Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

'No doubt about it,' Redskins need to upgrade at running back

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

'No doubt about it,' Washington Redskins need upgrade at running back - Washington Redskins Blog- ESPN

Good to hear DW acknowledge it's a big issue
Old 03-07-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Re: 'No doubt about it,' Redskins need to upgrade at running back

Doug Williams tells the truth and then we get this coach-speak double-talk from Gruden:

“We have backs in-house that we feel good about,” Gruden said. “We might need to add another piece to come in and compete for that job. We have two or three backs that can be your third-down guy with Byron and obviously Chris. A first- and second-down banger, we have Samaje and Rob Kelley. Maybe another one to compete in that role on first and second down. Maybe an all-purpose guy would be nice. I don’t know. There are a lot of options, but whoever it is, we intend on giving them a great opportunity to compete for a lot of carries.”
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 11:55 AM   #3
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Gruden is an idiot. Shouldn’t surprise anyone. Hell who needs running backs this is the Arena L .... oh whoops my bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:02 PM   #4
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Gruden is an idiot. Shouldn’t surprise anyone. Hell who needs running backs this is the Arena L .... oh whoops my bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's not fair. Publicly he has to support his players until they don't make the roster. Until we actually acquire more talent at RB, he has to keep his players motivated and feeling like he believes in them. Even if he doesn't.

This is a classic case of needing to interpret what's being said. He can't come out and say "yeah you guys are right, Perine fumbles too much and Rob Kelley isn't quick or fast enough." He probably thinks all those things. But until the organization actually decides it's going to move on from those players, like they did with Matt Jones, Gruden can't start shitting on them publicly in the media.
Old 03-07-2018, 12:11 PM   #5
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
That's not fair. Publicly he has to support his players until they don't make the roster. Until we actually acquire more talent at RB, he has to keep his players motivated and feeling like he believes in them. Even if he doesn't.

This is a classic case of needing to interpret what's being said. He can't come out and say "yeah you guys are right, Perine fumbles too much and Rob Kelley isn't quick or fast enough." He probably thinks all those things. But until the organization actually decides it's going to move on from those players, like they did with Matt Jones, Gruden can't start shitting on them publicly in the media.

Exactly, Gruden has a totally different relationship with the players than Williams does. Did we already forget the king of coach speak Joe Gibbs? In public he would never say anything bad about his guys. It’s just part of the job.

And if you read between the lines it’s not hard to see what Gruden is really saying.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #6
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Exactly, Gruden has a totally different relationship with the players than Williams does. Did we already forget the king of coach speak Joe Gibbs? In public he would never say anything bad about his guys. It’s just part of the job.

And if you read between the lines it’s not hard to see what Gruden is really saying.
Samaje Perine fights his guts out.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:08 PM   #7
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:31 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

Quote:

Classic Gibbsism
Old 03-08-2018, 12:35 PM   #9
Meks
Pro Bowl

Quote:
lmao.
R.I.P #21SEAN TAYLOR
Meks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
sevier2
Impact Rookie

Quote:

This sorta thing used to be referred to as "Having Class."

I know it's a foreign idea these days but it use to be as long you were employed or employing someone you kept up a good face towards each other for the sake of the companies reputation.

I for one prefer this type of behavior as apposed to someone such as Hue in Cleveland who likes to publicly take shots at his team/players.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:29 PM   #11
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

I totally understand that he needs to support the current roster. Honestly i do. I think he is an idiot anyway though so,.....
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 12:19 PM   #12
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Quote:
I really hope we pick a stud in the 1st 2 rounds. I want to see a guy that can rush for 1200+ and has skills to punch the ball in for 6 regularly.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #13
Schneed10
A Dude

But back to the topic, yeah I really hope they do what it takes to get a good one. I feel like a real good solution would be to trade down from 13 and try to acquire more picks. Like if you slide down from 13 to 22 or something, you might be able to pick up a 3rd rounder in that deal. And then at 22 you'd be in a great spot to draft a talented runner like Guice.

If we stick at 13 I'd rather see an impact defensive lineman or linebacker. But trading back gives you more swings of the bat, and would put us in the spot where RB becomes a solid value play.
Old 03-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #14
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Quote:
But back to the topic, yeah I really hope they do what it takes to get a good one. I feel like a real good solution would be to trade down from 13 and try to acquire more picks. Like if you slide down from 13 to 22 or something, you might be able to pick up a 3rd rounder in that deal. And then at 22 you'd be in a great spot to draft a talented runner like Guice.

If we stick at 13 I'd rather see an impact defensive lineman or linebacker. But trading back gives you more swings of the bat, and would put us in the spot where RB becomes a solid value play.
1) I like the idea of trading down, but couldn't we hope to get a 2nd if we trade even further down in the 1st? Or at least a 3rd and a 4th?
Legit question,I literally have no idea what's realistic or not here...

2) Even after trading down, I think I'd draft defense in the first (DT preferably), because I don't see us having the cap space to fill all our needs through FA.

Smith number is 17M, so we have 31M available. (Washington Redskins 2018 Salary Cap Table | Spotrac - overthecap says 48M without Smith contract so it matches)

It appears we're going to try to sign a WR, which I like, so that's at the very least 7M (apparently the number Richardson wants to get), that leaves us, at best, with 24M, enough to sign Brown and/or Breeland and/or Dontari Poe + a few cheaper signings/re-signings.
But not all three of them.

So, come draft day, we're left with at least one gaping hole in our defense.

I'd address that first, you can hope to get a good RB in the second round.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #15
simbosargos75
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchSkin View Post
1) I like the idea of trading down, but couldn't we hope to get a 2nd if we trade even further down in the 1st? Or at least a 3rd and a 4th?
Legit question,I literally have no idea what's realistic or not here...

2) Even after trading down, I think I'd draft defense in the first (DT preferably), because I don't see us having the cap space to fill all our needs through FA.

Smith number is 17M, so we have 31M available. (Washington Redskins 2018 Salary Cap Table | Spotrac - overthecap says 48M without Smith contract so it matches)

It appears we're going to try to sign a WR, which I like, so that's at the very least 7M (apparently the number Richardson wants to get), that leaves us, at best, with 24M, enough to sign Brown and/or Breeland and/or Dontari Poe + a few cheaper signings/re-signings.
But not all three of them.

So, come draft day, we're left with at least one gaping hole in our defense.

I'd address that first, you can hope to get a good RB in the second round.
13 to 22 would be a 2nd I'd think.

For reference: NFL Draft Value Chart: WalterFootball.com

Edit: I see this has already been covered, but the draft chart is fun.

--On Wisconsin
simbosargos75 is offline   Reply With Quote