Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop




Go Back   Warpath > Washington Football > Locker Room Main Forum


Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Locker Room Main Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2021, 08:48 PM   #16
Defensewins
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,699
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think we're not just underrating Tim Settle, but seriously underrating Tim Settle. He's a starting caliber player, just buried on the depth chart behind two first rounders from Alabama, and a when-healthy 2nd only to Aaron Donald interior pass rusher.

You could make an argument that the best thing for the team is to trade Allen or Payne now and let Settle play. I don't think you lose much.

Back to the topic - because Settle is so good the draft can't be viewed as anything less than a B-. They say if you get two starters out of a draft, you've done well. We got Payne and I count Settle as a starting caliber player.

But they deserve to be dinged seriously for Guice because he dropped for character reasons, and it turned out to be completely true. 2nd round is high for a RB in the first place, and if he's got character concerns then it's even harder to make a profit on the selection.

The Christian pick is annoying too because the guy was clearly never strong enough. You can teach technique. It's a lot harder to move the needle on strength and speed, and impossible to move it on size.

I'll go B-. Settle is a genuine gem, he saves what could have been a D.
Guice also hyperextended his knee at LSU and never had surgery which might also be why he dropped. I think other teams were scared away by that knee, that he later tore the ACL with us in his ever first preseason game against New England.
Bruce Allen loved injured players (RB Bryce Love & OG Arie Kouandijo) and he thought he was getting a deal.
I am glad BA is gone.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-05-2021, 10:01 PM   #17
Defensewins
Playmaker
 
Defensewins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 3,699
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

This guy is hilarious. Give him time, he really gets going. He really like the WFT. He even talks about Settle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ouyea-580
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:36 PM   #18
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame
 
Chico23231's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 28,563
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
This guy is hilarious. Give him time, he really gets going. He really like the WFT. He even talks about Settle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ouyea-580
“Let me tell you something cowboy nation… Tim Settle, a rotational player had just as many sacks as our entire starting d tackles combined”

Settle is a baller
__________________
2020 NFC East Champions

“The game plan is what the game plan will be”
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:44 PM   #19
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams
 
Pervis_Griffith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Louisville KY
Posts: 420
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defensewins View Post
This guy is hilarious. Give him time, he really gets going. He really like the WFT. He even talks about Settle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ouyea-580

Guess wot? That dude IS hilarious.

And guess wot? -- he's right. The Washington Football Team is gonna go straight at 'em, becuz guess wot? They ain't got no D-Linemen. Becuz guess wot? They are top heavy in their roster construction.

And guess wot?


lolol That was funny. But insightful too. Dude knows what he's talking about.

Cowboys did try to address some of that in their draft. We'll see how they did.
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:33 PM   #20
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 50
Posts: 16,777
Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I think we're not just underrating Tim Settle, but seriously underrating Tim Settle. He's a starting caliber player, just buried on the depth chart behind two first rounders from Alabama, and a when-healthy 2nd only to Aaron Donald interior pass rusher.



You could make an argument that the best thing for the team is to trade Allen or Payne now and let Settle play. I don't think you lose much.



Back to the topic - because Settle is so good the draft can't be viewed as anything less than a B-. They say if you get two starters out of a draft, you've done well. We got Payne and I count Settle as a starting caliber player.



But they deserve to be dinged seriously for Guice because he dropped for character reasons, and it turned out to be completely true. 2nd round is high for a RB in the first place, and if he's got character concerns then it's even harder to make a profit on the selection.



The Christian pick is annoying too because the guy was clearly never strong enough. You can teach technique. It's a lot harder to move the needle on strength and speed, and impossible to move it on size.



I'll go B-. Settle is a genuine gem, he saves what could have been a D.


Second only to Aaron Donald? That might be stretching it. Top 10-15 for sure and if you factor in his age probably more appealing. I certainly agree that him being buried behind Allen and Payne overshadows his abilities. It is hard to find a top 15 anything that isn’t a starter. If Settle leaves at one point because of money I sure hope GM’s around the league hold him in as high regard as you do.
Unless I read this wrong and you are talking about Matty I? I would say the same thing about him i guess.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #21
sdskinsfan2001
Sponge-worthy
 
sdskinsfan2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 38
Posts: 11,522
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Second only to Aaron Donald? That might be stretching it. Top 10-15 for sure and if you factor in his age probably more appealing. I certainly agree that him being buried behind Allen and Payne overshadows his abilities. It is hard to find a top 15 anything that isn’t a starter. If Settle leaves at one point because of money I sure hope GM’s around the league hold him in as high regard as you do.
Unless I read this wrong and you are talking about Matty I? I would say the same thing about him i guess.
I would hate to trade Payne or Allen, but if we could trade one and re-up the other, and re-up Settle, that would be ok by me.

My preference would be to keep Allen and Payne. I'd re-up Allen now and FT tag Payne the 1st year after his contract expires. And re-up Settle. Then we have a couple more years with all 3. That's a lot of money for the next couple years, but worth it for the strength of our team. Then in a few years you will have flexibility to do as needed.

If we can keep 2 out of 3 for the foreseeable future, that is a win for the team.

Then you have to draft well again for a replacement.
__________________
Cause you know, he would step across the line. Habitually. He's a habitual line stepper.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 04:43 AM   #22
FrenchSkin
Playmaker
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 3,456
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Second only to Aaron Donald? That might be stretching it. Top 10-15 for sure and if you factor in his age probably more appealing. I certainly agree that him being buried behind Allen and Payne overshadows his abilities. It is hard to find a top 15 anything that isn’t a starter. If Settle leaves at one point because of money I sure hope GM’s around the league hold him in as high regard as you do.
Unless I read this wrong and you are talking about Matty I? I would say the same thing about him i guess.
Schneed was referring to either Payne or Allen ;-)
__________________
Proud Ambassador of the Redskins French Nation
Team Heinicke Fan Club VP of Global Operations
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 05:25 AM   #23
EdmundDorf
Impact Rookie
 
EdmundDorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: UK, South
Posts: 644
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

On a strictly per snap basis, Schneed is right. In terms of Sacks/QB Hits per snap Settle is way up there in the league rankings. But he only plays 33% of the snaps, which probably keeps him fresh to get better results when he is in the game. What he would look like if he had to play 75-80% of snaps is more difficult to foresee.

Looking solely at 2020

G Snaps T AT Sacks TFL QB Hits FF
Payne 16 84.3% 27 27 3 7 8 3

Settle 16 33.3% 12 6 5 5 7 0
EdmundDorf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:22 AM   #24
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 50
Posts: 16,777
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Schneed was referring to either Payne or Allen ;-)


Yes in reference to the two guys from Alabama obviously, but than says “and a guy who when healthy is second only to Aaron Donald” - that is either referring to Settle or Matty I. Hence the “and a guy who....”
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:24 AM   #25
FrenchSkin
Playmaker
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 3,456
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Yes in reference to the two guys from Alabama obviously, but than says “and a guy who when healthy is second only to Aaron Donald” - that is either referring to Settle or Matty I. Hence the “and a guy who....”
Oh yeah sorry that Matty I then, because he was listing the guys Settle was behind of !

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
__________________
Proud Ambassador of the Redskins French Nation
Team Heinicke Fan Club VP of Global Operations
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:27 AM   #26
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 50
Posts: 16,777
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Oh yeah sorry that Matty I then, because he was listing the guys Settle was behind of !

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk


Right. But it even could be read like Settle is a guy who is burried behind two guys from Bama AND when healthy is second only to Aaron Donald.
Anyway whether Matty I or Settle- neither is the second best interior pass rusher in the league. Matty I is really good. Not second though.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:31 AM   #27
FrenchSkin
Playmaker
 
FrenchSkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 3,456
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Right. But it even could be read like Settle is a guy who is burried behind two guys from Bama AND when healthy is second only to Aaron Donald.
Anyway whether Matty I or Settle- neither is the second best interior pass rusher in the league. Matty I is really good. Not second though.
Well yeah guess you're right. Think the overall point simply was Settle gets way more playing time on any other team.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk
__________________
Proud Ambassador of the Redskins French Nation
Team Heinicke Fan Club VP of Global Operations
FrenchSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #28
punch it in
From a Land Down Under
 
punch it in's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toms river, nj
Age: 50
Posts: 16,777
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
Well yeah guess you're right. Think the overall point simply was Settle gets way more playing time on any other team.

Envoyé de mon SHV48 en utilisant Tapatalk


Oh hell yes he does. We are definitely rich at DT. Good problem to have.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:10 AM   #29
skinsfan69
Living Legend
 
skinsfan69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Arlington, VA and San Diego, CA
Posts: 15,015
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Looking back on the Guice pick, how do you not do your homework? Drafting someone w/ that low of character in the 2nd round is inexcusable. The current regime would have never touched that guy.

Not a real good looking back. You got one starter out of that draft.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:21 AM   #30
Monkeydad
Living Legend
 
Monkeydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: PA
Age: 42
Posts: 17,460
Re: Let's revisit the 2018 draft

Hamilton played well for a 6th-rounder.

Apke in the 4th is a massive failure.

And as just stated, Guice tanks this whole draft. Seems like the previous front office had a thing for low character guys. Guice, Dunbar, they did grab Reuben Foster BEFORE charges were dropped...
__________________
Not sent from a Droid, iPhone, Blackberry or toaster
Monkeydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
We have no official affiliation with the Washington Football Team or the NFL. But our culture is damn good!
Page generated in 0.19177 seconds with 10 queries