Media Bias

Debating with the enemy

Old 08-05-2016, 04:47 PM   #31
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Media Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Exactly what I am saying. Again, amazing that after all the human race has accomplished that we cannot grasp this.
Think for yourself, question authority, but don't dare suggest that the media shows a bias in it's reporting of issues.

alles klar herr kommisar
CRedskinsRule is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 08-05-2016, 08:11 PM   #32
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Media Bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Think for yourself, question authority, but don't dare suggest that the media shows a bias in it's reporting of issues.

alles klar herr kommisar

Lol. Im not doubting it at all. Media outlets are still run by a human who has his or her own views/agenda.
But thats the point. Ultimately its one persons views. Not mine.
Edit: im in no way saying you are wrong. Didn't mean to come across that way. You are 100% right. Think for yourself and to hell with the media.
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #33
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Well - Chicago violence got on the front page of CNN:

Chicago police release video related to shooting of unarmed man - CNN.com
4 dead, 17 wounded in Chicago shootings - Chicago Tribune

17 wounded, 4 dead in shootings on Friday in Chicago. But you won't hear it about, no police involved, no protest marches.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:35 PM   #34
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Well.....if Trump Burped, You'll here about that........
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #35
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Search CNN - Videos, Pictures, and News - CNN.com

Search | MSNBC

Noticed today several media outlets reporting on what a flop the movie Ghostbusters is...to the tune of 70 million. ouch.

Ive noticed that CNN nor MSNBC isn't running the story anywhere...but if you click the link above you notice the over reporting and editorials about Ghostbusters as the movie was being promoted. Strange, all those stories about 1 movie. Many of these articles publishing opinions such as if you don't like the new ghostbusters movie, idea, etc then your a sexist. Because remember if you don't agree or even just 1 reservations...then your an asshole essentially. Your not allowed to disagree in this new world. It just striking, why in the fucking world would a supposed news org be so interested in such a dumb movie?

Lets admit...dumb idea, bad cast, bad acting and bad movie...right? And when the numbers back it up today...its not reported. Strange how the liberal media works.

When you search Suicide Squad for MSNBC...not one article...

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 08-10-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #36
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

the Tumblr account just-shower-thoughts is one of those throwaway one liner type accounts, but it does push out some unique thoughts from time to time. A few sample ones:

"American journalism has gotten to the point that readers are criticized for not fact checking news articles"

"Americans are worried about violence in Rio yet 19 people were shot in Chicago today and I see little coverage of it" (not sure of post date, but does it matter?)

"Every Olympic event should have one average person competing for reference"

"I live in a country that argues over whether a certain person should be the most powerful person in the country or be in prison"
Old 08-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #37
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
the Tumblr account just-shower-thoughts is one of those throwaway one liner type accounts, but it does push out some unique thoughts from time to time. A few sample ones:

"I live in a country that argues over whether a certain person should be the most powerful person in the country or be in prison"

No truer words have been spoken!
Old 08-11-2016, 01:11 AM   #38
FRPLG
MVP

It's all fine and dandy to say "people need to think for themselves" but the reality is that good journalism is a key component of a successful and enduring democracy. Once our society loses its only tool for keeping our elected officials and unelected bureaucrats in check then we've lost democracy. I think it's pretty ironic that in some ways, during this age of information overload, many people operate within our democracy with even less information than ever before. i suspect you'll find very few people who wouldn't agree that the state of journalism in our country is at an all time low.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:15 PM   #39
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRPLG View Post
It's all fine and dandy to say "people need to think for themselves" but the reality is that good journalism is a key component of a successful and enduring democracy. Once our society loses its only tool for keeping our elected officials and unelected bureaucrats in check then we've lost democracy. I think it's pretty ironic that in some ways, during this age of information overload, many people operate within our democracy with even less information than ever before. i suspect you'll find very few people who wouldn't agree that the state of journalism in our country is at an all time low.
One guy at my work, not a sharp cookie to start with, was going on and on about Trump's wall. No big deal right, I mean everyone agrees that the basic concept is not really going to happen. BUT, then he says something to the effect of "Yeah, he wants to be a dictator like Hitler" and I asked what that had to do with the wall. "Well Hitler built his wall in Germany"

We are doomed...
Old 08-16-2016, 07:22 PM   #40
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

CNN edits out Milwaukee victim's sister Sherelle Smith calling for violence in 'the suburbs' - Washington Times
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #41
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Good catch.

First, it doesn't bother me she is saying it becuase she is hurting. She lost a brother which is tragic. At the same time I would ask her and her family, what did you do to stop your brother/son from leading a life of crime?

This guy was a flat-out dangerous piece of crap and was armed to the teeth at the time of getting killed. He made extremely poor choices which lead to his death.

His wrap sheet is quite extensive: Man killed by Milwaukee police had lengthy record

"
Smith had been in trouble with the law dating back at least to 2011, according to arrest records released by the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office late Sunday. He was arrested or ticketed nine times in that period — for the shooting, a robbery, carrying a concealed weapon, theft, possession of heroin and more. His most recent arrest was July 22 for possession of cocaine, records show.

Last year, Smith was charged with first-degree recklessly endangering safety and with witness intimidation, but the charges were dismissed, court records show."

This guy isn't the flag bearer of any movement.

He Gets Us
Old 10-12-2016, 09:18 AM   #42
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

New York Times Gave Hillary Veto Power | LifeZette

clear as day, Clinton campaign allowed to pic and chose content of the media:

The email exchange also indicates that Palmieri misunderstood the terms of the agreement. She wrote that she thought the campaign would be able to pick the quotes that would be used. Leibovich responded, "I wanted the option to use all — and you could veto what you didn't want. That's why I selected the 5 or 6 I sent to you...The moose is good, but I'd really love to use the other things I sent, too. They were all on point. Sorry for mis-communique here, but do you think you can check?"

Palmieri seemed satisfied.

"Pleasure doing business!" she wrote

sad...zero ethics and completely biased. Now ny times is suppose to be a leader in journalism...how is this appropriate? Inexcusable

He Gets Us
Old 10-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #43
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
New York Times Gave Hillary Veto Power | LifeZette

clear as day, Clinton campaign allowed to pic and chose content of the media:

The email exchange also indicates that Palmieri misunderstood the terms of the agreement. She wrote that she thought the campaign would be able to pick the quotes that would be used. Leibovich responded, "I wanted the option to use all — and you could veto what you didn't want. That's why I selected the 5 or 6 I sent to you...The moose is good, but I'd really love to use the other things I sent, too. They were all on point. Sorry for mis-communique here, but do you think you can check?"

Palmieri seemed satisfied.

"Pleasure doing business!" she wrote

sad...zero ethics and completely biased. Now ny times is suppose to be a leader in journalism...how is this appropriate? Inexcusable

So do you think Trump still believes any press is good press,or just when he wants it?
Old 10-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #44
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cnn-cuts-...183855590.html

CNN quietly cut ties with Donna Brazile, the acting Democratic National Committee chair and a longtime contributor on the cable news network, after hacked emails published by WikiLeaks revealed that she had provided questions to the Hillary Clinton campaign in advance of a town hall and debate hosted by CNN during the Democratic primary.

Unbelievable folks. People should be upset

He Gets Us
Old 03-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #45
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I know it's hard to separate the political out of the media bias question, but I am hoping anyone who replies to this will try to. (I'm also hoping SM will stop drinking, and DS will become the best owner ever)

Take this headline displayed on yahoo, and from abcnews top stories:
Quote:
Jeff Sessions: Guantanamo Bay is 'a very fine place'
This opening Paragraph:
Quote:
Attorney General Jeff Sessions says he has no qualms sending newly-captured terror suspects to the Guantanamo Bay detention center, describing it as a "very fine place."
And his actual reply to a question about whether or not he would be in favor of shutting down the facility a few paragraphs later:
Quote:
"Well, I have not favored that," Sessions said. "I've been there a number of times as a Senator, and it's just a very fine place for holding these kind of dangerous criminals. We've spent a lot of money fixing it up. And I'm inclined to the view that it remains a perfectly acceptable place. And I think the fact that a lot of the criticisms have just been totally exaggerated."

My question is - do you think the headline gives an accurate summary of his statement?

Everyone knows I feel there is a distinct bias, and I believe that this type of, imo, blatant emotion molding headline plays a big part of that.

Just a discussion for a cold dreary dismal day and the day after a dismal opening to FA