Debating with the enemy

Old 04-22-2021, 02:02 AM   #31
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: The law enforcement thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comment...lumbus_police/

It's funny, Lebron pulled a dumbass move and used his platform to push back against the cop before he watched the video.

Literally as soon as we see video it can change the entire narrative. Video doesn't lie.

I'd like to excuse the actions of the people who immediately questioned why a cop would shoot a knife-wielding maniac, but I'm gonna stay out of that one. It's easy to condemn them while we sit here in our comfy chairs chatting on a forum, but the shock of the situation means we all would react in our own way. I stand by the cop on that one.
I love his reasoning for deleting the tweet too. It wasn't because he clearly posted it before watching the video, it was because other people didn't understand his general frustration and/or other people were using it to create more hate.

Nothing to do with him fucking up.

He should have just manned up and said something like:

Out of frustration, I rushed to judgment on this matter and spoke too soon. In hindsight, that is my bad.

Instead, we get a cop-out excuse and blaming everyone else.

Last edited by sdskinsfan2001; 04-22-2021 at 11:51 AM.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-11-2022, 11:45 AM   #32
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Why catch criminals when you can catch a snorlax?

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles...-in-pokemon-go
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 04:48 PM   #33
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Why catch criminals when you can catch a snorlax?

https://www.invenglobal.com/articles...-in-pokemon-go
The audacity of them to challenge it on the grounds that police didn't have the right to review the dash cam footage of them ignoring the robbery call is just amazing.

In what world do people think they have the right to privacy from their employers while they're on the clock and on their property?
Old 01-12-2022, 07:43 AM   #34
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Normally I'd agree with you Mooby but since they were not using company time to chase a Togetic but were for a Snorlax I think they are forgiven.

TBH if this was teacher that did this it would have been front page news and people would have been in a tizzy. But since it the popo they are just jovial individuals filled with mirth and whimsy meaning no harm.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 08:35 AM   #35
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Nobody wants to talk about that Washington state trooper that just died after telling the governor to kiss his ass for the vaccine mandate?

Thought this was interesting too.

Really had no idea autoerotic asphyxiation was such a threat to the LE community.
Old 03-23-2022, 12:14 PM   #36
SunnySide
Playmaker

Clever Georgia deputies use fake DUI stop to lure real DUI drivers into trap
WSBTV.com News Staff
Mon, March 21, 2022, 4:55 PM

Deputies in south Georgia came up with a devious way of catching suspected DUI drivers, according to WGXA.

Officers gathered on Highway 358 in Twiggs County on Saturday to conduct “Operation Wrong Exit.”

The premise was simple: Drivers had the option to go through a fake DUI checkpoint or take the exit. The only catch? People who got off at the exit were met with the real DUI checkpoint.

“Those are the ones we’re looking for ... if they choose to get off this exit, up here is actually where the checkpoint is,” Sheriff Darren Mitchum told WGXA.

According to WXGA, “Those who decide to pull a fast one and exit off to avoid the checkpoint, get pulled over, prompting a search and an actual check.”

Drivers who chose to risk the DUI checkpoint were in the clear.

“There’s only four things that would get you arrested: if you’re driving impaired, if you have a warrant, if you have a suspended license, [or] if you are carrying drugs,” Mitchum said.

Mitchum said that the department has made nearly 200 arrests since they started the operation three years ago. He said the operation has been effective in risk prevention, prosecuting violators, and increasing voluntary compliance.

This year’s operation has successfully prosecuted 30 people so far.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/clever-ge...205545004.html
------------------------

The Court ruled that the 1.5 percent arrest rate was sufficient to establish the checkpoint as a reasonable law enforcement technique to combat a serious public danger. The Court also held that the Michigan checkpoint policy was not sufficiently intrusive to be an unconstitutional intrusion into the liberty of the drivers stopped.
https://www.ojp.gov/ncjrs/virtual-li...considerations

---------------
4A protects against unreasonable search and seizure. Terry stops, brief detentions, were allowed when there wasnt PC but a reasonable articulable suspicion of criminal activity afoot. Of course officers have abused Terry to justify prejudice and bias against POC.

Furtive movements = put his hands in his pockets, this area is a high crime area = police can arrest black people for having their hands in their pockets

SCOTUS in Stitz re dui check points found a 1.5% arrest rate = cops can blanket stop and demand your papers without any reasonable articulable suspicion or PC.

idk .. always seemed unconstitutional to me
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 01:16 AM   #37
nonniey
The Starter

This guy can't count but still a good review of 9 (not five) bad prosecutors.

"The Five Worst Prosecutors in America
In 1940, Attorney General Robert Jackson proclaimed, “While the prosecutor at his best is one of the most beneficent forces in our society, when he acts from malice or other base motives, he is one of the worst........

