Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

How Many Games Should We Test Haskins?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #76
Summo
The Bringer of Digital Bling

Re: How Many Games Should We Test Haskins?

I'm late to the party as usual, but why would they not leave him in the whole season? Where are they going this year?

Rivera said in his post game conference yesterday that he had the same situation with Cam Newton and two years later he was league MVP.

I'm not say Haskins is Cam but give the kid a chance and let him take his lumps.

I think the problem lies with Turner so far. He needs to help him out with easier throws, quicker ones behind that shit O-Line.

Visit my Socials: Twitter: @summo13 IGram:@summo13art
Summo is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #77
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Haskins and Cam actually are quite similar with the exception that Can runs more.

Cam was also horrible for a few years, I remember the fans wanting them to cut him pretty early on. Even in his successful years, he wasn't the greatest passer. If you look at his passing stats, he's really only had about 3 decent seasons and 1 good one.

Haskins has a far superior arm than Cam. He just needs to learn how to use it at this level. Once he does, the throws he'll be making will be fun to watch.

And Dwayne probably won't look like a pineapple.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #78
Summo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
Haskins and Cam actually are quite similar with the exception that Can runs more.

Cam was also horrible for a few years, I remember the fans wanting them to cut him pretty early on. Even in his successful years, he wasn't the greatest passer.

Haskins has a far superior arm than Cam. He just needs to learn how to use it at this level. Once he does, the throws he'll be making will be fun to watch.
EXACTLY! Everyone needs to chill the hell out.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:21 PM   #79
MTK
\m/

Sorry but Cam was far better right off the bat, he threw for 4000 yards as a rookie. Dwayne has a long way to go.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:24 PM   #80
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Sorry but Cam was far better right off the bat, he threw for 4000 yards as a rookie. Dwayne has a long way to go.
And almost as many INTS as TDs.

You're right, he did have a decent rookie year, then had several years of garbage play. He had one of the biggest sophomore slumps. Later on, he even had a season where he completed 52%. That's unacceptable for an NFL QB. He's been a sub-60% passer most years, his value comes in his ability to run. Once that's gone, he's done for good.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #81
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:

Cam was also horrible for a few years, I remember the fans wanting them to cut him pretty early on. Even in his successful years, he wasn't the greatest passer. If you look at his passing stats, he's really only had about 3 decent seasons and 1 good one.

And Dwayne probably won't look like a pineapple.

You think Haskins has a better arm than Cam?? IDK about that
Old 09-28-2020, 03:31 PM   #82
Summo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
He did twice in the last two games of the season that year when he (Most likely) finally fully grasped the offense. Hopefully well see the same maturation with Haskins

Old 09-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #83
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
You think Haskins has a better arm than Cam?? IDK about that
I do.
Old 09-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #84
RedskinJake
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Top 15?? You are being very generous lol. Haskins is bottom 2 right now since Mitch got benched.
Please read what I wrote. I did not say he was a top 15 QB. What I clearly said was that "Haskins has rarely shown flashes of anything above being a top 15, top 20 QB". Two different things.

And Matty. I know Trubisky isn't great but you can't tell me he is as bad as Haskins right now. A trade would give him new life on a new team and would give Haskins the same as well as an opportunity to sit back and learn under Foles. It would be a short term move that has upside.
RedskinJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #85
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
And almost as many INTS as TDs.

You're right, he did have a decent rookie year, then had several years of garbage play. He had one of the biggest sophomore slumps. Later on, he even had a season where he completed 52%. That's unacceptable for an NFL QB. He's been a sub-60% passer most years, his value comes in his ability to run. Once that's gone, he's done for good.

No he never had a sophomore slump let alone a big one. He had a higher rating as a passer and more yards rushing. He never ever had several years of garbage play. That is ridiculous. One year with a 52 percent completion percentage, but career 60 percent. Also you cannot just discount the rushing and say besides it he is just like Crapkins. Cam showed right off the bat he was good. Crapkins like maybe a few good quarters? They are absolutely nothing alike. Never were. Never will be.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:32 PM   #86
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summo View Post
He did twice in the last two games of the season that year when he (Most likely) finally fully grasped the offense. Hopefully well see the same maturation with Haskins

Yeah he had two 400 yard games to end the season but Matty said 4000 for the year. I pray that we see Haskins throw for 400 one time. He has never really sniffed 300. He isn’t going to run much so he better throw for alot.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:23 PM   #87
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Problem with Haskins is he isn’t showing growth. Bad feet, bad accuracy and no touch on his passes.
This is the problem, Haskins is regressing. He is reverting back to his bad habits. His footwork and placement is terrible and getting worse.
Haskins never learned and absorbed the fundamentals, he never learned the mental part of the game.
There was a more sane time in the NFL when players like Haskins carried a clip board, learned by watching and are coached up in practice for year or two. . Why is that so FUCKING TERRIBLE now in today's NFL? What is wrong with him taking the time to learn? Joe Theismann rode the bench for two years before starting.
RR is absolutely right it is not fair to the rest of the team, coaching staff and fans to force Haskins in when he is not ready. Most importantly it is not fair to Haskins to get his ego crushed every weekend. NFL defenses are no joke. There is no Tulane's or Wake Forest's in the NFL. Haskins is not ready to start even against Cleveland. Imagine if we were playing against a top team this past weekend.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:00 AM   #88
calia
Playmaker

Look at Cam’s numbers from the link I posted. His 1st two games were over 420 yards, his third was only 158 but they won, and his 4th was 374 yards. It is simply not the case that RR had to be as patient as DH will require with that kind of production in Cam’s 1st 4 rookie games. I don’t think there is any evidence that DH has a stronger arm and he can’t run like Cam. Point being - RR knew right away he had someone he could work with. He doesn’t have that now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #89
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
This is the problem, Haskins is regressing. He is reverting back to his bad habits. His footwork and placement is terrible and getting worse.
Haskins never learned and absorbed the fundamentals, he never learned the mental part of the game.
There was a more sane time in the NFL when players like Haskins carried a clip board, learned by watching and are coached up in practice for year or two. . Why is that so FUCKING TERRIBLE now in today's NFL? What is wrong with him taking the time to learn? Joe Theismann rode the bench for two years before starting.
RR is absolutely right it is not fair to the rest of the team, coaching staff and fans to force Haskins in when he is not ready. Most importantly it is not fair to Haskins to get his ego crushed every weekend. NFL defenses are no joke. There is no Tulane's or Wake Forest's in the NFL. Haskins is not ready to start even against Cleveland. Imagine if we were playing against a top team this past weekend.
You know why? his name is Dan Snyder. The only way Ron got the job is if Haskins got the option to start.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:47 AM   #90
AnonEmouse
The Starter

Thinking about RR's mentality, maybe it is an element of cancer treatment on the late game situations, but wouldn't JDR be taking him to task if he felt his judgement was affected? Maybe not really obviously but surely he'd have a word. Makes me think the coaching staff have a plan; not tanking but taking the first part of the season as the missed preseason. See what they have in the young guys etc. then build the core of the team in the latter part of the season. He must have seen enough with TC and the 1st 3 games to know we won't be competing for a playoff spot this year so why bust a gut and risk injuries (or embarrassment) going all out this early? Not saying I agree but I get it.

So his view on Haskins, in that light makes sense. Give the kid time. He knows Smith likely will never see the field again (except maybe a ceremonial last game snap/series), and if Allen were franchise calibre or even close he'd still be in Carolina. So why not let Haskins have the whole season? If he can't improve over 16 games, he won't improve in the offseason and he will know for sure he needs another QB. Allen is there as insurance if Haskins gets hurt or devolves so badly he has no choice but to pull him.

Makes sense with the others. Collins and Apke are 2 sides of the same coin; should be better than they are playing, but with capable backups. Collins is being paid too much to bench, but could be a casualty in the spring (will there be much cap damage if he's gone?). Apke has potential but isn't showing it. I'd say he's giving Collins the season like Haskins and Apke probably has 6-8 games before he gets replaced by Curl. Christian is just keeping a seat warm until Charles can be tested. Scherff is the biggest disappointment for me. At least with him down we can look at how the depth stacks up, but they must already be thinking about stocking up on 2nd/3rd round picks and drafting OL. Maybe they should have paid Scherff so he could at least be trade bait...

For the starters this season is the chance to show they deserve a spot next season. So far I'd say 15-17 will be on the roster next year. Right now I see Haskins, half the OL, an LB or two and both S's to be gone; they must be aware of this themselves so if they don't step up in the next 3-5 games (or at least show they are trying 100%) then look for mid season changes possibly excepting Haskins.

Could be a different team on the field after bye week...
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote