'No doubt about it,' Redskins need to upgrade at running back

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #16
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: 'No doubt about it,' Redskins need to upgrade at running back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Sidenote, I'm hoping that Cleveland takes Barkley #1 overall, because I do not want him to fall to the Giants. We'd be the odd team out in terms of RB talent if this happens (Cowpukes = Elliott, Iggles = Ayayi, Gmen = Barkley).
I felt the opposite, because if the Giants take Barkley:
1) they miss out on an Eli successor,
2) our defense would face the same challenge from all 3 NFC East opponents which ought to force us to get a run stopper that we need, and wouldn't have divergent threats from within the conference
3) RBs, even elite ones have a far shorter life span then if they trade down and get still get a top OL that sticks for 12-15 years.

Barkley would hurt, but I think it's the best of the options from the Skins perspective.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 03-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #17
Schneed10
A Dude

Could look at it that way. Or you could look at it like first round QBs whiff at least 50% of the time. Barkley though looks like as sure a thing as you can be.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:09 PM   #18
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
I felt the opposite, because if the Giants take Barkley:
1) they miss out on an Eli successor,
2) our defense would face the same challenge from all 3 NFC East opponents which ought to force us to get a run stopper that we need, and wouldn't have divergent threats from within the conference
3) RBs, even elite ones have a far shorter life span then if they trade down and get still get a top OL that sticks for 12-15 years.

Barkley would hurt, but I think it's the best of the options from the Skins perspective.
If he is there the Giants take Barkley it's a no brainier but he won't be. Browns will take him and then the Giants will trade down for picks. They have Eli successor in Davis Webb and might take another QB later on.They need to update the O line and bring in 3/4 personnel (LBer's)since they are revamping the Defense.Crimarti is moving to Free Saftey to play along Collins.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:12 PM   #19
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
If he is there the Giants take Barkley it's a no brainier but he won't be. Browns will take him and then the Giants will trade down for picks. They have Eli successor in Davis Webb and might take another QB later on.They need to update the O line and bring in 3/4 personnel (LBer's)since they are revamping the Defense.Crimarti is moving to Free Saftey to play along Collins.
This is what I DON'T want them to do.
Old 03-07-2018, 02:13 PM   #20
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Could look at it that way. Or you could look at it like first round QBs whiff at least 50% of the time. Barkley though looks like as sure a thing as you can be.
Well I figure our whiff on RG3 was large enough to doom us to Wentz working out, plus carry over to the Giants as well
Old 03-07-2018, 02:45 PM   #21
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
This is what I DON'T want them to do.
I do, I like the direction the're going in. Given the right protection and personnel Eli has a good two years left ,Webb is good if you want to get a QB I am fine with that but I would take one later. To me you trade down get Nelson from ND and a top LBer for the new 3/4 defense ,the draft has a bunch of good RB's.
Old 03-07-2018, 04:51 PM   #22
skinsfan69
Living Legend

We can find a back in the later rounds or free agency. It's the most disposable position in the NFL. I'd be more concerned w/ who's blocking. Too many times our backs were getting hit right after the handoff.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:38 PM   #23
Bigreds77
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
We can find a back in the later rounds or free agency. It's the most disposable position in the NFL. I'd be more concerned w/ who's blocking. Too many times our backs were getting hit right after the handoff.
You are right
Bigreds77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #24
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
But back to the topic, yeah I really hope they do what it takes to get a good one. I feel like a real good solution would be to trade down from 13 and try to acquire more picks. Like if you slide down from 13 to 22 or something, you might be able to pick up a 3rd rounder in that deal. And then at 22 you'd be in a great spot to draft a talented runner like Guice.

If we stick at 13 I'd rather see an impact defensive lineman or linebacker. But trading back gives you more swings of the bat, and would put us in the spot where RB becomes a solid value play.
According to Ye Olde Draft Pick Value Chart, moving down from 13 to 22 would be worth a second round pick. As it happens, Buffalo has picks 21 and 22 and if they were to want to move ahead of AZ at 15 to get a QB, then they could trade with the Skins for 13. If that were to occur, then the Skins could probably give up 13 and receive 21 and 53 (second rounder). The value chart points would be exactly the same. If we really wanted to hold up BUF, we could demand an additional pick this year or next year. BTW, BUF would still have a second round pick this year at 55.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #25
ethat001
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Yeah, it's been discussed so many times but it frustrates me to no end that people consider our O-line a top 5 line (when healthy) and Callahan as the "guru" --- but we cannot seem to run block for years! I saw Alfred Morris chugging through holes the size of Texas with the Dallas O-line -- THAT is how you run block. Our backs often don't have a chance.

We cannot just blame it on our backs and I'd like to know what the plan is to fix it. Doing the same thing again each year is the definition of insanity.
ethat001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 06:00 PM   #26
MTK
\m/

'No doubt about it,' Redskins need to upgrade at running back

The backs definitely have to take some blame. Kelley has zero vision and he constantly leaves yards on the field.

Perine did a better job as the season went on but he still needs work.

We definitely need to add some legit talent.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:55 AM   #27
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
According to Ye Olde Draft Pick Value Chart, moving down from 13 to 22 would be worth a second round pick. As it happens, Buffalo has picks 21 and 22 and if they were to want to move ahead of AZ at 15 to get a QB, then they could trade with the Skins for 13. If that were to occur, then the Skins could probably give up 13 and receive 21 and 53 (second rounder). The value chart points would be exactly the same. If we really wanted to hold up BUF, we could demand an additional pick this year or next year. BTW, BUF would still have a second round pick this year at 55.
Thanks I was wondering about what we could get.

I really think we could get good value from a team trying to get a QB: we'd be in position of strength, because they'd NEED to trade up, while we'd be ok staying at 13 and picking a playmaking DL. Good position to negotiate !
Old 03-08-2018, 04:18 AM   #28
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I keep hearing that you can just plug anyone in the backfield and it should work perfectly. Clearly that's not the case. It takes talent to be a good NFL running back, otherwise just sign an UDFA every year and plug him in. Hell, I'm available. The last great RB we had, we had to trade a HOF corner to get. We keep kicking the can every year on this position and saying this is the year we get a beast in the 6th round. Well, it hasn't happened. Lets get a badass back there.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #29
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I keep hearing that you can just plug anyone in the backfield and it should work perfectly. Clearly that's not the case. It takes talent to be a good NFL running back, otherwise just sign an UDFA every year and plug him in. Hell, I'm available. The last great RB we had, we had to trade a HOF corner to get. We keep kicking the can every year on this position and saying this is the year we get a beast in the 6th round. Well, it hasn't happened. Lets get a badass back there.
That works with Brady, he can win with anyone at RB... Other than that NO, look at New Orleans, before Kamara they never had a threat at RB.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:45 AM   #30
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Eagles had two cast offs that they picked up in FA and a trade. Worked well for them cause they have a pretty good line. It probably won't happen again but if there's a guard at #13 and he's BPA then please draft him. You win in the trenches. That's what use to win around here.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote