Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Redskins Forums > Redskins Locker Room


Om Field: Taking Free Agency in Context

Redskins Locker Room


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
-Om-
Special Teams
 
-Om-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 112
Om Field: Taking Free Agency in Context

Taking Free Agency in Context
February 26, 2009

I had been treating myself to a break the past couple of weeks ... figure even obsessed fans need some kind of offseason.

That all ended the minute the web started buzzing with Albert Haynesworth (hereinafter AH)-to-the-Redskins rumors.

One minute I had both feet firmly on the ground, it was mid-February and I was focused on family, my day job and the general pursuit of happiness.

The next, as the AH thing picked up steam, I was transported to early September ...


There’s Albert Haynesworth, collapsing a 3rd-and-long pocket in Dallas QB Tony Romo’s face.

Romo knows he needs an extra second to let his receiver clear the first down marker. He can’t step up, so he starts to bail right ... but encounters Jason Taylor, closing fast with evil intent. He glances left, but there’s Andre Carter bearing down, a fiendish grin on his usually corporate face.

Romo ignores the alarm bells in his head–he’s a playmaker after all. He flicks his eyes beyond the line of scrimmage, spies a flash of white jersey ... and smiles inside his head. Only losers need to throw on rhythm; only robots need 3.2 seconds to throw to the right spot on this play--3.0 will do just fine.

Two tenths of a second before becoming a burgundy and gold sandwich, Romo flicks a sweet sidearm job toward the sideline ...


CLICK HERE to read more
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-26-2009, 03:10 PM   #2
Ruhskins
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 19,684
Re: Om Field: Taking Free Agency in Context

Very good article.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"If you have to debate which of your 3 QBs is your best, you don't have a QB. Say it with me now... it... doesn't... matter." Schneed
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #3
SBXVII
Franchise Player
 
SBXVII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 7,766
Re: Om Field: Taking Free Agency in Context

Nice. Your 100% correct. The problem is we are 50/50 in these sort of FA moves. I hope it's one in which we can all look back and say this year was the difference maker and all the stars fell into line at the right moment with a smile on our faces watching the Skins battle for the Lumbardi.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM   #4
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend
 
CRedskinsRule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pasadena, Md
Posts: 17,262
Re: Om Field: Taking Free Agency in Context

Quote:
Let us raise a glass, then, to the start of the "real" offseason, but resolve to keep our wits about us as it unfolds.
No doubt in a New Years resolution kind of way. By tomorrow morning there will be posts galore either bemoaning or shouting SB XLIV Bound Baby.

I probably will be the latter

Good read thanks!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,369
Re: Om Field: Taking Free Agency in Context

Om only paints half the picture. Om has fallen victim to the same delusions that Vinny Cerrato and Daniel Snyder fall victim to every year - the thinking that making splashes in free agency equates to success in the regular season. every year, fans imagine how a few small changes, a few additions here and there, and we are competing for the Lombardi the following season.... thats not how it works. Thats the same recipe we've followed for years, and it hasnt worked. Yet every year, fans like Om fall into the same trap.

Being "50/50" in free agency is not good enough. 50/50 is a very good record for the draft, but its an utterly horrible one in free agency. When you miss, the effects last YEARS. We're still carrying a 5M cap hit for brandon lloyd for petes sake. Imagine what we could do with an extra 5M now? Looking back and just doing a cursory glance through our past free agent signings and bad extensions to our own players, we'd be sitting around 30M under the cap right now if we had made better moves... while having fewer needs to fill. If you look at Redskins Free Agency in Context, its not a pretty sight. Optomism is one thing, but lets not forget the track record of the men running this team.
__________________
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #6
-Om-
Special Teams
 
-Om-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 112
Re: Om Field: Taking Free Agency in Context

Nice speech, BHA, but you're in the wrong thread. I believe you were looking for one in which someone actually suggested that "big splashes in free agency equates to success in the regular season."
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Ruhskins
Living Legend
 
Ruhskins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 19,684
Re: Om Field: Taking Free Agency in Context

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Om only paints half the picture. Om has fallen victim to the same delusions that Vinny Cerrato and Daniel Snyder fall victim to every year - the thinking that making splashes in free agency equates to success in the regular season. every year, fans imagine how a few small changes, a few additions here and there, and we are competing for the Lombardi the following season.... thats not how it works. Thats the same recipe we've followed for years, and it hasnt worked. Yet every year, fans like Om fall into the same trap.

Being "50/50" in free agency is not good enough. 50/50 is a very good record for the draft, but its an utterly horrible one in free agency. When you miss, the effects last YEARS. We're still carrying a 5M cap hit for brandon lloyd for petes sake. Imagine what we could do with an extra 5M now? Looking back and just doing a cursory glance through our past free agent signings and bad extensions to our own players, we'd be sitting around 30M under the cap right now if we had made better moves... while having fewer needs to fill. If you look at Redskins Free Agency in Context, its not a pretty sight. Optomism is one thing, but lets not forget the track record of the men running this team.
But you can't also let this track record be the sole reason behind your opinion on moves that have not happened yet. If a person feels that the front office is going to screw things over and over again, or if they believe any move they make is going to end up in disaster, what's the point of being a fan.

Trust me, I know the bonehead/stupid moves the team has made, however they have also made some good moves (Fletch, Moss, Sellers, Washington, Hall, etc., etc.). I can't let past mistakes automatically make me believe that every single acquisition made by the FO is going to be bust, without looking at the circumstances around it. Also, let's not forget that a lot of these signings, like anything else in the NFL, is about taking chances and risks.
__________________
R.I.P. #21

New words created on The Warpath:
Rewalsr - Somretimes - Fualt - Jersesy - Itiot - Composetory
Afeard - Storgn - Empliment - Gaissn - Saftys - Minnisota
Faviort - Hatter - Phsyched - Foof - Heloing - Brutual
Stroried - Agianst

"If you have to debate which of your 3 QBs is your best, you don't have a QB. Say it with me now... it... doesn't... matter." Schneed
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
53Fan
Franchise Player
 
53Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Posts: 7,570
Re: Om Field: Taking Free Agency in Context

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
But you can't also let this track record be the sole reason behind your opinion on moves that have not happened yet. If a person feels that the front office is going to screw things over and over again, or if they believe any move they make is going to end up in disaster, what's the point of being a fan.

Trust me, I know the bonehead/stupid moves the team has made, however they have also made some good moves (Fletch, Moss, Sellers, Washington, Hall, etc., etc.). I can't let past mistakes automatically make me believe that every single acquisition made by the FO is going to be bust, without looking at the circumstances around it. Also, let's not forget that a lot of these signings, like anything else in the NFL, is about taking chances and risks.
Excellent post Ruhskins!
__________________
Defense wins championships. Bring it!
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Bubba305-ST21-
Impact Rookie
 
Bubba305-ST21-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 683
Re: Om Field: Taking Free Agency in Context

amen
__________________
never another.....R.I.P. Sean T #21
Bubba305-ST21- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker
 
BigHairedAristocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,369
Re: Om Field: Taking Free Agency in Context

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Om- View Post
Nice speech, BHA, but you're in the wrong thread. I believe you were looking for one in which someone actually suggested that "big splashes in free agency equates to success in the regular season."
while you didnt specifically state it, your well-worded dream play with Landry intercepting the ball and Romo nearly getting killed in large part due to Haynesworth made me think you were in favor of such a move... my bad.

It was a well written article and a nice change of pace from the usual cynicism of JLC. I was just pointing out that your article focused on the potential positives. As SBXVII pointed out, the skins are 50/50 in their free agency moves. Theres just as good a chance that our moves will get us to 4-12 next year than there is we'll be 12-4. Truth is, if the skins do what they usually do, neither is a realistic. IMO, mo matter what is done in the offseason, its highly unlikely this team will ever be below 6-10 or above 10-6 as long as Snyder and Cerrato are running things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
But you can't also let this track record be the sole reason behind your opinion on moves that have not happened yet. If a person feels that the front office is going to screw things over and over again, or if they believe any move they make is going to end up in disaster, what's the point of being a fan.

Trust me, I know the bonehead/stupid moves the team has made, however they have also made some good moves (Fletch, Moss, Sellers, Washington, Hall, etc., etc.). I can't let past mistakes automatically make me believe that every single acquisition made by the FO is going to be bust, without looking at the circumstances around it. Also, let's not forget that a lot of these signings, like anything else in the NFL, is about taking chances and risks.
You prove my point. For every stupid move the team makes, there is also another really good one. I never said every move they make will be a bust. I agreed with SBXVII that its 50/50. History has proven that 50/50 isnt good enough.

and yes, the NFL, like any other busines, is about taking risks. But taking risks isnt about rolling the dice (atleast it shouldnt be). I work in the Enterprise Risk Management division of a responsible financial institution that made wise decisions to avoid contributing to the financial crisis that this country is in right now. It didnt stay out of trouble by not taking risks - you cant make money if you dont take risks - it stayed out of trouble by taking the right risks.

More often than not, Vinny Cerrato and Daniel Snyder do not take the right risks. To their credit, they do well in making decisions when theres not much risk involved (London Fletcher, low round draft picks). However, whenever they take an otherwise unaccaptable risk because the potential reward is high, more often than not, they make the wrong choice. Vinny Cerrato and Daniel Snyder are simply not good risk managers.
__________________
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.

Last edited by BigHairedAristocrat; 02-26-2009 at 04:14 PM.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This site has no official affiliation with the Washington Redskins or the NFL, we're just a bunch of fans talking football
Page generated in 0.09555 seconds with 12 queries