Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Brunell in Saunders's offense ?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #61
warriorzpath

Re: Brunell in Saunders's offense ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy
well, he is making more than vet min, but i have yet to hear of a QB breaking out after 35 after showing no signs of life beforehand...
There may be a first for everything. There hasn't been a hall-of-fame coach to ever come back and then win a playoff game before a couple years ago. And i'm not saying he is good - going by what Uncle Al is saying.

But was that posted in this thread (tmc's post) ?
warriorzpath is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 05-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #62
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

No disrespect at all warriorzpath, but there is most definitely a first time for everything, and monkeys could fly out of my butt.

The latter is just about as likely as Collins ever starting a game again barring injury. More than likely his career ends with the Redskins. He can completely tear it up in preaseason and still will sit the bench. He's a role player and will be the resident clipboard holder this year.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:12 PM   #63
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMalcolmConnection
No actually, the REAL question is WHY are we still talking about Collins prowess as a QB? We all know that Campbell will be #2 at season's beginning and Collins will be there to teach both Brunell and Campbell.
I think we all knew that Ramsey - if anyone was - was going to lead us to the playoffs as qb last season.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:13 PM   #64
warriorzpath

Quote:
No disrespect at all warriorzpath, but there is most definitely a first time for everything, and monkeys could fly out of my butt.

The latter is just about as likely as Collins ever starting a game again barring injury. More than likely his career ends with the Redskins. He can completely tear it up in preaseason and still will sit the bench. He's a role player and will be the resident clipboard holder this year.
Weren't we all saying the same thing last year about Brunell last offseason ?
Old 05-16-2006, 03:14 PM   #65
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Again though, realize I'm coming in that the end of this discussion, but to me it seems like a Collins love-fest (I could be totally wrong).

I'm glad the Skins got him, got he's here to teach, but I don't want to see him start a single game for us either.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #66
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan
C'mon...must we go down that road?

Doesn't matter what Saunders has said. The real question is what has Collins shown in ten years??
Have you personally seen what he has shown ? I haven't.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:15 PM   #67
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorzpath
Weren't we all saying the same thing last year about Brunell last offseason ?
Nah. I think we all just assumed Ramsey was going to be the starter and that was that. I'm not saying it's not possible, but Collins is a guy on the tail end of his career. If Collins starts at all, then I guarantee you it's because Brunell either played like shit or got hurt, and Campbell came in and got hurt.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:18 PM   #68
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

To me, this just kind of shows that he can throw more INTs than TDs when he gets to play a whole season.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:19 PM   #69
12thMan
MVP

Quote:
Have you personally seen what he has shown ? I haven't.
And the reason neither of us have seen him is because he aint that good!

There, I said it!! Collins is a bum!!!
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #70
warriorzpath

Quote:
Again though, realize I'm coming in that the end of this discussion, but to me it seems like a Collins love-fest (I could be totally wrong).

I'm glad the Skins got him, got he's here to teach, but I don't want to see him start a single game for us either.
Why have you seen him play ? - you know I don't really care who plays as long it gets redskins winning and contending for the superbowl. But the point of this thread is: collins has a real chance to start and maybe a great qb in this situation. I personally don't care who starts - if brunell tears it up then let him lead the team, I will personally be first in line for the brunell-for-prez signups.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:21 PM   #71
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Ahhh, the point is that Collins has a real chance to start?

OK, now that I get it all, here's my answer:

He will have no chance to start at all. If it's not Brunell, it will be Campbell.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:24 PM   #72
warriorzpath

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12thMan
And the reason neither of us have seen him is because he aint that good!

There, I said it!! Collins is a bum!!!
I guess I have a totally different perspective on football than some of you - I need to actually see (or experience) something before I make judgments. I haven't said he is good or bad.

Collins might be a bum, but all I am saying is Saunders (and therefore, the redskins) don't think so. If you are disagreeing with anyone, it is Saunders and the redskins.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:26 PM   #73
MTK
\m/

Let's put things into perspective here. Collins hasn't seen meaningful playing time in nearly 10 years. Soak that one in for a moment.

There's a reason why he hasn't played, and it's not because he's been buried on the depth chart behind Trent Green.

I'm not saying it's totally impossible for him to be some sort of hidden gem, but if you really think Saunders brought him in here for anything more than just a clipboard holder, you're going to be really disappointed.

Brunell is the short term answer, Campbell is the long term answer. Collins doesn't fit into this equation at all unless it's due to injury. He might be #2 on the depth chart right now, but I predict Campbell will start the season listed as the #2 and Collins will look damn good in a baseball cap all season.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #74
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
I guess I have a totally different perspective on football than some of you - I need to actually see (or experience) something before I make judgments. I haven't said he is good or bad.

Collins might be a bum, but all I am saying is Saunders (and therefore, the redskins) don't think so. If you are disagreeing with anyone, it is Saunders and the redskins.
They think he's "serviceable" which is a far cry from being a star. They brought him in because he knows the system. If they wanted to bring in a possible starting quality QB, they would have signed someone like Kitna.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:32 PM   #75
12thMan
MVP

Quote:

Collins might be a bum, but all I am saying is Saunders (and therefore, the redskins) don't think so.
Man, lighten up...will ya? Of course, I don't think Collins is a bum. And it's cool to have a different perspective on football. But at some point that point of view has to be tempered with some reality.

The truth is, Todd Collins has been somewhat of a journeyman throughout his career. Appearantly there is nothing special or amazing about him in any way.

I think Al Saunders likes his work ethic, and mainly his football acumen. Could he step in and having one amazing season? Sure it could happen. I think history has provided us with some truly amazing stories where no-name back-up quarterbacks have come in and done some special things.
I just wouldn't read too much into what Saunders said about Collins nor would I even expect him to getting any meaningful playing time.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote