Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

New Lipstick. Same Ole Hog

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #1
VirgilTibbs

New Lipstick. Same Ole Hog

This franchise sells hope each year but nothing ever changes. Revolving door of players, coaches, new GM but the results are all too familiar. Pity to the season ticket holders who each year think this franchise has finally turned the corner, when in reality there's just new paint on the old pinto.

This franchise STILL lacks leadership and is very apparent not because of the way we were manhandled at home on Monday night, but how obvious issues continually fail to get addressed. Ignore the traditional "we need to sell tickets" flashy off season 75 million dollar splurge on a player who absolutely had no impact on the game whatsoever Monday night. It is much deeper than that.

Fans were finally so excited to have a "real GM" Scot Mcloughan take over this franchise that many have failed to remove the rose colored glasses, be honest with themselves and criticize significant areas where he's already dropped the ball in just one year. Great coaches can make average and underachieving players look good. Great players can make average and underachieving coaches look good. If you have neither, your team looks like the Washington Redskins.

There is no reason why we should be surprised by what happened Monday night. Frankly, this team is not good and never has been. Winning out 9-7 last year in a division consisting of teams either rebuilding or missing key contributors most of the season, only to get manhandled at home in the wildcard game is nothing to be excited for next season. Mcloughan has definitely failed in some areas that has me scratching my head:

- Jay Gruden and Joe Barry are not good coaches. Neither would be head coach or defensive coordinator anywhere else in the league. Neither has proven anything in the league and neither are good enough to offset the deficiencies of a roster full of average to below average players. Scot should have parted ways when he had the chance instead of retaining both.

- After 10 seasons, Kedric Golston is STILL a member of the Washington Redskins and is starting at nose tackle. There is no explanation for why Golston is retained year after year the same as if he were a hall of famer. In 10 seasons, Golston has only accounted for 7 sacks. Does Kedric have some dirt on the team? Some connection to the owner? Who knows, but for a player who wouldn't even make the final 53 on another team to still be on the payroll after 10 underachieving seasons is definitely a sign of serious issues.

- Deangelo Hall is not an NFL starting free safety and the team should have moved on from him when he was no longer capable of playing CB instead of ignoring one of the teams biggest needs and going the cheap route by experimenting with a washed up CB.

- Matt Jones, the injury fumble prone upright runner with bad hole vision who goes down on first contact is not an NFL starting RB. Again, being cheap by letting Alfred Morris walk without any plan to replace with a better option. And none of the backup rbs pose any threat to other teams which is why they will dare us to pass the ball and rarely blitz.

- The starting defensive line is comprised of guys cut picked up off the street or guys who wouldn't even be starting anywhere else. Ziggy Hood, Kedric Golston, Ricky Jean-Francois and Chris Baker is laughable at best to roll out as a starting defensive line and expect to contain some of the leagues best rbs. Heck, 33 year old backup Deangelo Williams ran for 143. Imagine if Leveon Bell was back there.

- There is no one even close to elite talent on defense. With the exception of Norman (who still has to prove his impact) and Kerrigan (who's good but not elite), the linebackers and safeties are either rookies, guys with little experience or fill ins who were cut from other teams. If you thought Bashaud Breeland was better than he actually is, reference Antonio Brown Monday night.

- Kirk Cousins is not the future, there are other QB's in the league who can perform the same or better for cheaper, yet there are still question marks over our direction with him and we enter another year with Colt Mccoy as backup. Monday night, Cousins showed what he is and what he isn't. But this has been apparent for quite some time now.

Desean Jackson catching the occasional 50 yard deep pass or Jordan Reed grabbing 10 catches for 100 yards a few games may be exciting, however we should expect more if this franchise will ever move forward as being taken serious. Serious changes STILL need to be made top down and the roster is far from even being playoff caliber. Other teams in our division have actually gotten better during the off season. We seem to have gotten worse.

While some thought that a new GM would bring change, vision and stability, I see the exact opposite. I see a team with unclear direction, below average coaches, coaching a roster lacking serious talent. We're in for a loooonnngg season. Wash, Rinse and Repeat. Sounds like deja vu?!

Last edited by VirgilTibbs; 09-14-2016 at 01:20 PM.
VirgilTibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #2
mredskins
MVP

Re: New Lipstick. Same Ole Hog

Oh lord...wall of text!
Old 09-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
MTK
\m/

So how about those reuben sandwiches
Old 09-14-2016, 01:27 PM   #4
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

I'll have a hoagie!!

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

I haven't seen this type of over-reaction in my entire life as a fan over a single game. Except now:

I F-ING LOVE REUBENS!!!!!!!!! OMGZZ!11!!! BEST. SANDWICH. EVER.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #6
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I'm convinced half of this fan base is bipolar.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #7
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgilTibbs View Post
This franchise sells hope each year but nothing ever changes. Revolving door of players, coaches, new GM but the results are all too familiar.
You make some good points most other skins fans have as well. But we are moving in the right direction and I would take 9-7 and a chance in the playoffs every year.

The progress and process is there. Frustrating that Run D was not improved but we have a pretty good roster and are moving in the right direction.

Playing well coached teams expose our weaknesses.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #8
VirgilTibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection View Post
I haven't seen this type of over-reaction in my entire life as a fan over a single game. Except now:

I F-ING LOVE REUBENS!!!!!!!!! OMGZZ!11!!! BEST. SANDWICH. EVER.
"Over-reaction", or being honest not living in denial by being a homer? We CANNOT stop the run. That is key even to stopping the pass, being competitive in games and winning games.

This offseason we lost Knighton, Hatcher and Paea on the Dline and replaced them with Hood and Kedric Golston as starters. Let me guess, a former first round bust who was cut and a 33 year old underachieving nose tackle with only 7 sacks in 10 seasons will magically turn into all pro lineman before the end of the season? Or wait, the 35 year old journeymen Cullen Jenkins will save our Dline!

Take off the rose colored glasses. Scot Mcloughan set this franchise up terribly this season.
Old 09-14-2016, 01:55 PM   #9
over the mountain
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgilTibbs View Post
"Over-reaction", or being honest not living in denial by being a homer? We CANNOT stop the run. That is key even to stopping the pass, being competitive in games and winning games.

This offseason we lost Knighton, Hatcher and Paea on the Dline and replaced them with Hood and Kedric Golston as starters. Let me guess, a former first round bust who was cut and a 33 year old underachieving nose tackle with only 7 sacks in 10 seasons will magically turn into all pro lineman before the end of the season? Or wait, the 35 year old journeymen Cullen Jenkins will save our Dline!

Take off the rose colored glasses. Scot Mcloughan set this franchise up terribly this season.
Not addressing the DT and ILB (and C) spots are frustrating. Especially to see those weaknesses attacked and exposed week 1. I think most skins fans see that and agree. But I think a lot of fans also see a lot of positives over the past 2 years.

This is not the same ol skins.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Old 09-14-2016, 02:15 PM   #11
VirgilTibbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
You make some good points most other skins fans have as well. But we are moving in the right direction and I would take 9-7 and a chance in the playoffs every year.

The progress and process is there. Frustrating that Run D was not improved but we have a pretty good roster and are moving in the right direction.

Playing well coached teams expose our weaknesses.
Yeah, I agree we are moving in a direction, but I can't necessarily determine if it's the right one or not. Some probably say "be patient, Scot hasn't had a time to rebuild, he hasn't even been here three years!!". Well, the limited amount of time he's been here and what he's done with it hasn't really instilled any confidence any me. Even read that outside of hitting it big with Justin Smith in San Fran, he really doesn't have a clue about drafting Dlineman. He passed over Leonard Williams for Brandon Scherff. Williams would have been more important to the impact of this teams success. Sure, Scherff is a good solid guard but you don't pass up on a potentially game changing elite talented Dlineman like Williams (2.5 sacks on Sunday) for a solid guard you can find elsewhere.

There were also other solid defensive players in the draft this past year available that would have helped immediately over selecting the WR Doctson who would be playing behind Jackson, Garcon and Crowder anyway.

Pittsburgh wasn't necessarily well coached on Monday night. Just sensibly coached. They weren't doing anything special to make us look bad, just that our coaching was below average. Gruden punting the ball on 4th and 1 in Pittsburgh territory and then going for it on 4th and 6 later in the game in the same situation.

We get the ball back before halftime with 30 seconds to go and timeouts. Pittsburgh receives the ball first before halftime. We are behind. We don't even attempt to get in field goal range but are content waltzing into the locker room.

Joe Barry not allowing your 75 million dollar lock down corner cover the leagues best WR Antonio Brown.

Just a few things that are "common sense" which players around the league and the media have found as hilarious. An opposing coach only has to be average to out coach this team.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:26 PM   #12
los panda
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Walton View Post
getting hungry, and thirsty.

Old 09-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #13
SirLK26
The Starter

Lets not forget McCloughan went 7-9 in his first two years in Seattle. You folks expecting an instant 180 were destined for disappointment. Give this team at least another year, probably more because of how bad we were before McCloughan got here
SirLK26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:36 PM   #14
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Eh, this is probably better than that thread about the Browns' IR QB.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:39 PM   #15
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

Pastrami!