Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Off-Topic Discussion > Debating with the enemy

Coronavirus (political)

Debating with the enemy

Old 07-07-2020, 08:09 PM   #556
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Coronavirus (political)

Kids need to get back in school this fall...no excuses. Data doesn’t support its more dangerous than flu for kids. Back in the school this fall period

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #557
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Kids need to get back in school this fall...no excuses. Data doesn’t support its more dangerous than flu for kids. Back in the school this fall period
I realize you're not use to thinking but what about the danger to the teachers? I mean you seem not to give a rats ass about the health of kids but what about the teachers health?
Old 07-08-2020, 05:41 AM   #558
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
I realize you're not use to thinking but what about the danger to the teachers? I mean you seem not to give a rats ass about the health of kids but what about the teachers health?
Give 'em some combat boots and throw 'em in there. They know what they signed up for.
Old 07-08-2020, 07:53 AM   #559
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Good question G1 as I specifically said eff the teachers health and I hate teachers in general

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...pite-outbreaks

What we know for sure...thankfully the Rona doesn’t impact kids like it does adults. Asymptotic spread is still being studied but there is evidence it doesn’t pass as between children like other things.

Look to Europe...they have reopened along with some Asian countries and have been successful.

He Gets Us
Old 07-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #560
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Give 'em some combat boots and throw 'em in there. They know what they signed up for.
LOL. I know ,right? I swear he gets more like trump every day.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:36 AM   #561
MTK
\m/

Has any recent push to re-open gone smoothly? The virus is spiking in areas that re-opened too soon or never shut down completely. And many states are back pedaling now. Last thing we need is a disaster in the schools.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #562
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Like everything, decisions must be data driven...if there is evidence schools can safely open they def should. Flu is more dangerous to children than the Rona and that’s great news. Europe hasn’t shown issues where schools have been back since Spring.

He Gets Us
Old 07-08-2020, 10:01 AM   #563
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Like everything, decisions must be data driven...if there is evidence schools can safely open they def should. Flu is more dangerous to children than the Rona and that’s great news. Europe hasn’t shown issues where schools have been back since Spring.
If Fauci and other experts think it's ok, fine. But if it's Trump leading the push and science isn't on board, fuck no. And again the main concern here is with the teachers and staff, and what about kids bringing it home to parents or grandparents? It's not that easy to just say kids won't get sick so let's roll.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #564
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Has any recent push to re-open gone smoothly? The virus is spiking in areas that re-opened too soon or never shut down completely. And many states are back pedaling now. Last thing we need is a disaster in the schools.
Id say Maryland is going pretty well.

Weve been opening up some things. I went to the Sandy Point with my kid to play in the sand and swim in the Bay, place was packed.

Malls have opened but no food court.

Playgrounds have reopened and the yellow tape removed.
-----------------------------------------------------------
More than 724,000 COVID-19 Tests, 4.51% Positivity Rate. Maryland has now conducted 724,463 COVID-19 tests, including 10,937 tests over the last 24 hours. The state’s seven-day average positivity rate has dropped to 4.51%—down more than 83% from its peak level on April 17—and the daily positivity rate is 3.36%.

Baltimore County Hits 10% Testing Goal. Baltimore County became the 11th jurisdiction to meet the statewide goal of testing 10% of the population in all 24 jurisdictions. Here is how the state’s most populous jurisdictions rank:

Baltimore City: 11.6% of population tested
Prince George’s: 10.2%
Baltimore Co.: 10.0%
Montgomery: 9.6%
Howard: 9.2%
Anne Arundel: 7.9%
--------------------

Weve sent "ambassadors" around to all the shops and restaurants to educate them on Phase 2 opening. Health inspectors have been doing a lot of visits and closing places down in employees arent wearing masks or not enforcing social distancing.

----------------------------------

Over the past few weeks, County business ambassadors visited business to share information on what they need to do to comply with the restrictions for reopening.

The County received a complaint on June 29 about employees not wearing masks at the Grille at Flower Hill in Gaithersburg; and a health inspector from the Department of Health and Human Services visited the restaurant on Thursday, July 2. Normal operating hours for the business are Thursday through Sunday. After receiving a verbal reminder about mask requirements, the County again received complaints over the weekend. As the restaurant does not reopen until Thursday, a visit by an inspector will not take place until then.

“As we receive complaints about businesses such as the Grille at Flower Hill in Gaithersburg for not following requirements for the wearing of face masks and keeping customers physically distanced, we will fully investigate each complaint,” said County Health Officer Dr. Travis Gayles. “If we find that a business has been educated and continues to willfully ignore the requirements to safely reopen, we will use our legal authority to prohibit their operations until they comply.”

--------------------------------------

Maryland, for the most part, doesnt have a big anti-mask its all a hoax crowd and we took it pretty seriously early on.

Not ironically, the guy leading the "reopen maryland" thing .. got covid.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:15 AM   #565
SunnySide
Playmaker

The study found a link between working memory and social distancing, and subjects -- noting more benefits than costs -- with higher levels of fluid intelligence, fairness and agreeableness followed the new rules of social distancing compliance, the study found.

“The decision of whether or not to follow social distancing guidelines is a difficult one, especially when there is a conflict between the societal benefits (e.g., prevent straining public health resources) and personal costs (e.g., loss in social connection and financial challenges). This decision critically relies on our mental capacity in retaining multiple pieces of potentially conflicting information in our head, which is referred to as working memory capacity,” study author Weizhen Xie (Zane) told PsyPost.

“As a researcher in cognitive psychology, I feel that it is our duty to figure out why some people follow the developing norm of social distancing while others ignore it. Addressing this issue may help mitigate the current public health crisis due to the COVID-19,” Xie, a postdoctoral research fellow at the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, added.

Xie said: “Realizing this cognitive bottleneck, the bottom line is that we should not rely on people’s habitual following of a norm because social distancing is not yet adequately established in U.S. society. Policymakers should develop strategies to aid people’s decision by making information or debriefing materials succinct, concise and brief.”

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...working-memory

----------------

Study says 2 things:

1. More intelligent people were able to comply with the mask/social distancing rules because they are able to consider and weigh multiple pieces of (sometimes conflicting) information.

Less intelligent people can only process a single thought, like "liberal media = evil" or "lock her up"

2. Trump could have saved a lot of the less intelligent people of our country if he came out and said "covid = bad, mask = good".

Bumper sticker approach to public speaking. K.I.S.S. and repeat it early and often.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:25 AM   #566
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
If Fauci and other experts think it's ok, fine. But if it's Trump leading the push and science isn't on board, fuck no. And again the main concern here is with the teachers and staff, and what about kids bringing it home to parents or grandparents? It's not that easy to just say kids won't get sick so let's roll.
Wife and two out of three daughters are Teachers , how will you tell the difference between the corona virus and the other 400(close to it) different virus's kids bring to school at the start of every year? Thing is the Teachers and faculty can handle the kids it's the parents that will be the problem.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #567
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
The study found a link between working memory and social distancing, and subjects -- noting more benefits than costs -- with higher levels of fluid intelligence, fairness and agreeableness followed the new rules of social distancing compliance, the study found.

“The decision of whether or not to follow social distancing guidelines is a difficult one, especially when there is a conflict between the societal benefits (e.g., prevent straining public health resources) and personal costs (e.g., loss in social connection and financial challenges). This decision critically relies on our mental capacity in retaining multiple pieces of potentially conflicting information in our head, which is referred to as working memory capacity,” study author Weizhen Xie (Zane) told PsyPost.

“As a researcher in cognitive psychology, I feel that it is our duty to figure out why some people follow the developing norm of social distancing while others ignore it. Addressing this issue may help mitigate the current public health crisis due to the COVID-19,” Xie, a postdoctoral research fellow at the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke, added.

Xie said: “Realizing this cognitive bottleneck, the bottom line is that we should not rely on people’s habitual following of a norm because social distancing is not yet adequately established in U.S. society. Policymakers should develop strategies to aid people’s decision by making information or debriefing materials succinct, concise and brief.”

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coron...working-memory

----------------

Study says 2 things:

1. More intelligent people were able to comply with the mask/social distancing rules because they are able to consider and weigh multiple pieces of (sometimes conflicting) information.

Less intelligent people can only process a single thought, like "liberal media = evil" or "lock her up"

2. Trump could have saved a lot of the less intelligent people of our country if he came out and said "covid = bad, mask = good".

Bumper sticker approach to public speaking. K.I.S.S. and repeat it early and often.

Last edited by mooby; 07-13-2020 at 06:44 PM.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 08:00 AM   #568
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Wife and two out of three daughters are Teachers , how will you tell the difference between the corona virus and the other 400(close to it) different virus's kids bring to school at the start of every year? Thing is the Teachers and faculty can handle the kids it's the parents that will be the problem.
Schools can barely handle lice let alone coronavirus
Old 07-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #569
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

We don't know the long term health effects of this virus to say it doesn't impact children with any certainty cannot be said at this point. There is zero way to know the mid to long term health effects at this point.

Second there is just too many students with conditions not diagnosed asthma, diabetes that put them in the high risk category. Anecdotally I teach HS science courses and even there I am finding students that I need to report for SST for health reasons that have not been diagnosed.

While Europe has opened I would hardly use them as a perfect model for the U.S. They tend have much greater country wide policy instead of relying on the whims of regional leaders. We know there is a portion of the U.S. that looks at government trying to protect the population = bad.

My personal feelings are I would love to get back to work in the building. I didn't choose this profession to work with younger generations on a screen.
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #570
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post

My personal feelings are I would love to get back to work in the building. I didn't choose this profession to work with younger generations on a screen.
My group said the same thing. They all teach little ones K and 1st and all have said the best thing about teaching is the kids they were / are the fun part of teaching.