Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Marty Hurney Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-26-2021, 03:18 PM   #181
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Marty Hurney Thread

He is overpaid. He won't be moved this year. But I like the man himself. Good teammate and locerkroom guy. Hopefully he can contribute this year.

Please add a FS.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-26-2021, 03:41 PM   #182
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number44 View Post
By "smart" you apparently mean "in accordance with my opinion." LOL

Your "smart" way has worked real well over the past 20 years, hasn't it? LOL

Sorry, but continuing with the guaranteed mediocrity is not "smart." Recognizing the reality of the window created by the rookie contracts of an excellent group of young players and striking before they become too expensive to keep them all is, indeed, "smart." RR's methodology looks much better to me than yours - and it is not a close call.
No, it is not. We have a good DL and that is about it. We are nowhere near being a contender. And this miscalculation that we are "close" is in fact the mistake of the last decade or more, the inability to stay the long course because we never have a true GM taking the long view (or the owner plays GM), and are always deluded into thinking we are 1-2 players away. A GM that is the lackey of the coach doesn't solve this problem.

You won't find me loving the past regime, but trading for a retread QB is the mistake of old. McNabb, Smith, etc. It might win us a few more games, but won't get us anywhere near the mountaintop.

What has guaranteed mediocrity is owner meddling and not sticking to a long term plan of draft and develop. We won't have nearly as much talent coming in with two retread GMs and Smith on the way out.
Scalper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 03:50 PM   #183
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
So what was he supposed to do? Say, “hey Ron we are keeping Kyle”. He wouldn’t dare question Ron.
THE DAN had no choice but to cede a very good but not great coach more power than he should have because this is the only way he would take the job. This is because THE DAN has such a bad reputation for obvious reasons we need not revisit. Short version, THE DAN ALWAYS meddles, so no good coach will take job without such power, especially after way Shanny was cornholed. Shanny was same problem as RR, a talented coach given too much FO and personnel power, and then meddled when it didn't produce the results. We are thus hostage to the meddling of THE DAN even now.

The point is, there has to be someone in the organization questioning the head coach, as even very good coaches usually are not personnel gurus and often become emotional about personnel decisions, making poor decisions out of a well-intended desire to win and the belief that they can coach guys up. You need a GM above the coach with the power to enforce the long view--like saying no to mortgaging the future yet again. With the talent Smith has acquired, and his pedigree, there should have been someone saying keep him over Hurney and Mayhew. I would much rather have Smith making long-term personnel decisions than RR, Hurney, and Mayhew. Organizations usually segregate these two roles and place the GM above the coach for very good reason, though in the best organizations the GM and coach work together without the GM being the bitch of the coach.

Saying that something is an improvement over past, as bad as this organization has been, does not mean it gets us where we need to be.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:59 PM   #184
Scalper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
For whatever reason im questioning whether im reading this right.

2021 cap hit - whopping eye opening piss you off 17.2M
2021 dead cap if dropped - 13.8M

You drop him, you save 3.4M for 2021.

Id rather have Landon Collins for 3.4M vs having an addl 3.4M in cap .... especially considering we probably will have 10M or so in unused cap for 2021 anyway. Landon Collins is not a negative on the field and seems to be a good locker room leader in a young secondary.

He is not worth the 17.2M cap hit but he does bring value on and off the field.

besides I am not 100% convinced Curl will be a long term starter plus player we are just assuming he will be. I think we artificially elevate low draft young players a bit when they surpass our low expectations of them.

If Curl was a 2nd or 3rd rounder ... I think more people would be medium on him. But since we all love the underdog, diamond in the rough story ... we crown him. I like Curl dont get me wrong and do think he has a better chance of making an impact vs a bacari rambo or philip thomas .. but im not crowning Curl as a top 30 safety. Not yet.

Another horrible decision by old FO. Collins gives everything he has, but he is the kind of safety that is less and less ideal in today's NFL, an in-the-box liability. We have a roster that is built the wrong may in many respects. You want your best OL to be LT and C, not RG, LOL. You want your best DBs to be a shutdown corner and roving FS, not a SS that can't cover or ever be left alone in coverage.

The question is what do you do? You can't go back in time. You cut Collins, you still need depth behind him, and we already need 15+ guys. See Curl thrive one more year before cutting Collins, especially with cap hit.

Same thing Scherff. How is our best OL a right G? We know how, but man. We have no MLB, no franchise LT, no shutdown corner, and we're paying a RG 15 milion+? But if you don't, just another hole.

I see Scherff get absolutely blown out in pass coverage too much to pay him that kind of money. But you can't let your only All Pro walk?

The previous mismanagement of this team still defies comprehension. We need to keep building primarily through the draft, and that means not surrendering draft picks for trade-ups or retreads. You have to eat it and sign Scherff, but make sure our high-contract guys are also at high-leverage positions going forward. When two of your biggest contracts are for a RG that can't pass block consistently, and a SS that can't cover, I mean man.
Old 01-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #185
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalper View Post
I see Scherff get absolutely blown out in pass coverage too much to pay him that kind of money. But you can't let your only All Pro walk?

The previous mismanagement of this team still defies comprehension. We need to keep building primarily through the draft, and that means not surrendering draft picks for trade-ups or retreads. You have to eat it and sign Scherff, but make sure our high-contract guys are also at high-leverage positions going forward. When two of your biggest contracts are for a RG that can't pass block consistently, and a SS that can't cover, I mean man.
Preaching to the choir about vastly overpaying for dime a dozen in box safety and spending a No. 5 overall pick on a guard who you then have to pay 14M AAV when you can pay a Schweitzer 3M for slightly less production.

But what do you do, like you said. Create another hole/need? Not retain a top 10 guard? Collins is staying for 2021 due to contract so theres no decision there. If we retain Scherff, okay thats fine. If we dont and keep our 14M plus a comp pick, okay thats fine. There both not great options imo.
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote