Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins trade for Alex Smith

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: Do you approve of the trade for Alex Smith?
Yes 50 58.14%
No 36 41.86%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2018, 02:00 AM   #151
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Redskins Trade for Alex Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Alright now this is getting silly. You wouldn’t trade a slot corner for a franchise QB?

@ByMikeJones

Kendall Fuller is indeed the player that the Redskins are sending to Chiefs along with the third-round pick. Chiefs fleece Skins. Fuller is the second-best CB on the team behind Josh Norman.

Alex Smith isn't a franchise QB....lol

https://twitter.com/MccloughanScot/s...64135888809984

@MccloughanScot

I would have never traded Kendall. He can play inside & outside, he's high character, young & a football player
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-31-2018, 02:12 AM   #152
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Re: Redskins trade for Alex Smith

Bruce Allen can't trade for shit. Dude is constantly getting swindled.

The Redskins finally addressed their QB situation with Alex Smith, but they overpaid to do so | NBC Sports Washington
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:23 AM   #153
calia
Playmaker

Bruce Allen couldn’t find his ass with both hands. He’s the quintessential village idiot. He’s Kato Kaelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2018, 02:43 AM   #154
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Losing Fuller really sucks. He's going to shine.

BUT our secondary is about the only area I really don't consider like one of need (Norman, Breeland, Moreau, Dunbar, Swearinger, Nicholson, Everett).
And we basically slided down in the 3rd round.

I'd say Chiefs can be happy with the trade, they probably got a little more value than we did...

BUT I've always liked Smith quite a lot, I have him on my Dynasty League so I always kept an eye on him. He's an accurate thrower, mobile QB, doesn't make a lot of bad decisions.

Overall I'm happy to be moving on from the Cousins debacle, and I think we got a solid QB, at a reasonable price.

Keep in mind we may very well be draft a QB this year (4th round?).

(EDIT: maybe not this year but next or the year after that)

Last edited by FrenchSkin; 01-31-2018 at 03:16 AM.
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:51 AM   #155
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Question: how does it work with Smith's contract extension?

He only had 1 year left on his Chiefs contract (which makes this trade a real win for them IMO), but he reportedly "agreed" to a 4 years extension with us.

Is there anything we can do to make his extension sort of part of the trade? Like if he doesn't sign it the trade is void ?
Old 01-31-2018, 02:53 AM   #156
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

People were going to hate how this ended no matter what. CB was and is a position of depth for us. And Alex Smith comes in to a good offensive situation where he will flourish under Gruden.

We basically traded a young CB for a stable QB for 5 years. Unless the NFL screws us the compensatory pick the draft picks should be a wash.

This trade likely will rank like the Portis/Bailey trade. We got a little bit of a short stick but the player we got will be a good teammate for the rest of his NFL career, and except in this case the player who was the fly in the ointment was KC instead of Bailey.

Where do I get my Alex Smith jersey :
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:06 AM   #157
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
People were going to hate how this ended no matter what. CB was and is a position of depth for us. And Alex Smith comes in to a good offensive situation where he will flourish under Gruden.

We basically traded a young CB for a stable QB for 5 years. Unless the NFL screws us the compensatory pick the draft picks should be a wash.

This trade likely will rank like the Portis/Bailey trade. We got a little bit of a short stick but the player we got will be a good teammate for the rest of his NFL career, and except in this case the player who was the fly in the ointment was KC instead of Bailey.

Where do I get my Alex Smith jersey :
Yeah, no way to please all sides with how this QB situation was going to end...no matter what the solution. I think I like Alex Smith's cap hit much more than I would have liked KC's. Let's lock up Zach Brown now, Davenport in round 1, OL in round 2...
Chief X_Phackter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:51 AM   #158
mahomes
Camp Scrub

Hello folks chief's fan here not to gloat at all but offer my sympathy. The worst thing about alex smith is the minnions you will get here.
They follow him not a team it is jim jones cult like creepy. I am sure you guys are like us and argue about draft picks and coaches like all fans but come gametime you are redskin fans. These people will come aboard and act like redskin fans but are alexsexuals. They made our chief's boards miserable.
When you lose it will be everyone's fault but alex. They will tell you that you are not a true redskin fan. That's right these idiots will tell you how to root for your team. Don't let alex only fans be a divisive force on your board. I have done my duty you have been warned.
mahomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:33 AM   #159
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I swear, our front office just sucks the fucking fan out of me. We just don't have competent people at the top of the organization.
skinsfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:31 AM   #160
30gut
Playmaker

It was a smart decision for the front office to get Alex Smith.....they had a plan and were able to execute that plan in the obvious case that Kirk was going to exercise the leverage they allowed him to gain.

And to be clear I am not absolving the FO of blame for their previous handling of the QB situation.

They screwed it up with Kirk. They should have given him a long-term deal 1-2 years ago AND they should have been drafting and grooming viable developmental QBs. They did neither and Kirk had them over a barrel as a result.

I don't think Kirk was worth highest QB in the league money.
I think Alex is at worst a "push" in terms of QB.

I don't like losing Fuller....but let's not kid ourselves we weren't getting Alex without trade compensation. Fuller was good but he wasn't a fulltime outside CB was the 3rd WR usually going against a team 3rd WR.

Welcome to Washington Alex!
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:34 AM   #161
Eagles1
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I hate giving up Fuller, that’s a valuable piece. But if you asked me if I’d rather give Fuller and a 3rd for Smith, or go for one of these other bad options, I think I’d take Alex Smith.

Here’s why:

Smith INTs the last three years, 5, 8, 7. Cousins, 13, 12, 11.

Smith’s fumbles 2, 7, 4. Cousins, 13, 9, 9.
Smith TD’s last 3 years: 20, 15, 26. In 14 he didn’t have one TD to a WR
Cousins last 3: 29, 25, 27.

Take the whole trade into consideration and I don’t get it.

Smith is not an upgrade at QB. At best call it a wash.
Fuller is a good slot corner which is a valuable commodity. Add to it that he’s on a rookie deal and it makes him more appealing. Unless the Skins have an in-house replacement they are going to have pay someone.
3rd rd pick

So basically the Skins gave up a young DB, and a 3rd for a 33 year old QB. There will be some cap savings but not a ton unless they can replace Fuller with another player on a rookie deal. Overall the team is worse now than before.
Eagles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:38 AM   #162
Eagles1
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Smith had the most plays and tds and highest completion percentage over 30 yards this year.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
And in his best year he still didn’t top KC’s TD totals. The Chiefs also have a hell of a lot more talent on O than the Skins. Smith isn’t throwing 26 TD’s with the players Cousins was working with.
Eagles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:40 AM   #163
irish
Playmaker

I thought the FO would find a way to screw this up but I never dreamed they'd botch it this bad. The Chiefs have to be laughing their A$$es of at this fleece job.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:44 AM   #164
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

WHy are u guys mad? Alex is a good proven winner, KC never won games. Both put up great numbers, SMith is older but for 3 years he'll shine in jays system... We had to make a move and they are paying him 23M a yr, not 28 OR 30. Fuller is a good player but that is the nature of the beast.. I am just happy its over
Old 01-31-2018, 06:57 AM   #165
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamf View Post
I complained about KC being check down Charlie, we actually went out and got the original check down Charlie.

I wonder if there is going to be competition for the job or if the use a 1st for a QB

Disregard. Smith is reportedly signed to a 4 year extension.
And both statements are wrong, kirk and Alex both were top 10 the last 2 years throwing deep

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk