Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

2014 salary cap....and the money we have

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-29-2014, 03:55 AM   #91
Skins4L
Impact Rookie

Re: 2014 salary cap....and the money we have

Yea lets ink orak & hall back. Then at least 4 new faces in dc i think grudens got this...

Advertisements
Old 01-29-2014, 12:22 PM   #92
SkinsFanOttawa
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
CC your sheets make things so easy to analyze. I saw OvertheCap's stuff and the numbers looked good, but honestly it's too hard to deal with. Yours are the most well-laid out on the web.

After a first-cut analysis, I think these are the obvious moves you can expect to see:

- The team is likely to approach Trent Williams about an extension to bring his $11M cap hit down in 2014. They could restructure his $7.25M base salary into a signing bonus, plus add additional guarantees to lock him in for a long time while bringing down the cap number.

- The team will take a hard line with Josh Morgan. Accept a pay cut or begone. The team has all the leverage with him.

- While I'm not as sure as I am with Trent, I think they'd approach Kerrigan (if not this spring then sometime in the summer) to extend him.

- Polumbus is a goner.

- They will have a tough call on Carriker, cutting him would free some space. But not oodles. They can afford to keep him no doubt. I'll bet Haslett goes to bat for him and they give him another shot. If he can't make it back he'll be a camp casualty.
Great post Schneed I agree with a lot of what you're suggesting. I think Polumbus should be released as well especially after the escalator of $500K to his contract last week. He would free up $1.5M in cap space right there.

I think they should just let Morgan walk and swallow the dead money. As someone mentioned above his contract is outrageous. What were they thinking giving him that kind of $?

I think they should hang on to Cofield another year at least but I wouldn't mind seeing them cut loose Carriker, Chester, Bowen and Rocca. That would be over $9.1M of savings right there. Enough to use towards Orakpo's contract. If they cut loose Meriweather there's another $2.2M in savings.

Also I'm wondering what you guys think about possibly cutting loose Roy Helu Jr? I like the guy and think he's a formidable change of pace back. But, like Polumbus he also got an escalator, roughly $700K actually. That brings his contract to $1.5M with only $100K of dead money for a possible savings of $1.4M. That make him making 2.5 times more than Morris who is the starter. If they let him go, they can develop Chris Thompson into the 3rd down back or go for someone in the draft or FA. What do you think?
Old 01-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #93
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsFanOttawa View Post
Great post Schneed I agree with a lot of what you're suggesting. I think Polumbus should be released as well especially after the escalator of $500K to his contract last week. He would free up $1.5M in cap space right there.

I think they should just let Morgan walk and swallow the dead money. As someone mentioned above his contract is outrageous. What were they thinking giving him that kind of $?

I think they should hang on to Cofield another year at least but I wouldn't mind seeing them cut loose Carriker, Chester, Bowen and Rocca. That would be over $9.1M of savings right there. Enough to use towards Orakpo's contract. If they cut loose Meriweather there's another $2.2M in savings.

Also I'm wondering what you guys think about possibly cutting loose Roy Helu Jr? I like the guy and think he's a formidable change of pace back. But, like Polumbus he also got an escalator, roughly $700K actually. That brings his contract to $1.5M with only $100K of dead money for a possible savings of $1.4M. That make him making 2.5 times more than Morris who is the starter. If they let him go, they can develop Chris Thompson into the 3rd down back or go for someone in the draft or FA. What do you think?
One of the key things I like to keep in mind this time of year is replacement value. When considering cutting a player you have to look at what you think you can get to replace the guy and at what cost. Helu has some value, he is an able pass protector, understands hot routes, and is a reliable receiver. He makes a good 3rd down back. If there is someone in free agency who you could sign for cheaper than a $1.5M cap hit, who would do a better job, then you do it. If not, you keep him. I don't like our chances of finding a better 3rd down back for less than $1.5M.

You can always draft someone and see if they can push Helu out of his spot in camp, at which time you could cut Helu and realize the savings then. But I don't think we're in any position to give away depth. I'd keep him and I think they will.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:59 PM   #94
DCtoAZ
Impact Rookie

Helu for 1.5 million .. come on people that's chump change and he's proven to be solid especially as a 3rd down back .. silly to think about getting rid of him
DCtoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:04 PM   #95
Schneed10
A Dude

As is natural, we tend to look at CC's cap sheets and scan for the opportunities for savings. So naturally we look at the bigger contracts first and then go down the list.

Helu is fairly high on the list for cap savings opportunities, even at only $1.5 million. But that speaks to the favorable cap position we find ourselves in much less than it does about whether Helu is worth the money.

We should be in add mode, not cut & replace mode. I expect we will be releasing very few players this offseason.
Old 01-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #96
SkinsFanOttawa
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoAZ View Post
Helu for 1.5 million .. come on people that's chump change and he's proven to be solid especially as a 3rd down back .. silly to think about getting rid of him
I was just throwing it out there, don't necessarily think it's the best thing to do. All I was trying to get at is if Thompson can fill his shoes as the 3rd down scat back then it's a savings of over a mill. I thought we were here to discuss such possibilities or else what is the point of this thread?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #97
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
CC your sheets make things so easy to analyze. I saw OvertheCap's stuff and the numbers looked good, but honestly it's too hard to deal with. Yours are the most well-laid out on the web.
Thanks Schneed. Matty deserves a lot of credit for getting the sheets to come out so nice on the web.

Quote:
The team is likely to approach Trent Williams about an extension to bring his $11M cap hit down in 2014. They could restructure his $7.25M base salary into a signing bonus, plus add additional guarantees to lock him in for a long time while bringing down the cap number.
I thought of this as well. I think next year it's a no-brainer, not sure about this year. We already have too much cap space this year. Orakpo's rated 3rd amongst free agents so where are we gonna spend $30M? So it's not an emergency for TW to restructure. That being said, I don't like the idea of TW playing out a contract year in 2015. So I'd like to sign him long-term as well, just not sure how much cap space we need to save this year.

Quote:
The team will take a hard line with Josh Morgan. Accept a pay cut or begone. The team has all the leverage with him.
They don't need to take a hard line because there's 0% chance Morgan comes back on that contract. So basically he's a free agent already and should be viewed as such.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 02:54 PM   #98
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
They don't need to take a hard line because there's 0% chance Morgan comes back on that contract. So basically he's a free agent already and should be viewed as such.
Is there a void clause with him?
Old 01-29-2014, 02:59 PM   #99
skinsfan69
Living Legend

[QUOTE=SkinsFanOttawa;1057804]Great post Schneed I agree with a lot of what you're suggesting. I think Polumbus should be released as well especially after the escalator of $500K to his contract last week. He would free up $1.5M in cap space right there.

Also I'm wondering what you guys think about possibly cutting loose Roy Helu Jr? I like the guy and think he's a formidable change of pace back. But, like Polumbus he also got an escalator, roughly $700K actually. That brings his contract to $1.5M with only $100K of dead money for a possible savings of $1.4M. That make him making 2.5 times more than Morris who is the starter. If they let him go, they can develop Chris Thompson into the 3rd down back or go for someone in the draft or FA. What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Terrible idea. Helu is a good football player and proven. This is how you build a good team. Have good depth. What if Morris turns a knee and is out for 8 weeks? Then you have Thompson as your RB. No thanks. We've got two guys in Morris and Helu who can carry the rock.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 03:51 PM   #100
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
Is there a void clause with him?
Ya looks like team void option after 2013.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:12 PM   #101
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
I thought of this as well. I think next year it's a no-brainer, not sure about this year. We already have too much cap space this year. Orakpo's rated 3rd amongst free agents so where are we gonna spend $30M? So it's not an emergency for TW to restructure. That being said, I don't like the idea of TW playing out a contract year in 2015. So I'd like to sign him long-term as well, just not sure how much cap space we need to save this year.
they can restructure/sign him long term right now, and leave his 2014 numbers alone, right? hell, maybe even move more of his contract into 2014 - if there's a surplus of cap space.

but we had better be careful, if we best utilize the salary cap, we may be accused of violating the spirit of the salary cap.