Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

More Complications: Mike Williams Enters Draft

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-25-2004, 02:19 PM   #1
Sheriff Gonna Getcha
Franchise Player

More Complications: Mike Williams Enters Draft

Okay, not that things were uncomplicated before this new development, but Mike Williams has decided to enter the draft and take advantage of the window of opportunity opened by Maurice Clarrett’s acceptance into the NFL.

For those of you unfamiliar with Mike Williams, he was considered the best receiver in the NCAA. He is a big, fast, good-handed freak of nature coming out of USC and he will almost undoubtedly will be picked in the top 5 in the upcoming draft.

Now this is why the move is so interesting. Larry Fitzgerald, Eli Manning, Ben Roethlisberger, and Robert Gallery were projected to be the top 4 draft prospects. However, indications are that Dennis Green (the Cardinal’s head coach) trusts Cade McCown’s abilities and he wants a top notch wideout to complement Anquan Boldin.
The Giants re almost a lock to take Robetr Gallery. The Raiders and the Chargers were expected to take either a quarterback or a receiver.

So, with the entry of Mike Williams, it is almost a guarantee that one of the following players will fall to the 5th overall spot: Mike Williams, Larry Fitzgerald, Ben Roethlisberger, and Eli Manning (not to mention Roy Williams). If either of those QBs or WRs fall into our laps, should we take them?

It would be awfully hard not to take Eli Manning, Larry Fitzgerald, or Mike Williams with the pick (even though we could really use Sean Taylor or trade down in the draft for more picks). Manning is expected to be as good as his older brother and the two receivers are supposedly the best two wideouts to enter the draft in years. We could trade Ramsey for a 1st rounder (considering he’s already disgruntled that might not be such a bad idea) or Gardner for a 2nd rounder (considering Williams and Fitzgerald will become far better than Gardner, if not Coles, that’s not too crazy either).

I’m personally tempted to get a bidding war going for our #5 pick, but Eli Manning would be VERY tempting.
Sheriff Gonna Getcha is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-25-2004, 02:33 PM   #2
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Eli a 'Skin?

I can't see Eli Manning making it to the 5th pick. Back when Peyton was coming to the league, everyone talked about Ryan Leaf and how is upside was so much better. Peyton was still the no. 1 pick and, years later, obviously deservedly so. It's gonna be the same deal with Eli. He's the only player in the draft that I would take in place of Ramsey. No one else is worth the gamble.

I'd want a first and a second for Ramsey, what do you think?
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 02:43 PM   #3
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

If someone wasent gonna give us a 1/2 for Bailey , they defintley wont for ramsey. I want to see Ramsey with the Skins. If Rothlesberger is around, we wont take him. The only one I could see us taking is Fitzgerld, unforunatley( WR?)
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:00 PM   #4
SkinsRock
Impact Rookie

This may actually work to our advantage in terms of trading down a couple spots and still getting Taylor. Other teams that are in need of a WR will be drooling to move up to snatch one of those guys.
SkinsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:03 PM   #5
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

I feel the same, I just have a good feeling about Ramsey. BUT, if Snyder is hell bent on running him out of town (actions speak louder than words) we better get something for him. I think as a potential pro-bowl qb with no character flaws, a 1 and a 2 isn't too high a price to ask from a really qb hungry team. As far as Bailey goes, I'll miss him, but I hated watching him get burned this year and his piss poor tackling was always a sore spot. He can be replaced with Antoine Winfield, Shawn Springs, Bobby Taylor, etc. I think that, disregarding the draft pick and looking at the trade player for player, we're much better off with Portis than Champ.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:19 PM   #6
cpayne5
Playmaker

I always thought of #24 as a good tackler for a CB. He didn't like tackling, but realized it was part of the job description and did it well. Remember how Pee-on used to 'tackle'? Champ may not be the best tackler in the league, but he's better than most.

Anyone remember the monday night game against Arizona when deion tackled Larry Centers by diving at his feet, and then the next time he tried it Centers hurdled him and went for a big game.
cpayne5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:28 PM   #7
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Uh, I seriously doubt you can blame Snyder for running Champ out of town. He did offer him a pretty fair contract, in my eyes.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 03:56 PM   #8
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Daseal:

By "him" I meant Ramsey. I was referring to the original contract negotiations, then the attempted trade, now the acquiring of Brunell. If you look at it from Ramsey's perspective, he can't feel much love from the front office. Although, obviously, if Snyder did want him gone he could be shopping him and he isn't.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:01 PM   #9
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpayne5
I always thought of #24 as a good tackler for a CB. He didn't like tackling, but realized it was part of the job description and did it well. Remember how Pee-on used to 'tackle'? Champ may not be the best tackler in the league, but he's better than most.

Anyone remember the monday night game against Arizona when deion tackled Larry Centers by diving at his feet, and then the next time he tried it Centers hurdled him and went for a big game.
I disagree, also, he seemed to get burned at the worst possible times. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this way... I forget the exact game, but there was one highlight this year when Champ completely pussed out when he was faking a tackle on someone. It made all the highlights but I'm drawing a blank. And yes, I hated "pee-on" just as much as you. I still think he signed with us on that ridiculous contract as a last favor to Jerry Jones, the son of a bitch.
Old 02-25-2004, 04:04 PM   #10
raleighskinsfan
Camp Scrub

I'm with Skinsfan on this one- that really intrigues me more in terms of being able to trade down and pick up some picks. We will only have 2 picks in the draft once the Portis deal is complete. Granted it would be great to pick up Williams, but we are set at QB so no Manning or Roethlesberger, and I would like to see us keep Ramsey. My dream situation here would be if we could trade down a few spots and still pick up either Sean Taylor or Kenechi Udeze and receive an additional second round pick where we could pick up a good D tackle... what would you guys think of that??
raleighskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 04:16 PM   #11
offiss

If 1 of those QB's drop's to us we would have a pretty nice bargaining chip with someone looking for a franchise QB. Although I like t. jacobs it is becoming abunduntly clear that we should have went in another direction last year we could have doss at saftey and be looking at a franchise type WR this year.
offiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #12
Phinehas
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighskinsfan
My dream situation here would be if we could trade down a few spots and still pick up either Sean Taylor or Kenechi Udeze and receive an additional second round pick where we could pick up a good D tackle... what would you guys think of that??
Absolutely, but are Detroit or Cleveland likely to have much more interest in Rothlisberger or Williams than we do?

I think we should trade down anyway, but if we could still pick up Sean Taylor, that would be incredible.

--Phin
Phinehas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 05:57 PM   #13
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Cleveland sure as hell should have a interest in both of them. They need both of those positions, I would think. Detriot has a frachise WR and QB in Rogers and Harrington, so I think they would take Taylor in a heartbeat. I think we would still have a chance for Udeze even as far as the 12-15 range.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:09 PM   #14
Phinehas
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
Detriot has a frachise WR and QB in Rogers and Harrington, so I think they would take Taylor in a heartbeat.
Which may explain why they turned luke-warm on the Bailey trade. If they draft Taylor and pick up one of the many decent CB's in free agency, their secondary is still greatly improved. Didn't it seem like their interest waned right around the time the rumours about Williams entering the draft started to surface? Maybe they did some draft math and figured they had a really good shot at Taylor.

And although Udeze would be a good pickup at 12-15, I still think Taylor is likely to be much more of an impact player. Seeing him in a Redskin uniform would be awesome, but we really need to trade down for an extra pick. It would be great if we could do both, but I supose it is pretty unlikely.

--Phin

Last edited by Phinehas; 02-25-2004 at 06:12 PM.
Phinehas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 06:19 PM   #15
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I agree 100%, I personally want us to just keep our #5 and take taylor. But I know, eventually we have to stop this draft trading nonsense and just have a full draft.