Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

With the 17 pick, the Washington Redskins select...

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 04-14-2017, 01:45 PM   #46
53Fan
Franchise Player

Re: With the 17 pick, the Washington Redskins select...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30gut View Post
Pick 17 my thoughts:

I want someone that can come in help the defense day 1.

This draft is supposed to be deep at CB, S and Edge rusher.

I want to help the DL but the only DL prospect that might be worthy of pick 17 has someone questions marks that turn me off. I like McDowell, talented kid, but too many question marks for me and I wouldn't want to force the picks.

The biggest area of weakness in my eyes is the pass defense and the weakest area of the pass coverage more then pass rush although pass rush is always a need. I would want the highest rated CB, S or Edge rusher on the board:

Tre'Davious White CB
Gareon Conley CB
Takkarist McKinley Edge
Haason Reddick ILB/OLB
Derek Barnett Edge

----------------------------------------------------

If the FO knows they can't/won't sign Kirk to a long term deal I want a QB either Watson or Trubisky. Although I like some of the other QBs these are the only QBs I would take at 17.
I've asked this before and I'll ask it again. We all know Cleveland needs a QB badly. The only reason they won't take one with the first pick is not one of them is rated that highly and Garrett is too good to pass up. If they were willing to give up their #1 pick for Cousins, who I personally want to keep, and their other #1 or 2nd pick for him, would you make that deal? We get Garrett and possibly Watson. Let Colt play this year while our other 2 learn. If I had any idea wtf Bruce was doing it would help, but I dont. As far as I'm concerned he's messed this up as much as much as possible.

Could Redskins draft the next Kirk Cousins to replace him?

Last edited by 53Fan; 04-14-2017 at 02:15 PM.
53Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 04-14-2017, 06:33 PM   #47
dej733
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by dej733 View Post
Today I was listening to the SiriusXM NFL channel on my way home from work; Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan completed a live two round mock draft. They had the Redskins trading back to the 25th pick of the first round (compensation: 2017 and 2018 3rd round draft picks) and selecting LB Zach Cunningham. In the second round, they had the Skins selecting DL Caleb Brantley.
I would be happy with those draft picks in the first two rounds. McCaffrey, Cook and Fournette were gone before pick 17; trading back was a smart move.
Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller completed another two round mock draft on SiriusXM NFL Radio today. They had us selecting Ohio State CB Gareon Conley with our first round pick, then selecting Tennessee RB Alvin Kamara the second round pick. They also had us trading our 2017 5th round pick to the Jets for Sheldon Richardson. If Richardson can stay out of trouble with off the field issues, I like the trade.
dej733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #48
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller completed another two round mock draft on SiriusXM NFL Radio today. They had us selecting Ohio State CB Gareon Conley with our first round pick, then selecting Tennessee RB Alvin Kamara the second round pick. They also had us trading our 2017 5th round pick to the Jets for Sheldon Richardson. If Richardson can stay out of trouble with off the field issues, I like the trade.
Love Conley. I would be happy w/ Kamar too but don't think he'll have the impact on this squad S compared to DL or Edge rusher.
30gut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #49
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Pick 17 my thoughts:

I want someone that can come in help the defense day 1.

This draft is supposed to be deep at CB, S and Edge rusher.

I want to help the DL but the only DL prospect that might be worthy of pick 17 has someone questions marks that turn me off. I like McDowell, talented kid, but too many question marks for me and I wouldn't want to force the picks.

The biggest area of weakness in my eyes is the pass defense and the weakest area of the pass coverage more then pass rush although pass rush is always a need. I would want the highest rated CB, S or Edge rusher on the board:

Tre'Davious White CB
Gareon Conley CB
Takkarist McKinley Edge
Haason Reddick ILB/OLB
Derek Barnett Edge

----------------------------------------------------

If the FO knows they can't/won't sign Kirk to a long term deal I want a QB either Watson or Trubisky. Although I like some of the other QBs these are the only QBs I would take at 17.

In the first round, if there is a clear-cut choice of BPA then I believe you need to go with the player who could become a star; however, if it is close between two players, then you might want to go with the one who plays a position of greater need.

I believe that the best thing we could do for our team in this draft would be to improve our talent up the middle. By that I mean at NT/DT, ILB, and safety. In FA we signed some help in each of those areas but we need more.

That brings me to the players you mentioned. I think Haason Reddick might well be the BPA at #17 and that meshes with what I think is our primary need on defense, so I'd pick him. In fact, I would pick him over Reuben Foster.

It's never a bad thing to pick a top-notch CB, so I'd have no problem with that.

As for the edge rushers, I think #17 would probably be high for Tak McKinley because he is raw and needs some time to work on his technique with NFL coaches. He is a fast, powerful athlete with a good motor, so he could be very good in time.

I would not draft Barnett at all. He's too slow for me and I don't think he'll be able to beat NFL OT's.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 01:25 PM   #50
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I'd make that trade, as well. We need to understand that Richardson is in a contract year and would probably be a rental. That's OK because he should be motivated to have a great season and if he becomes a problem for the team they can simply cut him.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #51
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
...I believe that the best thing we could do for our team in this draft would be to improve our talent up the middle. By that I mean at NT/DT, ILB, and safety. In FA we signed some help in each of those areas but we need more.
I think the best way to improve the defense are with pass coverage and pass rush. To me that means better CB play and an edge rusher opposite Kerrigan in nickel.

Quote:
That brings me to the players you mentioned. I think Haason Reddick might well be the BPA at #17 and that meshes with what I think is our primary need on defense, so I'd pick him. In fact, I would pick him over Reuben Foster.
Me too. I think Riddick is a stud and is going to be a stud in the NFL. Good size, great movement ability, great speed and can pass rush.

Quote:
As for the edge rushers, I think #17 would probably be high for Tak McKinley because he is raw and needs some time to work on his technique with NFL coaches. He is a fast, powerful athlete with a good motor, so he could be very good in time.
I agree 17 is high for Tak based on his production and lack of polish as a rusher. But when you're 6'2-250 and athletic w/ a 4.59-40 they tend to get pushed up the draft.

Quote:
I would not draft Barnett at all. He's too slow for me and I don't think he'll be able to beat NFL OT's.
Barnett is the opposite of Takk in that he's more polished and more productive but not as athletic. Barnett comes in to the league will a more complete passing rushing game and his tape backs it up.
Old 04-17-2017, 12:25 PM   #52
Irrefutable
The Starter

FYI..... Richardson's salary is $8 million. They would probably need to make a couple cuts to create room.

McKinley is injured and may not be ready for training camp or the start of the season.

Takkarist McKinley injury bad news for LB-needy Indianapolis Colts - Indianapolis Colts Blog- ESPN
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:43 PM   #53
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Barnett is the opposite of Takk in that he's more polished and more productive but not as athletic. Barnett comes in to the league will a more complete passing rushing game and his tape backs it up.
There's no doubt in my mind that Barnett is the better player right now. The problem I have with Barnett is my need for speed. I have no use for any edge player who can't run better than a 4.8 forty.

What do you think of the Skins drafting Carl Lawson at #17? He has a great burst, he can rush inside as well as outside, and he's good against the run. He was very productive in college against top competition.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:11 PM   #54
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
There's no doubt in my mind that Barnett is the better player right now. The problem I have with Barnett is my need for speed. I have no use for any edge player who can't run better than a 4.8 forty.

What do you think of the Skins drafting Carl Lawson at #17? He has a great burst, he can rush inside as well as outside, and he's good against the run. He was very productive in college against top competition.
I like Carl Lawson he was very productive this year up there with Derek Barnett. Lawson injury history will knock him down his draft grade. I like him just not a 17.

Kerrigan ran a 4.79 there's some good defensive ends that don't run sub 4.8. Derek Barnett's career production is up there with Myles Garrett comma dude broke Reggie White sack record at Tennessee. Derek Barnett is a Bola
Old 04-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #55
los panda
Pro Bowl

i really hope we trade down, so much gravy in the 25-50 range.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:57 PM   #56
Irrefutable
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by los panda View Post
i really hope we trade down, so much gravy in the 25-50 range.
I agree 100%..... 5 picks in the first 4 rounds is not enough, there are so many immediate needs.... 2/3 DL - 1 OLB - 1 ILB - 1 CB - 1 S on defense

on offense 1 WR - 1 RB - 1 G - 1 C
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:52 PM   #57
Bangee7
Impact Rookie

Quote:
In the first round, if there is a clear-cut choice of BPA then I believe you need to go with the player who could become a star; however, if it is close between two players, then you might want to go with the one who plays a position of greater need.

I believe that the best thing we could do for our team in this draft would be to improve our talent up the middle. By that I mean at NT/DT, ILB, and safety. In FA we signed some help in each of those areas but we need more.

It's never a bad thing to pick a top-notch CB, so I'd have no problem with that.

KI...you're hired. Pack your gear & get to Redskin Park A.S.A.P.

Just get me a C or Guard somewhere in the top 5 picks and you're golden!

Seriously, though, our biggest weakness is in the middle of the D. If we can focus on improving that, I think we're back in the playoffs and fighting for the division again.
Bangee7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #58
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangee7 View Post
KI...you're hired. Pack your gear & get to Redskin Park A.S.A.P.

Just get me a C or Guard somewhere in the top 5 picks and you're golden!

Seriously, though, our biggest weakness is in the middle of the D. If we can focus on improving that, I think we're back in the playoffs and fighting for the division again.
Thanks for the compliment. I think I can control my drinking problem long enough to get through the draft.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:55 PM   #59
30gut
Playmaker

Quote:
I think I get what you mean but the concept of 'the player who could become a star' is subjective. I might think Reddick has star potential someone else might think Peppers etc.

Quote:
I def agree we need to improve up the middle. That's always a solid way to approach a defense. Through FA we stabilized the ILBs and added 1 solid safety. That leaves 34 DE that can also play 3-tech in nickel.

But for me the biggest area we need to address is pass defense.
Which means coverage and pass rush. Thus my 3 high priority areas to address are: CB, Edge and 5-tech/3-tech.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #60
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I think I get what you mean but the concept of 'the player who could become a star' is subjective. I might think Reddick has star potential someone else might think Peppers etc.

I def agree we need to improve up the middle. That's always a solid way to approach a defense. Through FA we stabilized the ILBs and added 1 solid safety. That leaves 34 DE that can also play 3-tech in nickel.

But for me the biggest area we need to address is pass defense.
Which means coverage and pass rush. Thus my 3 high priority areas to address are: CB, Edge and 5-tech/3-tech.
No problem. Let's see, I'll give you CB Marion Humphrey in the first, DT Caleb Brantley in the second, and OLB Trey Hendrickson in the third.