#39 David Amerson

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-05-2015, 08:06 PM   #31
Skinzman
The Starter

Re: #39 David Amerson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
No, but I'm apparently one of the few who understand that money matters. At least you don't appear to.

David Amerson is under a 2nd rounder's rookie contract, meaning he makes a lot more than a 7th rounder makes. And based on last year's performance, you'd have to say he's way overpaid based on that 2nd rounder's contract.

I'm not giving more than a 7th rounder if I have to pay a guy a 2nd rounder's salary, who I don't even know can stick on my team better than a 4th rounder I might find in the upcoming draft.

We found Breeland right? The Seahawks found Sherman in the 3rd. If you ask for more than a 7th teams will say screw that, I'm not paying Amerson's salary when I can just draft one in the middle rounds and have just as much a chance for success. Amerson will be a free agent in two years, if you draft a 4th rounder you'll get him for four years. Just doesn't make sense.

You can try to ask for more but I don't think you'll get it. That's why players' draft value falls so quickly after an inauspicious start to their career. Why trade for someone who has had a chance to prove themselves and hasn't, than just draft someone and give them their first chance?
Amersons salary cap hit is 1 mil next year. A 7th rounder isnt making most teams next year. No one is going to be scared away from a 1 mil cap hit if they believe the player can help them, even if as only a depth thing.

How many times does an NFL team trade a 5th or a 6th for a depth player? They may try to add the "has to make the team to get the pick" stipulation, but those types of trades happen. We had one a few years back with detroit and that safety was trash.

We are talking about a CB with size that has shown flashes and plays for a team that is widely considered bad at developing players. You are basing his value strictly on what you would pay based solely on one year, and we all know what some random person thinks is a value is rarely the actual value. There are plenty of teams that would offer a 5th or 6th for that, its happened way to much in the past to say it never happens. If it doesnt work out, there is a very good chance that the 5th or 6th round pick wouldnt work out either. So a lot of GM's will take chances on just those exact type of things with lower picks, and not just 7th's.
Skinzman is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-05-2015, 08:53 PM   #32
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

I think if it is a worry about potential lets wait to see what the new DC can accomplish. But hypothetically I don't see the value of trading Amerson for a 5th or 6th. If it is believed that he has potential to be a quality nickel or even a starter, why trade for a 5th or 6th that most likely won't make the team?
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:54 AM   #33
tc2deuce
Special Teams

Scouting report on Amerson when he was at NCSU was that he can't rebound after a double move by the WR and yet we drafted him!?!?! He is a safety so please move him there!
tc2deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #34
REDSKINS4ever
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc2deuce View Post
Scouting report on Amerson when he was at NCSU was that he can't rebound after a double move by the WR and yet we drafted him!?!?! He is a safety so please move him there!
Sometimes coaches and personnel people think that all a prospect needs is coaching.....the guy who drafted him (Mike Shanahan) is to blame.....this is the same guy who traded Kevin Barnes for a meaningless 5th round pick and didn't re-sign Cedric Griffin....both Barnes and Griffin are better in coverage than Amerson.....
Old 01-06-2015, 07:32 PM   #35
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSKINS4ever View Post
Sometimes coaches and personnel people think that all a prospect needs is coaching.....the guy who drafted him (Mike Shanahan) is to blame.....this is the same guy who traded Kevin Barnes for a meaningless 5th round pick and didn't re-sign Cedric Griffin....both Barnes and Griffin are better in coverage than Amerson.....
Shanahan drafted Amerson to play either bump and run with safety help, or play off-man in a zone. Not on-man.
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #36
MTK
\m/

Is Barnes even in the NFL right now? What are we talking about?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:22 PM   #37
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Next year will definitely be put up or shut up time for Mr. Amerson. Hopefully he won't be another wasted high draft choice.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 05:47 PM   #38
drew54
The Starter

Wikipedia tells me he has been out of football since May 13, 2013, lock it up
Old 01-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #39
Carnage
Special Teams

I'd say take a look at Dre Kirkpatrick. Took him 3 years, but with height athleticism and ball skills he has gone from bust to playing at a very high level.

Amerson's talent can make him frustrating to watch, but his trade value is nil, and he is a willing tackler with ball skills.
Carnage is offline   Reply With Quote