Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2019, 09:17 AM   #61
FrenchSkin
Playmaker

Re: Dwayne Haskins preseason thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
100%.

The fact some people think he magically became a baller because he sat for a year is absurd.
You're understanding Alex Smith's mentorship game, aren't you ? *sarcasm*

Envoyé de mon SM-J320FN en utilisant Tapatalk

Advertisements
Old 08-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #62
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinsinator View Post
Draft pick status?!?! How does this remotely correlate to him earned the right to start his very first week? Give the guy the future the reps?!? Uh, did you watch the Cleveland game? Our oline has issues there. Williams isn't coming back. We have no real solution for lt and lg and you wanna put a rookie with a limited amount of college experience (yet alone no NFL experience) right into fire week1 at Philly? Got it.
Penn has been a starter in this league and a good one for a long time. Let him get his legs the rest of camp and he'll be serviceable. You can't wait for everything to be perfect for Haskins. He played big boy college ball and can handle a watered down playbook. Run the ball, max protect, chip the outside rushers, be creative w/ screens and maybe a few trick plays and let the kid go.

Some of you are obsessed it seems with Trent having to be in there. When was the last time he played 16 games? The Eagles won the SB w/out their stud left tackle. It's time to move on.

As far as the Eagles go F them. Their secondary can be had. Haskins has the big play potential and they have to respect his arm. No one respects Case and especially Colt's arm.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 10:09 AM   #63
Schneed10
A Dude

With the way the team is constructed - pound the rock and play good defense - I'm looking for a QB who can move the chains without making mistakes. Alex would have fit nicely but here we are. So I think it's got to be Keenum. I want Haskins to have his time to digest the playbook some more - get comfortable with making protection adjustments and pre snap reads.

If he shows improvement throughout the season during practice then I'm not against putting him in by any stretch, but I want to play the best guy and right now I think that's Keenum. He'll make a few plays outside the pocket, he knows how to read a defense, he'll put us in the best position to play field position battles and come away with points.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:11 AM   #64
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Heard this morning driving in, Colt has been borderline terrible at camp since this injury flared up.

WHY does jay continue to set the franchise back with Colt?????

PLAY CASE AND HASKINS EXCLUSIVELY
I feel bad for Colt. He's been a team player and a good guy for many years here. But IMO he is just like Reed, his body can't stand the rigors of playing pro football.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:23 AM   #65
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

I believe it was JP Finlay that said Colt has had 1 INT everyday of camp so far? If that is true, yikes
Old 08-12-2019, 10:25 AM   #66
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
With the way the team is constructed - pound the rock and play good defense - I'm looking for a QB who can move the chains without making mistakes. Alex would have fit nicely but here we are. So I think it's got to be Keenum. I want Haskins to have his time to digest the playbook some more - get comfortable with making protection adjustments and pre snap reads.

If he shows improvement throughout the season during practice then I'm not against putting him in by any stretch, but I want to play the best guy and right now I think that's Keenum. He'll make a few plays outside the pocket, he knows how to read a defense, he'll put us in the best position to play field position battles and come away with points.
To be honest, Dwayne doesn't look ready yet regardless. I agree that Case should start week 1, right now he gives us the best chance to win. If we had a team like the Cowboys had or Steelers had with Dak and Ben, sure start Dwayne but we don't.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:08 PM   #67
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

"It's just going to happen naturally, organically," the No. 15 overall pick in in this year's NFL draft said. "I had to come to terms with that. Now that I've been here for a little bit, it's like, man, it's a process. ... By no means am I settling. I know that I want to be great and I know I will be great. It's just that I have to be in a place where I know what I'm doing."
Old 08-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #68
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
With the way the team is constructed - pound the rock and play good defense - I'm looking for a QB who can move the chains without making mistakes. Alex would have fit nicely but here we are. So I think it's got to be Keenum.
You're describing the 2018 Denver Broncos. They arguably had a better defense and better skill position players on offense than what we have this year. They went 6-10. With Case Keenum, 6-10, MAYBE 7-9, that's our ceiling.

If we're at all trying to win this year, its not going to win with Case Keenum. And if we aren't trying to win this year and are focused on our future, then as long as the coaching staff thinks he can handle it, we need to put Haskins in there and let him learn. He's not going to get better sitting on the bench. He only played one year in college, so the more time he gets now, the more experience he'll have in a couple of years when we are in a position to really compete. Unless the team thinks Haskins is really far behind where he should be and nowhere near ready to start an NFL game, I want him under center week 1.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:15 PM   #69
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
You're describing the 2018 Denver Broncos. They arguably had a better defense and better skill position players on offense than what we have this year. They went 6-10. With Case Keenum, 6-10, MAYBE 7-9, that's our ceiling.

If we're at all trying to win this year, its not going to win with Case Keenum. And if we aren't trying to win this year and are focused on our future, then as long as the coaching staff thinks he can handle it, we need to put Haskins in there and let him learn. He's not going to get better sitting on the bench. He only played one year in college, so the more time he gets now, the more experience he'll have in a couple of years when we are in a position to really compete. Unless the team thinks Haskins is really far behind where he should be and nowhere near ready to start an NFL game, I want him under center week 1.
You're way, way off the mark in calling us the 2018 Denver Broncos. They were built around their WRs offensively - Emmanuel Sanders, Demaryius Thomas before he was shipped off, Courtland Sutton. They had shit at RB (Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman) and TE (Jeff Heuerman).

We're built around our backs in Peterson, Guice and Thompson, and our TEs Reed and Davis. We have nothing at WR.

Last year Denver ran the ball 393 times compared to 588 pass attempts, a 40/60 mix. Last year, with only Peterson healthy, we ran it 414 compared to 509 pass attempts, a 45/55 mix. We'll be even more balanced with a healthy line, including a run-blocking focused LT, and a three headed monster at RB.

They're completely fucking different. Sometimes you say shit in a lot of words but it's all completely wrong.
Old 08-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #70
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Quote:
You're way, way off the mark in calling us the 2018 Denver Broncos. They were built around their WRs offensively - Emmanuel Sanders, Demaryius Thomas before he was shipped off, Courtland Sutton. They had shit at RB (Phillip Lindsay and Royce Freeman) and TE (Jeff Heuerman).

We're built around our backs in Peterson, Guice and Thompson, and our TEs Reed and Davis. We have nothing at WR.

Last year Denver ran the ball 393 times compared to 588 pass attempts, a 40/60 mix. Last year, with only Peterson healthy, we ran it 414 compared to 509 pass attempts, a 45/55 mix. We'll be even more balanced with a healthy line, including a run-blocking focused LT, and a three headed monster at RB.

They're completely fucking different. Sometimes you say shit in a lot of words but it's all completely wrong.
In my opinion, you are either overestimating our players or underestimating Denvers. Guice may be great, but he hasn't been healthy to demonstrate it yet. But he'll be lucky if he ever has a season as good as Lindsey's last year. And I think Freeman is actually better than him.

And I don't understand how you can say my comparison is "Way off" when you then go onto contrast Denvers 40/60 run to pass ratio with our 45/55 ratio. That's only a 5% difference - You're proving my point. But i can't even take credit for it - the comment that made was basically recapping what Cooley said, and I think he knows more than both of us. He could be wrong, but i generally think he knows what he's talking about.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:41 PM   #71
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

A rushing ball control offense, strong defense and solid special teams can win in this league...look at both Rams and Pats march in the playoffs.

While I agree that is the best path for us, I still think we can be better passing the ball and I blame Jay a lot for the passing game failure with Alex Smith last season. Coaching needs to be better with scheme and execution regardless who is the QB. Mix the ratio up more 1st down, be less predictable in package sets, play action pass more, etc. While with have an unproven WR core, coaching can do more scheme wise to put our guys in winning situation.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 09:24 PM   #72
Warthog
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I’d rather go 6-10 with Haskins than 8-8 with Colt or Case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes! Case or Colt are NOT going to get us to the playoffs in the NFC East. Gruden is not going to get another year with Case or Colt but he may get an extension as a HC as Dwayne’s “teacher”.

Case or Colt are not going to get people to buy tickets. They will come to see the future.

I wish the Redskins would just call this a rebuilding season. Dump some of the overpriced FA and bring in the rookies and second year guys to see if they can rise up. Make commitments to premium Redskins like Scherff and re-sign him.

Get a real GM.

Ok, I got carried away on the last thing. This is the Redskins after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:18 AM   #73
WCommandersfan99
The Starter

Quote:

These are my thoughts exactly. Well said. It'd be different if Haskins looked like Dan Marino out there (Cleveland), but he didn't. He looked like a rookie who has some things to work on. Footwork, reading defenses etc. These will come though. The fundamentals have to be down before we put him out there. He is not in the Big X anymore.
WCommandersfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #74
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Skinsinator View Post
These are my thoughts exactly. Well said. It'd be different if Haskins looked like Dan Marino out there (Cleveland), but he didn't. He looked like a rookie who has some things to work on. Footwork, reading defenses etc. These will come though. The fundamentals have to be down before we put him out there. He is not in the Big X anymore.
He threw 14 passes. All the things you mention he will get better at by playing. Not by watching a journeymen who's been on 20 teams.

I hope Haskins goes out there on Thurs and just lights it up. That will make things interesting.
Old 08-13-2019, 12:16 PM   #75
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

The best player should play. The other 52 guys deserve nothing less than the best option.

There is no evidence that sitting for a year will ruin your career. I hope Haskins wins the job, but I don't want him starting if he doesn't.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote