Brunell and Redskins Reportedly Close to Restructured Deal

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-27-2007, 11:05 AM   #61
freddyg12
Playmaker

Re: Brunell and Redskins Reportedly Close to Restructured Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
Let's shed a little salary cap light on the subject. Cutting Brunell would save the team $2.1 million in 2007.

But if he drops his base salary down from $5 million to the vet minimum, he saves us $4 million. Then of course you have to add in any incremental signing bonus he's getting as part of this restructure. If it's a $2 million bonus, then we can spread that over the 4 years he's still with us, adding $500 K to his cap figure. All in all, this method would create $3.5 million in cap space, that's quite a bit more than the $2.1 we'd get from axing him.

Doesn't make sense to cut the guy. Not when he's still more than capable of playing a backup role very well. All you can ask of a backup QB is to come in when you need him and not lose games. You can have a McNabb and Garcia situation for half a year, but if your backup is that good, you either can't afford him or he finds a starting job. Brunell is a solid backup, and this has all the makings of the smartest move possible given the circumstances.
Good analysis & great point. I hadn't figured in the cost of cutting him.
I think you have to add his shoulder surgery to the equation though. Gibbs must believe that he'll recover fully or near it. My concern w/keeping a roster space for him is that he realistically may be only a 3rd string qb when the season starts due to his recovery.
I know the team knows better than us, but it also seems that they've let him play through some pain when it may have been to the detriment of the team.
Just hope JC doesn't get hurt!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 02-27-2007, 11:09 AM   #62
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
Good analysis & great point. I hadn't figured in the cost of cutting him.
I think you have to add his shoulder surgery to the equation though. Gibbs must believe that he'll recover fully or near it. My concern w/keeping a roster space for him is that he realistically may be only a 3rd string qb when the season starts due to his recovery.
I know the team knows better than us, but it also seems that they've let him play through some pain when it may have been to the detriment of the team.
Just hope JC doesn't get hurt!
I didn't get the sense that the injury was so major that he would have any problem coming back.

Carson Palmer came back from a destroyed knee in 8 months. Now Brunell's no spring chicken like Palmer, but arthroscopic shoulder surgery? This isn't a major deal. I think he'll be OK.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:10 AM   #63
That Guy
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
In fairness to the team, and the offense, I hope Gibbs let's Collins compete for the #2. Brunell should not have the back-up job handed to him just becase he has game experience.
collins is probably going to opt out of his deal and leave.
That Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:12 AM   #64
MTK
\m/

Quote:
I didn't get the sense that the injury was so major that he would have any problem coming back.

Carson Palmer came back from a destroyed knee in 8 months. Now Brunell's no spring chicken like Palmer, but arthroscopic shoulder surgery? This isn't a major deal. I think he'll be OK.
He'll probably be limited in camps but as the starter JC would get the majority of the reps anyway. Besides, rest is probably the best thing for him.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:22 AM   #65
Beemnseven
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAS View Post
I was really hoping he'd go (or be let go) so that he wouldn't have to continue to put up with mindless crap from the fans. He could literally pay Dockery's, Springs, Clements', and Fletcher's contracts, discover a cure for cancer, bring peace to the Middle East, and joy to Mudville...and people would still complain about him.
Or, he could take a team with a great wideout, a solid TE, Clinton Portis and a top ten offensive line, complete 11-25 passes, 65 yards, 0 tds, 0 ints, throw the ball out of bounds on third down and lose 19-3 -- and some people will wonder why fans are so hard on him; so much so in fact, that they're worried his feelings might be hurt and maybe he should just leave town.
Beemnseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:45 AM   #66
irish
Playmaker

Quote:

You may want to talk to somebody that has had arthroscopic shoulder surgery about it not being a big deal. I know 2 guys in their 30s that have had it and said it is the most painful thing they have ever experienced. In fact one of the guys said if he had to have it again he'd just tell the Dr to chop his arm off (LOL) because the apain was unbelievable. No matter how you sit stand or lay it hurts.
irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:48 AM   #67
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
Or, he could take a team with a great wideout, a solid TE, Clinton Portis and a top ten offensive line, complete 11-25 passes, 65 yards, 0 tds, 0 ints, throw the ball out of bounds on third down and lose 19-3 -- and some people will wonder why fans are so hard on him; so much so in fact, that they're worried his feelings might be hurt and maybe he should just leave town.
Well, as we've discussed many times over you can't pin everything on him, I think that's the basic point here. The year before he did help guide the team to the playoffs. Last year was a disaster across the board.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:49 AM   #68
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish View Post
You may want to talk to somebody that has had arthroscopic shoulder surgery about it not being a big deal. I know 2 guys in their 30s that have had it and said it is the most painful thing they have ever experienced. In fact one of the guys said if he had to have it again he'd just tell the Dr to chop his arm off (LOL) because the apain was unbelievable. No matter how you sit stand or lay it hurts.
Of course there's pain associated with any type of surgery, but arthroscopic surgery is pretty tame compared to a major reconstruction.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #69
Redskin Rich
The Starter

Brunell may only be 36, but has been beaten up like he was 10 years older... I like the idea of having a former starting QB as a back up and mentor to Campbell... but come on... we need someone we can count on. Remember, we started Campbell because Brunell could not get it done.
Redskin Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:07 PM   #70
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
I don't care what the pain is like. The pain is temporary. Every injured player deals with post-op pain.

I care about the structure of the joint. To my knowledge, it was a partially torn labrum. Pitchers come back from that in 8 months all the time, I see no reason Brunell can't.

It's not like his arm fell off or his knee has been reconstructed.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:19 PM   #71
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Speaking from personal experience, shoulder pain is nothing to scoff at. I have a partially torn rotator cuff and need to have surgery. Mine is so small that you can barely see it on an MRI and I will have a 6 month rehab. It hurts so much sometimes that I can't raise my arm to shoulder level without it almost bringing me to tears. I've had knee injuries, ankle injuries, pulled muscles and broken bones (no, I'm not Taylor Jacobs) and nothing compares to the shoulder pain.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:23 PM   #72
hesscl34

I'm so happy we are keeping MB!!!
hesscl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:34 PM   #73
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesscl34 View Post
I'm so happy we are keeping MB!!!
THAT'S humor!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #74
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Good grief! People are so worried that Brunell is going to step out on the field. Lord forbid he does and leads this team to the Super Bowl. Maybe saying the name "Mark Brunell" should be added to the list of the "PC" movement instead of Redskin. Just sounds like to me that a few get offended whenever he does something to help the team. The guy is a team player and has contributed alot of positives to this thing. For ever negative he has contributed can be said for all of our other players this past year as well. The fact of the matter is, I trust Mark Brunell a whole heck of a lot more as our #2 guy than somebody like Todd Collins who is up there in age as well and has hardly thrown a ball in the NFL that mattered to anybody.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:42 PM   #75
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemnseven View Post
I'm pretty sure this nor a situation similar to this ever happened.