Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

NFL uncapped -- Good or bad in your eyes?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #31
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: NFL uncapped -- Good or bad in your eyes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogs Breath View Post
Teams that will slide back to stinkdom come after the cap ends:

Jaguars
Bengals
Green Bay
Carolina

Two will probably go or move:

New Orleans
Buffalo

As for the Skins. We won our SB titles before the cap.

One thing for sure. No Cap and the bench for some gets alot deeper. If the cap goes some teams will have awesome special teams and the others will suck even worse than they do now if that is possible.
Jax is already in the hole and talking moving and thats with the cap.
Bengals actually started something until they hired the thugs.
GB is the staple of Wisconsin. It will survive. build a bigger stadium and charg more. lol.

Carolina started out on the cusp. They can't even fill their stadium.

NO owner has committed himself. plus all he wants is a free stadium to stay.

Buff yeah you might be right they are talking about moving to Canada. LOL
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2008, 10:11 PM   #32
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I wonder how many teams moved before the cap vs after the cap started. I'm not sure if the Rams count. Look at the Raiders, I think they move just to change uniforms.

Cardinals. Oilers/Titans. Baltimore. I don't even think Detroit plays in Detroit. Maybe if the owner spent a little of his money to advertise and think of new ways to generate income instead of relying on the lucrative market fans (Redskins/Dalls) to support their needs and stadiums our ticket prices would come down to the affordable level. or not.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #33
GusFrerotte

Get rid of the god damned cap. I am tired of seeing mediocre/ socialized football. There is no such thing as a small market team anymore save a few exceptions(Detroit). Why drag most of the league down only to promote parody(mediocrity). I mean look at the state of the league. Is there really parody? You had only a few real good teams that were real well honed machines and then a bunch of mediocre teams with a few real crappy teams like Miami and Oakland. I am sorry guys, I want to see great football. I miss the old Gibby days, the old Walsh Days, Marty, Reeves, etc. Pre cap era you had some really good teams out there(Wash, Dallas, Giants, San Fran, Buffalo, Cleveland, Denver, Chicago, Miami, Oakland) not just a league that had only 3 good teams in it. Let the money fly. Teams like Oakland and Miami can be competitive again real soon since they are in big markets. Let the market decide who is competitve, not the jerks from the NFL.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:18 PM   #34
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I can remember the "Team players". I know most of you youngins won't recognize what I'm sayin but true "team players" did not defect to the enemy because the curret team could not afford to keep you or pay what you thought you were worth. Now it's all business...dollars and cents. You would see only the occassional player that left his team that drafted him but for the most part players were kept when they were drafted. not long gone after 4-5 yrs.

No one can say there were complete dominances because the Steelers came and went, 49ers came and went, Miami came and went, Houston came and went and same with the Jets, and Baltimore. No team stayed a dynasty for yrs.

Now a days you can draft someone then after 4-5 yrs the player is gone. Moved on to greener pastures or better pay. It's hard to build a team and keep continuity when you have constant turnover.

I never understood why fans outside of one market should be subjected to paying higher prices for everything to see a portion of the profit not stay with the team or players or upgrading the facility but to see the money get shipped out to another market to help an owner pay his players or for his stadium? All the while the owner refuses to dip into his pocket or savings to put a better product on the field to entertain and bring more of a fan base.

Drop the cap and force owners to buy into a health plan for their players. 32 team times what 52 players per team should bring enough players to get a good low costing insurance and force the players to take a % of their earnings and invest it for retirement.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:26 AM   #35
That Guy
Living Legend

great for us, terrible for the league.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #36
pick-ups
Camp Scrub

Very bad
pick-ups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #37
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Good only cuz im a skins fan. The current salary cap is a joke anyways since a unproven rookie can be the richest guy on the team from day 1.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 PM   #38
Brian Orakpo

I have mixed feelings on the salary cap. The league has all of these different ways for small market teams to compete yet it seems teams yearly dont spend to improve their football team. Its funny when you look at the amount of salary cap space some teams have. I hate how the Skins spend and cant win yet other teams lowball their players and dont spend to improve their team yet they win. Being a Redskin fan I kinda hope the cap goes away so teams that want to win and spend to win arent held back. I realize the NFL will suffer as a whole as some teams will suck because they dont have the resources to sign players. As a Skins fan though im tired of seeing teams try to save a buck yet compete.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:28 AM   #39
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Let's face it: if you can't buy all the talent you'd ever want with a totally obscene 130 million dollar cap, there's something wrong with your business plan. Despite the average player salary being significantly lower than in baseball, pretty much every team currently has the capability to spend like the Red Sox.

The salary cap used to be the main drive behind parity, but since about 2005, it's only meant anything to Dan Snyder and the Titans the one year they had to tear down because of poor cap management. In it's current state, it's biggest effect on the game is the salary floor. Nothing would happen among the top two thirds of the league if it went away.

Now the 2010 uncapped year under the current CBA...that could be actually interesting.

But let's face it, after all the cap space we're not supposed to have, the fact that we fit Haynesworth and Hall under the cap with plenty of room to spare means that the cap is pretty much useless to the mid and large markets.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:01 AM   #40
John Denny
Special Teams

Danny will be sure to pass the buck along to the fans for sure. I'm sure he'll find a way to make us pay to take a piss.
The salary cap is a good thing.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:30 AM   #41
an23dy
Special Teams

Definitely helps the Redskins so I like it. I think most teams have money and fans that will support them so they can afford to get some players if there were no cap. I don't see it becoming baseball, firstly because it is more popular and also because there is more parity in football than baseball. Any given Sunday with any weird bounce the game can change and emotion/intensity is much more of a factor.
an23dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 01:38 AM   #42
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

I don't think it's as simple as "there's no cap, go spend freely." There are a lot of triggers in place that really limit team's ability to spend in an uncapped year, for one thing the number of unrestricted free agents will be greatly reduced. Also, I'm pretty certain there are other owners out there who will spend as much, if not more than, as Snyder with no cap.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:25 AM   #43
53Fan
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
I don't think it's as simple as "there's no cap, go spend freely." There are a lot of triggers in place that really limit team's ability to spend in an uncapped year, for one thing the number of unrestricted free agents will be greatly reduced. Also, I'm pretty certain there are other owners out there who will spend as much, if not more than, as Snyder with no cap.
But isn't that a good thing? Player movement is one of my, and other fans I believe, biggest gripes. I hate to see the constant rotation of players from team to team. A player gets developed and then gets lost to another team. Oh well, time to mothball another jersey. Every year we see "salary cap casualties". I'm not looking for us to go and try to buy a championship like the Yankees, but I would like to see us be able to spend freely to keep our own players. To me, the salary cap and unrestricted free agents have led to impatience and lack of development of players. Hell if things don't work out we can always sign a FA. As has been mentioned before, some teams don't even spend what they're allowed. Some only spend what they HAVE to because there is a floor. I personally don't care what they spend or what their motivation is, but an owner who wants to win championships shouldn't be financially restricted from doing so. You should be able to pay your players what you want, and without so many UFA's there would be less movement and players holding your team hostage because someone else is now offering you more money and you're free to go with no obligation to the team that drafted and developed you. Rozelle wanted parity and now we've got one of the cheapest owners in the NFL with his team in the Super Bowl (Cardinals). Fine. The players and coaches earned it. But I don't want my owner restricted in what he can spend so we can be on an even keel with the Bidwells of the NFL. Why should the weakest link set the standard that we should go by?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:23 AM   #44
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
But isn't that a good thing? Player movement is one of my, and other fans I believe, biggest gripes. I hate to see the constant rotation of players from team to team. A player gets developed and then gets lost to another team. Oh well, time to mothball another jersey. Every year we see "salary cap casualties". I'm not looking for us to go and try to buy a championship like the Yankees, but I would like to see us be able to spend freely to keep our own players. To me, the salary cap and unrestricted free agents have led to impatience and lack of development of players. Hell if things don't work out we can always sign a FA. As has been mentioned before, some teams don't even spend what they're allowed. Some only spend what they HAVE to because there is a floor. I personally don't care what they spend or what their motivation is, but an owner who wants to win championships shouldn't be financially restricted from doing so. You should be able to pay your players what you want, and without so many UFA's there would be less movement and players holding your team hostage because someone else is now offering you more money and you're free to go with no obligation to the team that drafted and developed you. Rozelle wanted parity and now we've got one of the cheapest owners in the NFL with his team in the Super Bowl (Cardinals). Fine. The players and coaches earned it. But I don't want my owner restricted in what he can spend so we can be on an even keel with the Bidwells of the NFL. Why should the weakest link set the standard that we should go by?
All good points. All I was trying to say is there is a misconception among many fans that the rules of free agency will be exactly the same without a cap so the only difference would be that the owners could spend whatever they want. And for Redskins fans, that means Snyder can go out and get any free agent out there. But, as I said, because of several triggers in the clause that would impact free agency, that scenario is kind of utopian.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:56 AM   #45
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

Quote:
Exactly. People seem to think that with an uncapped year everything will stay the same as it is now with free agency. Teams in essence get a 2nd franchise type tag, it takes longer for drafted players to hit FA, etc. Teams will have a MUCH easier time retaining players. In my opinion and uncapped league makes drafting MUCH more important. For instance, before the salary cap era, how much player movement was there? Hardly any I believe.

I do think we'll see an increase in trades since you won't be wrecking your cap for years to come by trading players around.