Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Coronavirus (sports edition) thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-30-2021, 08:11 AM   #151
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Coronavirus (sports edition) thread

I agree they are unique but disagree that the sample size is significant relative to all highly trained individuals. In addition, the biggest single question mark is that of time, especially how being given even the low dose of covid required in the vaccine affects an athlete when exerting extreme physical activity. These 2500+ you speak of have not gone through GameDay type exertion, will the vaccinated carry and release covid at a greater rate than the general public, players can't possibly know that because the circumstance has never existed.

I don't belong to the group that doubts big pharma so I am not sure why you mention that, seems like you may be making assumptions without facts.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-30-2021, 08:41 AM   #152
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I agree they are unique but disagree that the sample size is significant relative to all highly trained individuals. In addition, the biggest single question mark is that of time, especially how being given even the low dose of covid required in the vaccine affects an athlete when exerting extreme physical activity. These 2500+ you speak of have not gone through GameDay type exertion, will the vaccinated carry and release covid at a greater rate than the general public, players can't possibly know that because the circumstance has never existed.

I don't belong to the group that doubts big pharma so I am not sure why you mention that, seems like you may be making assumptions without facts.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
A fair point about exersion, but I was talking about NFL players, not those young and in good condition,there are only 2600 or so NFL players. The olympics happening now with several thousand athletes who are exerting themselves to the extremes would seem to add significantly to that data set

I was not attempting to generalize about your specific position with regards big pharma, more an observation from an external perspective there appears to be a greater distrust in the US than elsewhere, apologies if I did not make that clear
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:41 AM   #153
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Pork, and anyone else who hasn’t been vaccinated: You should expect to get this Delta variant. I respect and agree you should have choice and it should always be a choice but the data shows the greatest strength is it’s ability to be spread. The data shows also if your are vaccinated, you have protection against it and if you happen to get it (rare) it will keep you out of the hospital.

But the unvaccinated should expect to get the delta variant, I wouldn’t have said that with the previous covid virus and prior strains.

I see you often speak in absolutes. I'm not saying you're ignorant, but speaking in absolutes is an ignorant approach.

I hope you are aware that the vaccinated has just as high, if not higher risk, to contract the delta variant. I hope you're also aware that the unvaccinated may OR may not contract the variant.

Keep believing everything being told to you by mainstream media.
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:45 AM   #154
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkSkins View Post
I see you often speak in absolutes. I'm not saying you're ignorant, but speaking in absolutes is an ignorant approach.

I hope you are aware that the vaccinated has just as high, if not higher risk, to contract the delta variant. I hope you're also aware that the unvaccinated may OR may not contract the variant.

Trying my hardest to stay out of the COVID discussion, but this is untrue:

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/5-...-variant-covid

Vaccinated people ARE more vulnerable than previous strains, but there is ample evidence that has come out from numerous sources in the past few days that while protection is lower, you're still much less likely to get it.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:47 AM   #155
MTK
\m/

Getting the virus and getting seriously ill are two different ball games. Best of luck to those choosing not to take the shot. Talk to your doctor if you have doubts or questions.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:59 AM   #156
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

In bold, I don’t think you realize how ABSOLUTELY ridiculous this statement is when referring to media and my opinions on the media.

And the vaccinated are absolutely more protected against the delta…there is no argument against that. Simply look at infection rates and who is in the hospital and deaths with covid confirmed with delta. Overwhelming the unvaccinated.

I also strongly believe I shouldn’t be made to wear a mask if vaccinated. The data for that hasn’t been provided…and the vaccine works.

Bro…understand I want you to be safe and I’m not going to ridicule you if you’re not vaccinated, that’s your choice.

But the delta is extremely contagious…it’s very likely unvaccinated will get it.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:27 AM   #157
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
Trying my hardest to stay out of the COVID discussion, but this is untrue:

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/5-...-variant-covid

Vaccinated people ARE more vulnerable than previous strains, but there is ample evidence that has come out from numerous sources in the past few days that while protection is lower, you're still much less likely to get it.
Do more research if you think the quote you bolded is false. Vaccinated people has just as much of a risk of contracting the variant than the unvaccinated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...mask-guidance/

There's other reports of what I've stated. There's also counties in the Bay area of California, which has a highest numbers of vaccination, but also some of the highest new case rates. I'm having trouble with the link, but I'll post it when I get a chance.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:40 AM   #158
SmittyD58
Camp Scrub

Lightbulb Re: Coronavirus (sports edition) thread

One important fact that we do not hear enough about anywhere is that those of us who have previously had COVID now have natural immunity, as a result. The science tells us that this group does not need the vaccine. Vaccines are/were meant to replicate the effect of the actual infection as to creating antibodies and immunity.

I wonder how many unvaccinated players have already had COVID? This statistic should also be tracked and considered.
SmittyD58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:44 AM   #159
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Do more research if you think the quote you bolded is false. Vaccinated people has just as much of a risk of contracting the variant than the unvaccinated.

There's other reports of what I've stated. There's also counties in the Bay area of California, which has a highest numbers of vaccination, but also some of the highest new case rates. I'm having trouble with the link, but I'll post it when I get a chance.
I read that article and stand by my statement. You said you are at the same or higher risk of CONTRACTING the virus if you are fully vaccinated. Nowhere in that article does it state that. It DOES say that you can equally SPREAD it (not catch it) and I do agree with that.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:45 AM   #160
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Of course the NYT headline this morning as well as this Wa Post article is about as misleading and trash as ever. Cdc says it will make public the so called research today…which is convenient for a Friday news dump.

Another great example of terrible messaging by the administration pushed by “so called credibile” news org.

Does everyone see how this works? And why we have this predicament? JFC. This feeds the doubts about the vaccine

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:53 AM   #161
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyD58 View Post
One important fact that we do not hear enough about anywhere is that those of us who have previously had COVID now have natural immunity, as a result. The science tells us that this group does not need the vaccine. Vaccines are/were meant to replicate the effect of the actual infection as to creating antibodies and immunity.

I wonder how many unvaccinated players have already had COVID? This statistic should also be tracked and considered.
Matt Ioannidis tested positive again after having it last year, Lamar Jackson too. Science is now saying if you've had covid before, you should still get the vax. The prior exposure doesn't seem to offer a very long term immunity as far as we know right now.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:54 AM   #162
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Of course the NYT headline this morning as well as this Wa Post article is about as misleading and trash as ever. Cdc says it will make public the so called research today…which is convenient for a Friday news dump.

Another great example of terrible messaging by the administration pushed by “so called credibile” news org.

Does everyone see how this works? And why we have this predicament? JFC. This feeds the doubts about the vaccine
Both papers are using reports via CDC. Nevertheless, we obviously are on different fronts, so let's move on.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:59 AM   #163
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Matt Ioannidis tested positive again after having it last year, Lamar Jackson too. Science is now saying if you've had covid before, you should still get the vax. The prior exposure doesn't seem to offer a very long term immunity as far as we know right now.
Prior exposure and immunity depends on the person based on reports I've read. There's people who may have an immunity for several days where others could have it for decades.

Ioan Man and Jackson may not have any symptoms or little at all, but carriers. Remind you, there are people who has had it prior to vaccination and has been reinfected months later (after vaccination).
Old 07-30-2021, 11:12 AM   #164
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
My sister got COVID and she still had to get the vaccine. She had to wait two months after getting COVID, but they told her that she needed it regardless. I'm thankful she was able to pull through, but had a miserable time while she had it.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:26 AM   #165
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I do agree that ultimately people are making decisions based on their own risk assessment. Some are getting the vaccine because the risks associated with contracting the disease significantly outweigh the risks of any side effects from the vaccine. While others think the opposite - the risks of side effects, or unknown future/long term effects from the vaccine outweigh the risks associated with contracting the disease.
This was my reason for getting the vaccine. The longitudinal effects of the virus are also unknown. Most bugs that are health issues but not acutely fatal have significant long term consequences. To me the science is a no brainer, in the history of viruses the cures are not worse than the diseases. If I am going to have longitudinal effects it will be from something we will been mastering over a hundred years and not a bug in an evolutionary battle in my body. I get hesitancy especially the way it roled out, people choosing anecdotal stories as evidence (it is akin to a fear of flying because of a few bad flights or even knowing someone that died in a plane crash). If people need time that is cool I just hope they make sure they protect others by taking precautions as necessary.

In regards to the thread topic. Lamar Jackson second positive exposure. He was battling side effects for a few months well after contracting it first time.

With WFT I hope players do take precautions around Ron. He might be the best thing to happen to the franchise in a long time in terms of lasting impacts on culture and success. I'd hate for him to feel the juice isn't worth the squeeze and resign.

NFL policy have a zero problems with it (not a fan of the public sector policies). Players have a union they pay reps and if a contract is agreed upon that is your choice to agree to the contract or not play. Anecdotally that happened to my sister in law. She works for a Methodist church they said to keep your job you have to be vaccinated. Told her find a new job but that is where her heart is so she got it.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote