No indictment in the mike brown case

Debating with the enemy

Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 AM   #16
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: No indictment in the mike brown case

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailGreen28 View Post
How do you charge ANYONE based on what you said? (underlined for effect). Seriously? WTF?
State or federal government should bring in special presecutors. You need to bring in indepedent folks. The police captain should be fired or made to step down. its criminal he is still in charge, his house should be burned down first

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-25-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Yeah this is a good point, but I wasnt really going there with my statement.

Point was, there is a history within police force so i cant 100% trust the officer story. There is also accounts of officer wilson in the past of being shady. Also there is, I believe, account of the prosecuter being a "cop guy" where issues in the past have not been handled correctly.

I believe the best course of action now is to open those complaints from before and go after the officers in the force and see if we can get charges brought. Looks like the prosecutors dont have the balls to do whats right, which is no surprise.

Simply, saying oh well and moving right along is the wrong way. I would strongly urge the folks to burn the city to the ground if thats the attitude

SO you just going to ignore the facts in the case, which I conveniently posted above? I think I'm about as anti-police as you can get, but the idea of prosecuting a person wrongly is sickening.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #18
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
SO you just going to ignore the facts in the case, which I conveniently posted above? I think I'm about as anti-police as you can get, but the idea of prosecuting a person wrongly is sickening.
I can see how charges werent brought, but I really dont think there was ever a fair chance they would be brought. The cards were already stacked against the community because of the culture within the police department/presecutor's office.

Dont tell me justice was served this time, when it hasnt been in the past. But this time we got it right, so we are all good. Nope that doesnt work and its not right. So burn it down

He Gets Us
Old 11-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #19
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Another sign of a city/police department/prosecutor who has no clue is announcing the verdict of whether to indict...announcing it at night. Cant believe the city would further put its citizens lives in more danger. WTF?

He Gets Us
Old 11-25-2014, 10:05 AM   #20
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Again, the police force in Ferguson was not on trial, that's not how it works - guilt by association is not acceptable for anyone. Whether the suspect is a policeman or a minority, you look at the facts of the incident, and only those facts, when deciding to charge someone with a crime. We don't put people on trial and at risk of their liberty b/c of their reputation - or the reputation of those with whom they are associated. Rather, the American justice/judicial system is based on the principle that you can only be tried for the specific crime being alleged.

The prosecutor has a lot of control in the grand jury. He could have gamed the system and gotten an indictment by withholding some evidence or highlighting others. I don't know a whole lot about the practice but I believe prosecutors normally present minimal evidence - just enough to get an indictment. Here, the prosecutor presented a lot of evidence to the GJ both exculpatory and not so. You would have to talk to a criminal prosecutor to find out just how outside the norm such a procedure is, if at all.

At the same time, unlike in a trial, the jurors get to examine witnesses directly and can essentially say "Is that all you have?" Again, I believe the G. Jurors themselves can request subpoenas and more evidence. Ultimately, it is their call.

The issue of Ferguson's police force and racial profiling is a separate matter. There are mechanisms to appeal to State and Federal authorities for review. I believe that some of those actions are in progress. While police must have authority to enforce the law and society has to buy into that for them to be effective, abuse of authority should be severely punished and I don't trust police dept.'s to police their own.

[The reason the punishment must be severe is b/c of the social contract with law enforcement and is the converse of why those who attack law enforcement officers should also be severely punished: "We give you authority to use force against us so that we may have safety in our daily lives. Further, because you place yourself in harm's way for us, we have your back. Because an assault on an officer of the law is an assault on all of us, we will make sure that those who attack or attempt to harm you, as you protect us, are punished to a greater extent than if they attacked one of us directly. In return, you promise not to abuse either the authority given or the protection provided. If you do, we will hold you to the same harsh standards as we hold those who would attempt to undermine the rule of law by attacking you."]

Given the scenes of mob criminality last night, and the distrust of the police force, however, I am not sure how the rule of law will ever be reestablished in that town. It is a sad state when the citizenry can't/won't trust those entrusted to enforce the rule of law because those in authority have abused their authority. I suspect Ferguson is in for a long, dark night of repression and lawlessness (symbolically speaking that is).

One final thought - A recurrent theme is that a black officer shooting an unarmed white guy would be in jail pronto. You can believe what you wish, my belief differs. I suggest to you that, in this case - if Wilson were black and Brown were white, Ferguson's Thin Blue Line would have rallied around the officer just as they did here and the shooting would have made the local news - but not a blip anywhere else - and when the GJ inevitably chose not to indict the black officer not a single riot would have ensued.

In this case, Brown assaulted an officer, ignored his lawful commands, and charged at him. The mob saw one thing, the forensics evidenced another. The "no indictment" decision was right In this case, regardless of: (1) the race of the cop or the dead teen; (2) whether or not Wilson was a sketchy cop; or (3) whether or not the Ferguson PD was a sketchy unit.

Racial hatred/suspicion runs so deep in this country - especially amongst the lower social classes of both whites and blacks. Just don't know if it will ever get better.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

good post Joe

He Gets Us
Old 11-25-2014, 10:20 AM   #22
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Dont tell me justice was served this time, when it hasnt been in the past. But this time we got it right, so we are all good. Nope that doesnt work and its not right. So burn it down
(1) Justice was served in this case. If it has not been in the past, it does not make it right to indict a person for a crime regardless of their own guilt or innocence. Two wrongs do not make a right. Making someone a sacrificial lamb to suffer for the wrongs of others is a bad, bad road to tread and, in my opinion, patently unfair.

(2) We are not all good. Abuses of authority need to be fully investigated. If the Justice Dept. or the local State govt. hasn't done so already, a full investigation of the Ferguson PD and its pattern and practices should be initiated. Something is broken in the community when the police are so mistrusted that no matter what the evidence may or may not show, the police are assumed at all times to be acting in bad faith.

Anarchy - "burn it down" - however, is not the answer and not one that (at least I hope it wouldn't) will resonate with the vast majority of Americans.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:15 PM   #23
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
(1) Justice was served in this case. If it has not been in the past, it does not make it right to indict a person for a crime regardless of their own guilt or innocence. Two wrongs do not make a right. Making someone a sacrificial lamb to suffer for the wrongs of others is a bad, bad road to tread and, in my opinion, patently unfair.

(2) We are not all good. Abuses of authority need to be fully investigated. If the Justice Dept. or the local State govt. hasn't done so already, a full investigation of the Ferguson PD and its pattern and practices should be initiated. Something is broken in the community when the police are so mistrusted that no matter what the evidence may or may not show, the police are assumed at all times to be acting in bad faith.

Anarchy - "burn it down" - however, is not the answer and not one that (at least I hope it wouldn't) will resonate with the vast majority of Americans.
On no 1 we are going to have to disagree, point 2 i agree, and pt3 there comes a time where burn it down does reasonates especially with Redskins fans and the Redskins organization.

He Gets Us
Old 11-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #24
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

The US was founded on a point in time where burn it down (or pour tea in the sea) made sense, so there do come points in human history that it makes sense. Is this one of those points in time in US history? Certainly the 1960's were, maybe this is, and I tend to think we may not be that far off, but this rage in Ferguson seems misguided to me. There have been several threads of police abuse, and on most I side with the civilian group, even on Ferguson at first I sided against the police, but assuming that the facts presented by JR are reasonably accurate and representative of the case, then as Joe said, this isn't the case to start the fire with.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 01:04 PM   #25
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
The US was founded on a point in time where burn it down (or pour tea in the sea) made sense, so there do come points in human history that it makes sense. Is this one of those points in time in US history? Certainly the 1960's were, maybe this is, and I tend to think we may not be that far off, but this rage in Ferguson seems misguided to me. There have been several threads of police abuse, and on most I side with the civilian group, even on Ferguson at first I sided against the police, but assuming that the facts presented by JR are reasonably accurate and representative of the case, then as Joe said, this isn't the case to start the fire with.
Easy to say when you not living in a community where people fear the police and everyone is treated as a criminal. Lotta people dont know that feeling. I say what better time than now to burn down the police department and city hall. These people are recognized within the community only as criminals and that is not right. So you know, since we all criminals regardless burn baby burn

He Gets Us
Old 11-25-2014, 01:18 PM   #26
JoeRedskin

On No. 1 - Okay. We've reasonably disagreed before, that's fine. However, are you really saying that, even if the GJ thought Wilson innocent of any criminal behavior, it should have indicted him b/c, in the past, he or people with whom he associates may have done bad things?

Are you really espousing the doctrine that, to determine criminal conduct in a particular instance, we should be bringing in reputations and past associations? You don't see how that could be incredibly damaging to defendant rights? All of sudden, it's not "Did you commit a crime?" it's "Are you popular within the community?"

Or are you only applying that to cases you think it appropriate?

On No. 3 (and leaving the Redskins aside because I, for one, am tired of the burn it down mentality that comes every three years):

When burn it down resonates with a minority group to the degree that violence to person and property are condoned, it is going to face significant opposition from vast majority of those who see violence as a threat to their security.

Regardless of the injustice, whether imagined or real (and I would suggest there is plenty of both), I suggest to you society as a whole will simply not succumb to demands made by violence. Whether you believe it fair or unfair, the judicial system "works" for too many people by providing protection, relief and a peaceful forum for conflict resolution whether they be civil or criminal. In every locality across the US, the courts grind through the best they making literally 1000's of judgments great and small every day.

It's not perfect but, if you burn it down, you will find yourself with something worse - I guarantee it.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:57 PM   #27
JoeRedskin

Quote:
Easy to say when you not living in a community where people fear the police and everyone is treated as a criminal. Lotta people dont know that feeling. I say what better time than now to burn down the police department and city hall. These people are recognized within the community only as criminals and that is not right. So you know, since we all criminals regardless burn baby burn
True enough. Just b/c a statement is easier for some to say than others, however, doesn't invalidate the correctness of the underlying statement (nor, for that matter, does it validate an incorrect statement). As CRed said, this was not the case to start to the fire. If the minority community says, "Regardless of actual guilt or innocence, we will not listen to the evidence when you say one of us is a criminal and will resort to mob violence," it is simply ignoring the rule of law - the very same thing it is saying is wrong when applied to them.

It's just this simple, two wrongs don't make a right. Ever.

I am sure you see it differently, but all last night's reaction to the decision did for me was validate that this was a community with high levels of disregard for civil society - Burn it down? They were burning and looting stores and property that had nothing to do with City Hall or law enforcement. Clearly, there was a substantial element that obeys the law only b/c it is enforced by police officers and, when they aren't there to do so, mayhem. In such a community, law enforcement has only two choices aggressive policing or surrender. We saw, last night, what happens when law enforcement "surrendered." Any law-abiding citizen, of any race, itching to move to Ferguson any time soon?

You want to protest? Fine. Throw things at the police and destroy public property as a statement of civil disobedience - if you're willing to stand up and say "I did it and here's why." Okay. Simple mayhem and destruction b/c you feel like you're mistreated. Not so okay.

If you want fair treatment under the law, then you need to obey it, and challenge it when it is unfairly applied to you - our system has all sorts of mechanisms for lawfully doing so without violence. If you think the law unfair, then you need to change it (like they did in the 60's). However, if you don't like the law and so refuse to obey it or obey those who enforce it, all you do is become a criminal and so continue the cycle.

Last edited by JoeRedskin; 11-25-2014 at 02:17 PM.
JoeRedskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:42 PM   #28
over the mountain
Playmaker

1. every parent of a black male should talk with their son at a very early age about what to do if they are stopped by a police officer. talk to them about how officers have a heightened sense of "danger and fear for their life" when an officer is near a black male such as themselves. Tell them to not give an overly nervous officer any reason what-so-ever. And then tell them that despite all of this .. they could still be shot or killed because the officer "saw the perpetrator reach for his waist band" line.

2. I trust the system in this case. this is different from trayvon martin imo which was a serious miscarriage of justice.

3. Why was brown's body laying dead 100-150 yds away from the vehicle but the officer testified that brown was 20-30 yds away when he started to charge? Why would an unarmed brown "reach for his waistband" as he was charging the officer per officer's testimony? Why does it always seem officers need to fire 8-10 rounds instead of 2-3?

sad for everyone including the officer and his family who, im sure, had no wish or intent to take another person's life when he woke up that morning.

knowing first hand how bad and corrupt police can be around here, i cant imagine how bad they are in missourri if you are a black male.
over the mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:32 PM   #29
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Is Don Lemon still running around talking about the smell of weed in the air with his tear gas mask on?

Folks thats part of the problem right there

He Gets Us
Old 11-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #30
HailGreen28
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by over the mountain View Post
1. every parent of a black male should talk with their son at a very early age about what to do if they are stopped by a police officer. talk to them about how officers have a heightened sense of "danger and fear for their life" when an officer is near a black male such as themselves. Tell them to not give an overly nervous officer any reason what-so-ever. And then tell them that despite all of this .. they could still be shot or killed because the officer "saw the perpetrator reach for his waist band" line.

2. I trust the system in this case. this is different from trayvon martin imo which was a serious miscarriage of justice.

3. Why was brown's body laying dead 100-150 yds away from the vehicle but the officer testified that brown was 20-30 yds away when he started to charge? Why would an unarmed brown "reach for his waistband" as he was charging the officer per officer's testimony? Why does it always seem officers need to fire 8-10 rounds instead of 2-3?

sad for everyone including the officer and his family who, im sure, had no wish or intent to take another person's life when he woke up that morning.

knowing first hand how bad and corrupt police can be around here, i cant imagine how bad they are in missourri if you are a black male.
I don't doubt that being black in america is hard. But in this case, how hard is it to teach your kids "Don't get into fist fights with police?"
HailGreen28 is offline   Reply With Quote