cooley on Sheehan today and it’s good. Cooley said this is a big deal especially when Trent is probably the most respected player on the team. Cooley said he couldn’t imagine the team doctor not giving Trent proper time, advice and treatment.
Yeah, I listed to it as well. We certainly don't have all the details, but more likely than not, this is almost entirely about the money.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:08 PM   #222
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post

We already have the highest paid offensive line in the league... and we're trying to extend Scherff. Spending $6-7M on a backup tackle would have been incredibly foolish. As would giving TW more money now.

This is the reality of the salary cap, having other needs, and 12% of your cap used up by Alex Smith for the next two years.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:23 PM   #223
calia
Playmaker

Quote:

Nothing good can come of Bruce Allen speaking on this subject. Nothing. I would literally prefer anyone else in the organization. At least Allen didn't call him "Brent."
Old 06-07-2019, 07:29 PM   #224
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
We already have the highest paid offensive line in the league... and we're trying to extend Scherff. Spending $6-7M on a backup tackle would have been incredibly foolish. As would giving TW more money now.

This is the reality of the salary cap, having other needs, and 12% of your cap used up by Alex Smith for the next two years.
I don't why but I was under the impression that we could cut Smith at the end of the 2019 season, apparently we kinda can't:

https://overthecap.com/player/alex-smith/784/
Old 06-07-2019, 10:38 PM   #225
5superbowls3wins
Impact Rookie

Trent Williams holding out for new deal

I’m sure it’s been mentioned, but my problem with Trent on this is WHY would you wait until now? You’ve had all offseason to raise these concerns, and it comes out the day OTAs start. It puts the entire team, planning, offense, and cap in jeopardy.

Either it shows he doesn’t give a shit about the team, or he’s been complaining privately all offseason, and the front office hasn’t done anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Closed Thread