....In one of the most perplexing decisions of her tumultuous tenure, Foxx decided not to charge gang members after a midday Wild West-style shootout in a crowded neighborhood, initially claiming that the legal doctrine of “mutual combat” precluded charges. Even liberal Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot denounced Foxx, stating, “We can’t live in a world where there’s no accountability.” One person was killed in the shootout and two were injured. Foxx eventually agreed to press charges, but only against one gang member, and only for the offense of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, not murder.......

https://www.city-journal.org/five-wo...cutors-america
nonniey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 08:29 AM   #38
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonniey View Post
This guy can't count but still a good review of 9 (not five) bad prosecutors.

"The Five Worst Prosecutors in America
In 1940, Attorney General Robert Jackson proclaimed, “While the prosecutor at his best is one of the most beneficent forces in our society, when he acts from malice or other base motives, he is one of the worst........

....In one of the most perplexing decisions of her tumultuous tenure, Foxx decided not to charge gang members after a midday Wild West-style shootout in a crowded neighborhood, initially claiming that the legal doctrine of “mutual combat” precluded charges. Even liberal Chicago mayor Lori Lightfoot denounced Foxx, stating, “We can’t live in a world where there’s no accountability.” One person was killed in the shootout and two were injured. Foxx eventually agreed to press charges, but only against one gang member, and only for the offense of aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, not murder.......

https://www.city-journal.org/five-wo...cutors-america
Glad to see Mosby on there she is awful. All the things in there about her are true. She should have been bounced by voters after the Freddie Gray debacle. That was a slam dunk case against one officer, instead she charged every single officer to come in contact with him. Completely started the alienation of our police force and he route down the de-prosecution of criminals.
Old 05-12-2022, 08:33 AM   #39
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
Glad to see Mosby on there she is awful. All the things in there about her are true. She should have been bounced by voters after the Freddie Gray debacle. That was a slam dunk case against one officer, instead she charged every single officer to come in contact with him. Completely started the alienation of our police force and he route down the de-prosecution of criminals.
Yup , I though she herself was indicted?
Old 06-21-2022, 02:01 PM   #40
MTK
\m/

This story just keeps getting worse

Texas official says Uvalde classroom door was unlocked, calls police response an 'abject failure'
Old 07-14-2022, 03:32 PM   #41
MTK
\m/

Man, the video of cops standing around and even retreating to the sound of gun shots, some of them looking at their phones, knowing that little kids are being killed... really tough to stomach

Video Deepens Uvalde Families’ Pain as Questions on Response Remain
Old 07-14-2022, 04:15 PM   #42
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Man, the video of cops standing around and even retreating to the sound of gun shots, some of them looking at their phones, knowing that little kids are being killed... really tough to stomach

Not going to lie , I saw it once and I started to cry. I won't watch it ever again. All the Police there should go to jail. The lawsuits alone will bankrupt the Town.
Old 07-14-2022, 06:57 PM   #43
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Sickening for sure.
Chief X_Phackter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 08:20 PM   #44
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post

https://www.kbtx.com/2022/07/14/uval...ring-shooting/

Context matters.

I'm not stupid enough to defend the LE approach in Uvalde - the "sit on your ass and wait for tactical" approach hasn't been in use since Columbine for good reason. But maybe this officer was checking his phone so he could make contact with his wife to make sure she was ok. Either way - his wife is dead so I don't feel the need to shit on him for checking his phone.

I think this one falls on leadership because the leadership in place failed with their response and nobody else was willing to step up and take charge. Kids - and his wife - most likely died because they bled out while everybody was standing around.

Guess the LE around the US needs to tighten up before the next one - because some of us are comfortable with the status quo and would rather innocent people die than not allow a pissed off 18 year old to buy an AR-15.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:19 AM   #45
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
https://www.kbtx.com/2022/07/14/uval...ring-shooting/

Context matters.

I'm not stupid enough to defend the LE approach in Uvalde - the "sit on your ass and wait for tactical" approach hasn't been in use since Columbine for good reason. But maybe this officer was checking his phone so he could make contact with his wife to make sure she was ok. Either way - his wife is dead so I don't feel the need to shit on him for checking his phone.

I think this one falls on leadership because the leadership in place failed with their response and nobody else was willing to step up and take charge. Kids - and his wife - most likely died because they bled out while everybody was standing around.

Guess the LE around the US needs to tighten up before the next one - because some of us are comfortable with the status quo and would rather innocent people die than not allow a pissed off 18 year old to buy an AR-15.
I’m aware of that one cops situation conversing with his wife, maybe that’s what they were all doing when they were looking at their phones, who knows, the optics aren’t great regardless. Really wasn’t the point though, bottom line is kids were dying while the cops did nothing. I wasn’t trying to single out that one guy. The whole situation was so fucked up. Those families deserve answers.