Redskins 2019 PRE Draft thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-22-2019, 03:32 PM   #46
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Re: Redskins 2019 PRE Draft thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Drafting a QB is short sighted? I think it’s quite the opposite considering it may be someone who won’t even play next year.

Short sighted was not having a developmental QB already on the roster this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you really think allowing Gruden to spend a first round pick on HIS QB when Gruden will not be the head coach in 2020 makes sense? The guy we hire in 2020 likely will run a completely different offense and Gruden's QB might not fit well in his system. If Gruden wants to spend a mid to late round pick on a developmental QB, ok. But not an early pick. Those picks are too valuable.

It is in the best LONG-TERM interests of the team to use our early 2019 picks and most of our free agent money on players that can thrive in multiple systems. I am just as averse to not using our 2019 1st rounder on a guy who can ONLY play OLB in a 3-4 as I am not using it on a QB, for example.

Trying to make a "splash" in 2019 by spending a 1st rounder on a QB might drum up a little fan excitement, but its not in the best long-term interests of the team. That future doesn't start until 2020.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #47
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillH View Post
Jones is probably my least favorite of the options this year... watched a few games of film of him playing against shitty teams looking like a JAG.

I think I'd take Tyree Jackson over him even.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
In the 5th round Sure.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #48
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Will Grier or Murry at 15...I wouldn’t be mad about that...
Will either of them be good to run the system of our head coach in 2020?

Allowing Gruden to draft a QB with our first round pick is like giving the keys to your porche to a guy who just found out he only has hours to live. Chances are, you're going to need a new car tomorrow.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:36 PM   #49
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
In the NFL , Teams hire coaches to adapt to the QB's strengths. Its the most important position in football.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:37 PM   #50
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Rams did it with Goff / Fisher
Old 01-22-2019, 04:05 PM   #51
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post

Allowing Gruden to draft a QB with our first round pick is like giving the keys to your porche to a guy who just found out he only has hours to live. Chances are, you're going to need a new car tomorrow.
Young arm on the team this coming year is a must. I think it’s a legit concern you raise and I’ve mentioned that same concern recently but decent young talent should work in any system.

That doesn’t mean blindly select a qb and hope it can work between multiple systems. As an organization when making a decision on drafting QB, ensure the guy you pick is coachable and has the flexibility to play in multiple nfl schemes. Attitude in dealing with change should be considered. This stuff isn’t hard, but the skins put themselves in this position time and time again.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:07 PM   #52
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

What I am really hoping for and its a long shot but I want AZ to take Murray #1 and then trade Rosen to us for the 15th pick.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:19 AM   #53
bigant
Special Teams

jones is the #2 QB right now coming out better than grier and locke
bigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #54
jamf
Pro Bowl

I think we should go with two young QBs.
Have Colt or Johnson as the starter and use the young guys as backup.
If we lose our #1 QB again, our dream of an 8-8 season will be over. We should give that valuable playing time to a young QB with a future instead of trying to get to 7-9 or 6-10 with a backup Vet QB.
jamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #55
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
In the NFL , Teams hire coaches to adapt to the QB's strengths. Its the most important position in football.
Yeah, that's what we did when we hired Gruden... to work with RG3. How'd that work out for us?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results. Going back for decades now, our team has a track record of new coaches being saddled with the previous coaches QB and it NOT working. What reason do we have to think it will be any different in 2019?

Sure, occasionally, a new coach comes in and works magic with the previous coaches QB. McVay did it with Goff. But this is the exception, rather than the rule. From my perspective, doing this gives your team 3 main challenges that could easily be avoided.

Challenge #1 - the QB
When you invest a first round pick in a QB knowing youre probably going to fire his HC after the season, youre making it so much harder for him to succeed. He's going to learn a new offensive system in year one, and then have to learn another one in year two. Sometimes QBs are drafted and have instant success. But generally, rookie QBs need atleast 2 years in an offensive system before they start to have success. If we draft a QB this year, and make him start over in 2020, then we can't realistically expect to get a good feel for how he'll be long-term until 2021. And then after 2022, youre going to have to decide if you want to start exercising 5th year options.

The true advantage of drafting a rookie QB is getting to pay a bargain price for the NFLs most expensive position for 4 years. By drafting a QB this year and then forcing him to start over next year, you're giving the team one less year to have a cheap QB on the books. Youre also giving yourself one less year to evaluate if you want to sign him long-term. Why knowingly put yourself in that position?

Challenge #2- the Coach
When you have spent your first round pick on a QB the previous year, there is pressure for whomever you hire as your new head coach to start that QB. Presumably, the QB did become an instant superstar, because if he did, you probably wouldn't be looking for a head coach. So with a QB who didn't look good in year 1, you're going to have a lot of coaches who may not want to come here BECAUSE of the QB. So you're limiting your pool of candidates - and we're already going to have a hard enough time as it is getting coaches to want to come here when compared to less dysfunctional teams.

Or, you'll have coaches who may claim they can "fix" the QB just to get the job, when in reality they don't like the guy at all and will bench him the first chance they get for another QB and then use the first QB as an excuse to get a contract extension when he really doesn't deserve it (See Gruden, Jay).

If we want to attract the best HC candidates in 2020, our best bet is to give him a "clean slate" at QB. Let him pick his QB and let him be able to develop the QB for 4 years on a cheap contract before we even have to think about a long-term contract.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:23 PM   #56
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
What I am really hoping for and its a long shot but I want AZ to take Murray #1 and then trade Rosen to us for the 15th pick.
Get a 1st round QB and add another first round pick in the same draft?
If I am AZ I am on that deal like white on rice.

And if my name is Bruce Allen, I am looking for a new job. That is what I tell my engineers is an "RGE" "Resume-Generating-Event".
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #57
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Get a 1st round QB and add another first round pick in the same draft?
If I am AZ I am on that deal like white on rice.

And if my name is Bruce Allen, I am looking for a new job. That is what I tell my engineers is an "RGE" "Resume-Generating-Event".
It's been rumored that Kingsbury wants Murray so we will see
Old 01-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #58
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigant View Post
jones is the #2 QB right now coming out better than grier and locke
Jim Cobern Draft Network

"Daniel Jones is not the answer. If you are a QB needy team. Walk away."
Old 01-23-2019, 04:21 PM   #59
Buffalo Bob
The Starter

Quote:
Why? I watched a lot of UCLA games and never understood his lofty status. He had a sub .500 career win percentage in college including playing very poorly against ranked opponents. He also seemed to be one of those guys who looked way better in the box score than on the field. He seemed to make bonehead plays at the worst times. I was not at all surprised at him being the lowest rated NFL starting passer. I wouldn't even give a 4th for him.
Buffalo Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 04:23 PM   #60
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Jim Cobern Draft Network

"Daniel Jones is not the answer. If you are a QB needy team. Walk away."
agree

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote