Om Field: Ravens Morning After - Assessing the Damage

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-08-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
-Om-
Special Teams

Om Field: Ravens Morning After - Assessing the Damage

Ravens Morning After: Assessing the Damage
Dec. 8, 2008

I wrote last week that for the rest of the 2008 season, I would be studying the Redskins for certain indicators—both in terms of their chances of qualifying for a wildcard spot, and more importantly, with a critical eye toward the future.

What I saw last night only served to confirm the feeling I've had since the Pittsburgh game a month ago. These Redskins are just good enough to break your heart.

Breaking from convention by writing on the day after a game, here's a quick point-by-point look at the specific areas on which I said I’d focus:

"I’ll be watching for signs that Jason Campbell is progressing as Coach Zorn says he is, and as my intellect, if not my gut, still believes."

Jason Campbell continued to look pretty good when he had time to throw, and out of his depth when he did not.

He continued to look like a seven-step-drop, play-action square peg being hammered, with limited success, into a quick-read, quick-release west-coast-offense round hole.

He continued to peel himself off the turf, dust himself off and go back for more, playing the silent lead-by-example field general on a team desperately lacking offensive fire—literally and figuratively.

In short, his stock neither rose nor fell. In light of how vital progress at the quarterback position is to this teams’ immediate and long-term success, however, the fact he stayed even is cause for little rejoicing.

Coach Zorn’s biggest offseason priority—beyond filibustering Vinny Cerrato to finally, mercifully, draft some big people—will be deciding if Campbell is his long-term solution at QB. If so, my own inner clock tells me Jason has until about midseason of next year to prove him right. By that point I suspect I will know … and Zorn will as well.

Based on what I’ve seen to this point, I’d put it about 50-50 that Jason Campbell will be the presumptive starter heading into 2010.

"I’ll be watching for signs that the receiving corps can threaten defenses with anything other than a double-covered Santana Moss downfield and Chris Cooley underneath."

Ouch ...

CLICK HERE to read more

Last edited by -Om-; 12-08-2008 at 11:49 AM.
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Re: Om Field: Ravens Morning After - Assessing the Damage

Great stuff. I really look forward to your analysis of how our lines were built compared to our rivals. That should be VERY revealing. Gibbs 1.0 won with great play by both lines. I'm not saying that you must spend 1st round picks there every year, but since 2000, we have spent ZERO in the 1st round to beef up either line with young studs.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote