Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

QB or BPA for our #1 Draft Pick - 2020

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-16-2019, 01:23 PM   #166
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: QB or BPA for our #1 Draft Pick - 2020

Pro Bowl = watered down popularity contest.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #167
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
This is patently and statistically wrong and just against common sense.

<Lots of stats and math about the entire draft>
Kudos for doing all that hard work, perhaps I should clarify. Top 5 compared to the rest of the first rounders, what's the ratio? I don't care if we pick in the top 5 or top 10, you can still find all-pros anywhere you draft in the first round. This year's MVP and last year's MVP, where were both drafted? (I'll give you a hint, not in the top 5).
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:02 PM   #168
Randall Nestor
Special Teams

If we were one player away from being a consistent playoff team then I would take that player. I think if they get a great offer to move down a few picks then I say trade down. I like more picks to help fill some of these holes. We need a LT, CB, TE or two, WR, S, RB (without knee problems), QB (backup) just to name a few. As much as I would like to have Young, we have a lot of needs we can fill with a great offer/trade down.
Randall Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #169
PorkSkins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Pro Bowl = watered down popularity contest.
I agree for the most part. Making the All-Pro team matters more.
PorkSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:10 PM   #170
rocnrik
Playmaker

I would trade our top 3 pick and make a team pay dearly.. we get there number one this year.. there 2cnd rnd this year and there number 1 next year !!! I would do that hell yes!!
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:21 PM   #171
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocnrik View Post
I would trade our top 3 pick and make a team pay dearly.. we get there number one this year.. there 2cnd rnd this year and there number 1 next year !!! I would do that hell yes!!
not going to happen... I would be happy with a 2020 1st and 2nd to move 5 spots or so
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:35 PM   #172
rocnrik
Playmaker

You may be right .. but there are very good teams out there who need a young QB for future (pats,packers,Steelers,etc who never pick early in a draft ( they usually pick 20-32). the temptation to grab a top QB may be to hard to resist..who knows ?.. I can tell you that after watching steelers they have nothing now at QB .. We need a TE bad! OL, did I say TE 😀, some help in secondary.. With redskins luck we take Young at number 3 and he gets hurt and that’s that ... I would rather have multiple picks with this team!

Last edited by rocnrik; 12-16-2019 at 06:51 PM.
rocnrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:02 PM   #173
Warthog
The Starter

QB or BPA for our #1 Draft Pick - 2020

We’ll get a TE in FA. I think that the next HC will clean house on our FA. Out of our top 8 FA, only two are still playing. The solution is easy, trade and cut. We’ll open up tens of millions in cap room. Opening up cap room to hire new FA, will be a good entrancement to a prospective HC candidate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #174
Warthog
The Starter

As I said before, this team needs stars, not trading down for low picks. We need a star at OT, we have journeymen now.

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:57 PM   #175
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
As I said before, this team needs stars, not trading down for low picks. We need a star at OT, we have journeymen now.

Stars like RG3, Dotson, Guice, Anderson? They should be able to get good players in the mid-first round, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds too. One star will not turn around this team.

FWIW... there are 3 or 4 very good tackles in this draft.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #176
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irrefutable View Post
Stars like RG3, Dotson, Guice, Anderson? They should be able to get good players in the mid-first round, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds too. One star will not turn around this team.

FWIW... there are 3 or 4 very good tackles in this draft.
Only 1 of those was a top 5 pick ... and it was made by the owner against the football wishes of the people hired at that time to make football decisions. And he won the only rookie of the year ever for the skins.

Kinda proved the point .. the chances of drafting a star or even starter decrease the farther down the draft the pick is made. You could have nick bosa or Brian Burns+Jahlani Tavai. Give me Nick all day.

Brian Burns might be a nice 10 year starter w a few pro bowls .. Nick Bosa may be a d MVP and HOF. I can find a Brian Burns .. hell I could pay Preston Smith or Z Smith in FA and get the same if not better production. I cannot sign a potential MVP in FA. Those are hard to come by.

Not all 22 starters can be All Pro and every position is important but you do need super stars at impact positions. QB, LT, DE, WR, CB. If you have a chance to add a potential A+ HOF player at one of these positions, you do it and dont worry about adding trading down to add a nice B mlb and a B- cb.

This draft's top 5 have potential impact players at QB, LT, CB, DE and possibly WR.

We are picking in the top 5 (3-4 overall).

Take the potential stud LT or CB who should be there.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:16 AM   #177
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post

Eh, we had a SUPERSTAR LT for years and we didn't really win shit.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #178
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Eh, we had a SUPERSTAR LT for years and we didn't really win shit.
Not a great point. Trent was definitely not the problem. We didn't win shit because we couldn't put enough good pieces on the field, we couldn't hang onto the one decent QB we had, our coaches were average at scheming (below average on defense), we had shitty culture, the players we paid ended up hurt super often (Reed) etc etc.

Get the star OT and then be better elsewhere, starting with culture. You can win that way. Saying the Superstar OT didn't help us is tossing the baby out with the bathwater.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:31 AM   #179
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Not a great point. Trent was definitely not the problem. We didn't win shit because we couldn't put enough good pieces on the field, we couldn't hang onto the one decent QB we had, our coaches were average at scheming (below average on defense), we had shitty culture, the players we paid ended up hurt super often (Reed) etc etc.

Get the star OT and then be better elsewhere, starting with culture. You can win that way. Saying the Superstar OT didn't help us is tossing the baby out with the bathwater.
No doubt I was just saying that a star LT doesn't necessarily mean you can be a consistent winner. The culture has been the problem from day 1, until that changes we could draft Jesus and nothing would come of it
Old 12-17-2019, 12:50 PM   #180
SunnySide
Playmaker

I wanted to add, my thought of keeping the top 5 pick is not anymore right or wrong than wanting to trade back and get more picks. If you draft a cant miss blue chip like Robert Gallery, obviously you wish you traded back. It depends on who is doing the picking, avoiding freak injuries etc

But as a rule, if I have a top 5 or 10, I want to stay in the top 5 or 10 (as a skins fan). I do think each draft has a shelf and drop off in talent. Maybe this year its 5 players, maybe last year it was 12, maybe a top 10 talent like Derwin James or Jonathan Allen drops to you at no. 16 for some reason.

Maybe if im a more competent organization, Id lean more towards trading down.