Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #46
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Re: Preseason Game 1 Quick Hitters: First of all, calm the hell down

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Preseason means virtually nothing. Remember when we got smoked by the Panthers last year and suddenly Blache was the leagues worst D-Coordinator? How about them Raiders finishing 4-0 last preseason. They weren't picking 7th because they got the pick from another team. Oh yes and 2002 when we were preseason kings destined for a Super Bowl victory. People really should stop freaking out. At least be rational and wait until weak 1 before you start jumping off a bridge.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-14-2009, 06:07 PM   #47
The Trigga
Camp Scrub

Ok I was mistaken Cooley did have one grab. I was at the game I should've remembered that lol. And yes, he did have a career high 83 catches last year. But if I'm not mistaken, didn't he only have one measly touchdown?? I have to hope that number improves and we actually start to throw downfield to him instead of this dink and dunk crap
The Trigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:44 PM   #48
theJBexperience
Impact Rookie

Well, last night blew. Who will be the QB next year? Jevan Snead? Sam Bradford? Tim Tebow? Looks like we're headed to the top of the 1st round!
theJBexperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:46 PM   #49
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
I've said this before and I'll say it again. Preseason means virtually nothing. Remember when we got smoked by the Panthers last year and suddenly Blache was the leagues worst D-Coordinator? How about them Raiders finishing 4-0 last preseason. They weren't picking 7th because they got the pick from another team. Oh yes and 2002 when we were preseason kings destined for a Super Bowl victory. People really should stop freaking out. At least be rational and wait until weak 1 before you start jumping off a bridge.
Some records from last year's preseason:
Lions 4-0
Colts 1-4
Ravens 1-3
New England 0-4

So much for preseason records.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:56 PM   #50
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Some records from last year's preseason:
Lions 4-0
Colts 1-4
Ravens 1-3
New England 0-4

So much for preseason records.
But, but, but, but....we suck! LOL. Thanks for bringing some perspective into this.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #51
NYCskinfan82
Playmaker

I'm as upset as the next fan, especially since all we heard from camp was this guy & that guy looks great, but it's pre-season. I want to see improvement in our next game but i will remember that's pre-season too.
NYCskinfan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #52
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Casey Rabach was a perfect 10 for 10 on blocks, which has to be some sort of three year record for any 10 play stretch. That was quite refreshing.

Heyer was great, actually, perfect on running plays and all but perfect on passing plays.

I saw Rinehart make the only blown block out of anyone on the starting line, but it was a running play, so no harm done.

Samuels was Samuels, but Dockery wasn't all that confident in where he was supposed to help. Of course, given that we only threw 6 times, there's no reason for worry here, yet.

First offense did some nice things, but ultimately, it was just a snapshot of last year's problems. Stayed out of third and long, but did not convert the third and mediums. Even if you think Campbell's days are numbered, you have to like the last play of the first drive. Getting to the fourth read against a six man rush is exactly the next step in his progresion. Protection held, but the Ravens did a good job collapsing the pocket and there was no throwing lane.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #53
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Casey Rabach was a perfect 10 for 10 on blocks, which has to be some sort of three year record for any 10 play stretch. That was quite refreshing.

Heyer was great, actually, perfect on running plays and all but perfect on passing plays.

I saw Rinehart make the only blown block out of anyone on the starting line, but it was a running play, so no harm done.

Samuels was Samuels, but Dockery wasn't all that confident in where he was supposed to help. Of course, given that we only threw 6 times, there's no reason for worry here, yet.

First offense did some nice things, but ultimately, it was just a snapshot of last year's problems. Stayed out of third and long, but did not convert the third and mediums. Even if you think Campbell's days are numbered, you have to like the last play of the first drive. Getting to the fourth read against a six man rush is exactly the next step in his progresion. Protection held, but the Ravens did a good job collapsing the pocket and there was no throwing lane.
GTripp, what was up with the running game...was it Betts or the offensive line? I get the sense that with Portis this will be different of course. I think if the running game had been better, the two series with the first team offense would have been much better (and if Haggans had not dropped that pass).
R.I.P. #21
Old 08-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #54
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
GTripp, what was up with the running game...was it Betts or the offensive line? I get the sense that with Portis this will be different of course. I think if the running game had been better, the two series with the first team offense would have been much better (and if Haggans had not dropped that pass).
It was the Ravens defense first and foremost. Betts didn't miss any holes from what I saw. Like I said, Rinehart blew a block that led to a stop after a yard, but the sample size (4-5 runs?) is so small that its basically meaningless.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:21 PM   #55
GTripp0012
Living Legend

For what it's worth, our first offense had a DSR of 60% (3/5). Last year, the Ravens defense gave up a DSR of 57.6%. So our offense, (in a meaningless sample, without Portis, Moss, or Randy Thomas) did better than the average offense against the Ravens last season.

Meaningless, but perspective nonetheless.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:27 PM   #56
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Cooley had a blown block that lead directly to a hit on Campbell and a fizzled out drive, but I can't remember the last time I saw Cooley pass blocking on third down, so, you know, there's that.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #57
GMScud
Swearinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Trigga View Post
Ok I was mistaken Cooley did have one grab. I was at the game I should've remembered that lol. And yes, he did have a career high 83 catches last year. But if I'm not mistaken, didn't he only have one measly touchdown?? I have to hope that number improves and we actually start to throw downfield to him instead of this dink and dunk crap
We do thrown down field to him, and when we dink/dunk it to him, he is fantastic at running after the catch.

I also think his one TD last year was much more a function of a poor offense that consistently stalled in the red zone than any drop off in his game (as evidenced by the 83 catches). He is entering the heart of his prime. If our offense picks it up and he continues his fabulous durability, I see some monster seasons from him in the very near future.
Old 08-15-2009, 02:00 AM   #58
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Taking things in perspective...at least JC didn't throw 3 picks:

Denver Broncos vs. San Francisco 49ers - Recap - August 14, 2009 - ESPN

Boy, the Broncos fans must be thrilled with the McDaniels era...oh and Knowshown has a knee sprain.
R.I.P. #21
Old 08-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #59
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

I watched the game yesterday on NFL Network.. and I really was not ALL that upset by what happened. Looking at the #1's vs #1's (Granted both teams had some guys out). I would say overall it was pretty even. I mean the Ravens defintley won that aspect, but I dont think they dominated us or anything like that. If Justin Tryon is not starting at CB, the game is 0-0. People need to remember as well, the Ravens are a pretty damn good football team... and we have Pittsburgh and New England on deck...

I was actually excited from what I saw from our offensive line. Yeah, the Ravens didnt bring the house or anything, but our offensive line was not physically dominated like I honestly was expecting.

Defensivley, I'll say I'm slightly dissapointed. I dont read all that much into Tryon sucking, because I really dont expect him to make this team. The linebacker coverage is the part I would say I am most concerned about. I'll give Fletcher the benefit of the doubt, because he's been so good for so long, but I didnt think he looked all that good in the game.

I think the starters should get about a full half against Pittsburgh next weekend and I think that will give us a better look at where we are at.

I still think we're a 9-7 team which could have a 2 game swing either way, but I dont really understand why people are completley freaking out about this game....

(and this isn't one of those we're the Redskins so we're so awesome type things, we clearly sucked ... but given what the preseason is and how the #1's who played did... I am not that upset)

Last edited by Gmanc711; 08-15-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:20 AM   #60
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Cooley had a blown block that lead directly to a hit on Campbell and a fizzled out drive, but I can't remember the last time I saw Cooley pass blocking on third down, so, you know, there's that.
Don't know if you caught this, but Rabach got reamed out by a coach on that particular play -- it was the one where Rinehart, Rabach, and Dockery all stood there without anyone to block while a blitz came from the left side which was picked up by Betts, but whiffed on by Cooley.

Makes you wonder if it was a blown blocking call by Rabach...
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote