Locker Room Main Forum

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 11:56 AM   #31
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: Kirk Cousins 365 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins247 View Post
Just heard Dan Patrick discussing the "what if" scenario of Kyle becoming head coach of 49er's and trading their high 1st round pick for Cousins. I really don't think that WOULD happen...nor would I want it to. IMO there isn't a great QB in this draft and we'd probably be going with McCoy as the starter for next season. I don't see a likely scenario of anything outside of paying a LOT of $$$ for Kirk.
Just this year's first round pick? I hardly think so. It would have to be multiple picks including their 2017 first round pick.

Advertisements
Old 01-18-2017, 12:10 PM   #32
Kope
Special Teams

Okay so after 3 years of the Grud, 2 years of SM and 2 Years of KC, hear is where I am in the whole Cousins deal:

I am fine if we keep Cousins and he is paid long term (I prefer this, in fact).

I am also OK if Cousins gets traded for a couple of high picks and/or legit players.

I was surprised when I came to this realization in the week after the giants game. I am Gruden fan, SM fan and a KC fan. But I am not a KC fan at the expense of the entire team.

KC can win SBs here if the rest of the team is stout. He can also be Dan Fouts and Dan Marino tons of offense that can't win championships. I would rather see more championships than fantasy wasta.

To reiterate: I want to see long term deal where KC stays and wins a ton. But I am strangely OK with letting him walk if we get a good price. I love the direction the team is headed and firmly believe all we need is a couple more years to compete consistently.

side note, to those being hyper critical of living through a rebuild: I mean FFS - this is the first year we were in every game but 1 against a division champs schedule since...since....I don't know when..91 probably, and we won more than lost! Why cant we simply enjoy the progress....httr
Old 01-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #33
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kope View Post
Okay so after 3 years of the Grud, 2 years of SM and 2 Years of KC, hear is where I am in the whole Cousins deal:

I am also OK if Cousins gets traded for a couple of high picks and/or legit players.

I was surprised when I came to this realization in the week after the giants game. I am Gruden fan, SM fan and a KC fan. But I am not a KC fan at the expense of the entire team.

KC can win SBs here if the rest of the team is stout. He can also be Dan Fouts and Dan Marino tons of offense that can't win championships. I would rather see more championships than fantasy wasta.

To reiterate: I want to see long term deal where KC stays and wins a ton. But I am strangely OK with letting him walk if we get a good price. I love the direction the team is headed and firmly believe all we need is a couple more years to compete consistently.

side note, to those being hyper critical of living through a rebuild: I mean FFS - this is the first year we were in every game but 1 against a division champs schedule since...since....I don't know when..91 probably, and we won more than lost! Why cant we simply enjoy the progress....httr
What a rational and well thought out post Kope. I agree with 99% of it, for me the only minor difference is the asking price of KC for another team would have to be better than/as good as the price we gave up for RG3. I have waited too long to see a competent qb lead this team and I'm not willing to give him up that easily.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #34
Kope
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
What a rational and well thought out post Kope. I agree with 99% of it, for me the only minor difference is the asking price of KC for another team would have to be better than/as good as the price we gave up for RG3. I have waited too long to see a competent qb lead this team and I'm not willing to give him up that easily.
Agree that is the single biggest frustration with being a skins fan, QB play. So I guess I am used it and can wait longer if the team benefits from KC leaving.

the way I see QB play in DC is as follows: We havent had 3 consistent years of good QB play here since I have started watching in 81. Seriously - the only good QB we have drafted I think is Sammy Baugh. Two of our SB QBs were retreads, Ryp was not good except for the year he got sacked 9 times and our defense didnt allow a point at home until game 4 at home - not hard to play QB on a team like that. Even Sonny and Billy were not drafted here. so yeas I want KC here for 10+ years but I would rather have Lombardis #4,5,6 and three more average QBs.....
Old 01-18-2017, 04:18 PM   #35
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Agree that is the single biggest frustration with being a skins fan, QB play. So I guess I am used it and can wait longer if the team benefits from KC leaving.

the way I see QB play in DC is as follows: We havent had 3 consistent years of good QB play here since I have started watching in 81. Seriously - the only good QB we have drafted I think is Sammy Baugh. Two of our SB QBs were retreads, Ryp was not good except for the year he got sacked 9 times and our defense didnt allow a point at home until game 4 at home - not hard to play QB on a team like that. Even Sonny and Billy were not drafted here. so yeas I want KC here for 10+ years but I would rather have Lombardis #4,5,6 and three more average QBs.....
I also agree on your last point but I do not believe more rings are attainable with average qb play. NFL history has taught us that Gibbs' 3 titles with 3 qb's is the outlier, the majority of other rings have been won by teams with solid-to-elite qb play. Solid being Eli Manning, who is as clutch as anyone, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco. Still a small sample size in comparison to the list of teams who have won titles with above-average to elite qb play. Point is, if we let Cousins go, who knows how long it will take to get another decent qb. I don't want to take that risk.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:23 PM   #36
skinsfan69
Living Legend

We can pay KC 21-24 million a year and still build a good team around him. How much is Matt Ryan making? Probably somewhere in the low 20's with the current salary cap. The cap goes up the next few years. To me this isn't the issue. The issue comes down to whether Snyder/front office thinks he's worth that kind of money. My guess is they don't.

I would guess that KC will be here next year, maybe w/out a long term deal. But in 2018 he may not be. Especially if Kyle and Boy Wonder are going to be looking for a starter.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #37
Kope
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
I would guess that KC will be here next year, maybe w/out a long term deal. But in 2018 he may not be. Especially if Kyle and Boy Wonder are going to be looking for a starter.
Yes there should be room to pay him and have improved team - that is my hope and wish. However what will piss me off is if Cousins gets a good solid offer and makes us tag him again because he wants top 3 ish money - read is more worried about "respect" than winning championships. If cousins goes that route then tag him and get what we can.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:21 PM   #38
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I'm going a bit mad over this contract/signing/non-signing crap.
Can Cousins take us to a championship?
I think most people would say its definitely possible.
So then you pay him whatever the going rate is.
The going rate keeps going up but fortunately the salary cap does too.
He's got enough endorsements from fans/coaches.
Just sign him and draft a freakin pass rush.............
Old 01-18-2017, 07:17 PM   #39
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:

You nailed it bro this is exactly where I come down.

Preferably we'll hitch our wagon to him for three years and continue to take shots at QBs in the draft if we think we've got a Russell Wilson.

BPA rule applies to the QB position too.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:42 PM   #40
calia
Playmaker

For everyone who is OK with watching KC leave, I ask you to consider (I think I have everyone since we won a Superbowl):

RGIII
Rex Grossman
John Beck
Jason Campbell
Mark Brunell (the old one)
Donovan McNabb (same)
Todd Collins
Patrick Ramsey
Tim Hasselbeck
Shane Matthews
Danny Wuerffel
Tony Banks
Jeff George
Brad Johnson (well, that might have worked out)
Trent Green (same)
Gus Frerotte
Jeff Hostetler
Heath Shuler
John Friesz

So we have a QB that has broken most franchise records, led us to consecutive winning seasons in I-can't-remember-how-long, was top 5 in most statistical categories in the league this year, is by all accounts a super teammate and all around good guy. . .

and folks would let him go for a few picks? Honestly, I do not get this. Unless you have a once-in-a-few decades defense, no team has won it all without a franchise QB.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:24 AM   #41
MTK
\m/

Kirk Cousins 365 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post
For everyone who is OK with watching KC leave, I ask you to consider (I think I have everyone since we won a Superbowl):

RGIII

Rex Grossman

John Beck

Jason Campbell

Mark Brunell (the old one)

Donovan McNabb (same)

Todd Collins

Patrick Ramsey

Tim Hasselbeck

Shane Matthews

Danny Wuerffel

Tony Banks

Jeff George

Brad Johnson (well, that might have worked out)

Trent Green (same)

Gus Frerotte

Jeff Hostetler

Heath Shuler

John Friesz

So we have a QB that has broken most franchise records, led us to consecutive winning seasons in I-can't-remember-how-long, was top 5 in most statistical categories in the league this year, is by all accounts a super teammate and all around good guy. . .

and folks would let him go for a few picks? Honestly, I do not get this. Unless you have a once-in-a-few decades defense, no team has won it all without a franchise QB.

I agree. When you have a guy that can play, and play very well, you don't let him walk. The cap isn't an issue, I don't know how many more times it needs to be said but we can afford to sign him and still make plenty of improvements.

Washington Redskins no longer have issues with salary cap - Washington Redskins Blog- ESPN
Old 01-19-2017, 08:16 AM   #42
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I agree. When you have a guy that can play, and play very well, you don't let him walk. The cap isn't an issue, I don't know how many more times it needs to be said but we can afford to sign him and still make plenty of improvements.

Washington Redskins no longer have issues with salary cap - Washington Redskins Blog- ESPN
the last line sums it up:

Quote:
Regardless, the Redskins will enter the offseason in a much better spot. But, remember, they reached this point by not spending crazily.
To be clear, signing KC at anything 25 (FT for next year is 33) and below is not spending crazily on the qb position, and we need to lock him up to stop it from being crazy next year.

We have good cap space, a good offense, we just need to fix the defense.
Old 01-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #43
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

You have to ask yourself if KC even wants to be here. Judging from Rich Cambell's tweets, you can sense this exact thing. It's not hard to read between the lines. (especially with the shot in the back reference)

https://twitter.com/NC_Skins23/statu...04789093912577
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
Old 01-19-2017, 11:30 AM   #44
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by calia View Post

Nobody wants Kirk Cousins gone. But, there's a real possibility that he could sign with another team. So knowing that, I can't see how any of us would be OK with the idea of just letting him walk and getting nothing in return? So yeah, if the 'skins are dumb enough to let him go, at least tag him with the non-exclusive so the team gets something in return. That's all I'm saying. Otherwise, I'm all about the Redskins offering Cousins a great deal that keeps him in Washington.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #45
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
You have to ask yourself if KC even wants to be here. Judging from Rich Cambell's tweets, you can sense this exact thing. It's not hard to read between the lines. (especially with the shot in the back reference)

https://twitter.com/NC_Skins23/statu...04789093912577
Nothing we can do about Dan not wanting Kirk, but if Bruce is a leading voice behind the "eh, not sure I want to pay him" crowd he can go kick rocks, to put it nicely. He's basically a front office cheerleader at this point.