Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #31
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Laron Landry = Lavar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny9TD View Post
"There goes the neighborhood". Funny.

You must like Laron's big muscles. Or is it the way he flies thru the air with a swing and a miss? But big muscles are impressive to some. Reed can tackle better than Laron. Laron should be more solid. He has the tools. But he hasn't proved it. He sure talks a good game after the other team gets a first down and we are behind big time and he happens to be in on the tackle. There is a reason Reed is on the team playing. He has heart and doesn't talk stupid chit at the wrong time. See link below for Laron's solid play.

Washington Redskins' LaRon Landry Needs to Learn How to Tackle | Bleacher Report
Honestly, there is some truth to this. If you look at the way Reed tackles it's actually picture perfect.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #32
Sonny9TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Holy Crap! You're serious. I thought you were joking with the Reed Doughty sh**. LOLOLOL

Reed Doughty is a great guy and certainly gives it his all. I love the guy. Unfortunately, his "all" is about 75% of LL's "Just barely trying". RD is simply LL with out LL's speed. RD has zero ball skills, his anticipation is about the same as LL and he simply doesn't have the speed to make up ground like LL does.

He may have better technique at times but, if you are suggesting that RD should start ahead of LL - well, that's just crazy talk. LL has his faults, but LL and his warts are better than RD at the top of his game. RD, great guy that he is, is a back up on this or any other team.
You say that because LL is faster? He is faster I'll give you that.
Sonny9TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #33
Sonny9TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Honestly, there is some truth to this. If you look at the way Reed tackles it's actually picture perfect.
Thanks for being bold enough to say so. I respect that.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:18 PM   #34
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

I do not think Landry and Arrington are similar at all.

Both are excellent natural athletes and both play defense. I think the similarity ends there.

Arrington was a guy who could play the defense called - - but often would not play the defense called. He chose to "free-lance" and that sometimes got him in the wrong place giving up a big play. The coaches - - most specifically Gregg Williams - - disliked that refusal on Arrington's part to be part of a team defense and that caused the rift that sent Arrington out of town.

Landry is different. Landry does not "free-lance". Landry simply has only one tool in his tool box. Remember the old saying:
When holding a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.
Landry can only deliver a huge bone-rattling hit to an offensive player - - if in fact he can get to that player before the whistle or before that player crosses the goal line with the ball in hand. He cannot cover any NFL caliber WR or TE; it is not that he chooses to do something else; he cannot do that. We have seen his inability to do that on the field for almost five years and it is not getting any better.

Landry ought not be compared to Arrington. And most certainly, his name should never be in the same discussion with Troy Polamalu's. Polamalu can deliver big hits but Polamalu can also cover, defend passes and intercept passes.

Landry is going to expect a payday at the end of this season that is commensurate with what the Redskins pay for players who are recognized in the NFL. Translation:
He is gonna want guaranteed money and not just a little of it.
The personnel decision(s) surrounding the retention or the jettisoning of Laron Landry in the next offseason by Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan will be very important in terms of the things they need to do to revamp the team for next year and the year after that.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #35
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Funny how losing makes some folks hate players smh.. I don't like how he talks trash but he's a top 10 safety in the NFL that would start on any team in the league
Old 11-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #36
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Having not studied their form, I will concede - for arguments sake - that Reed is the better tackler. A poor tackler with poor coverage skills but with speed can at least get to receiver to have a shot at recovering from his mistake. A good tackler with poor coverage skills who is also slow has no chance to recover from his mistakes. Make no mistake about it. It's not just that LL is faster, it's that RD is just plain slow.

At this level, speed makes a huge difference and covers for lots of other defiencies. LL has it, RD doesn't.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #37
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post

Both are excellent natural athletes and both play defense. I think the similarity ends there.

Arrington was a guy who could play the defense called - - but often would not play the defense called. He chose to "free-lance" and that sometimes got him in the wrong place giving up a big play. The coaches - - most specifically Gregg Williams - - disliked that refusal on Arrington's part to be part of a team defense and that caused the rift that sent Arrington out of town.

Landry is different. Landry does not "free-lance". Landry simply has only one tool in his tool box. Remember the old saying:
Landry can only deliver a huge bone-rattling hit to an offensive player - - if in fact he can get to that player before the whistle or before that player crosses the goal line with the ball in hand. He cannot cover any NFL caliber WR or TE; it is not that he chooses to do something else; he cannot do that. We have seen his inability to do that on the field for almost five years and it is not getting any better.

Landry ought not be compared to Arrington. And most certainly, his name should never be in the same discussion with Troy Polamalu's. Polamalu can deliver big hits but Polamalu can also cover, defend passes and intercept passes.

Landry is going to expect a payday at the end of this season that is commensurate with what the Redskins pay for players who are recognized in the NFL. Translation:
The personnel decision(s) surrounding the retention or the jettisoning of Laron Landry in the next offseason by Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan will be very important in terms of the things they need to do to revamp the team for next year and the year after that.
Yup. Well said.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #38
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Funny how losing makes some folks hate players smh.. I don't like how he talks trash but he's a top 10 safety in the NFL that would start on any team in the league
If you're talking about the original post of this thread, I'm not sure "hate" is appropriate
Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #39
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:

Your assumption is that LL is not "free-lancing." I don't know whether he is or not, but in creating the thread I was at least posing that question, so thanks for a thoughtful reply.

It may be a fine line between "free-lancing" and simply consistently misreading plays. Lavar would bite hard on every play fake it seemed, was that free lancing or simply a consistent failure to see the ball & read the play? That may be what Fletch was upset about.

Another similarity; Lavar couldn't shed blocks. LL takes on blockers like they have the ball sometimes, puts his body into them w/a hit, basically takes himself out of the play.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #40
Sonny9TD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRedskin View Post
Having not studied their form, I will concede - for arguments sake - that Reed is the better tackler. A poor tackler with poor coverage skills but with speed can at least get to receiver to have a shot at recovering from his mistake. A good tackler with poor coverage skills who is also slow has no chance to recover from his mistakes. Make no mistake about it. It's not just that LL is faster, it's that RD is just plain slow.

At this level, speed makes a huge difference and covers for lots of other defiencies. LL has it, RD doesn't.
While there is still value he should be traded for OL or QB before everyone knows he is inconsistent at best. It would be nice if he would play to his potential but I don't see it happening if it hasn't happened yet. But maybe he can. Maybe. It would be nice if he learned to tackle and make some plays. My opinion. It would be nice to be wrong because he can change a game with his talent. It just ain't happening.

Last edited by Sonny9TD; 11-02-2011 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:36 PM   #41
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Sorry to be Mr. Spock here but the only way he would "start on any team in the league" would be if he were THE BEST free safety in the league or THE BEST tight safety in the league.

Laron Landry is neither...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #42
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Landry has not met his ceiling and certainly a large part of that is his own fault. He needs to do a lot of work to be more disciplined, take better angles, and be better in coverage. He has the physical tools but he needs to start using them better.

That said, it is easy to find safeties who are worse than LL but hard to find safeties who are better than LL. Until we have something better, we need to hang onto him.

And for those arguing that Doughty is better than LL - please pass what you are smoking! Don't bogart that kind bud!
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #43
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Sorry to be Mr. Spock here but the only way he would "start on any team in the league" would be if he were THE BEST free safety in the league or THE BEST tight safety in the league.

tight safety? This is a new position?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:40 PM   #44
Sonny9TD

Quote:

I had to read that twice before I caught the logic. Very vulcan indeed. No one can say you are out of your vulcan mind. The logic is tight and right.

Last edited by Sonny9TD; 11-02-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #45
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
tight safety? This is a new position?
It's what you use to keep your panty hose from falling down.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote