Om Field: Redskins vs Cowboys II - WWJD

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-13-2008, 11:17 AM   #1
-Om-
Special Teams

Om Field: Redskins vs Cowboys II - WWJD

Redskins vs Cowboys II - WWJD
Nov. 13, 2008

The old NFL saw that says every NFL game counts the same in the standings is true, but it’s also true that not every game counts the same in determining the arc of a season.

One could make the case, for instance, that the only measurable impact of the Washington Redskins game against the Dallas Cowboys Sunday night will be determining whether they head into the 2008 season's stretch run at 6-4 or 7-3. But that would be tunnel vision.

The Redskins aren’t going to play just another game this weekend. They aren’t going to play just another division game. They’re not even going to play just another division game against their fiercest rival. Way I see it, they’re going to play the 2008 season’s defining game.

Overstating the case? You decide.

The Redskins recovered quickly from their season-opening clunker against the NY Giants, sprinting to a 4-1 start. They earned solid consecutive road wins over two favored division opponents along the wa, and in doing so, reset the expectations bar for head coach Jim Zorn’s debut season.

Back in August, the idea of a start like that would have slapped a goofy grin on even the dourest Redskins fan's mug. After Washington dispatched Philadelphia on the road to go 4-1, with three “beatable opponents” in a row upcoming on their schedule, any lid there might have been on 2008 expectations blew off.

With the winless St. Louis Rams coming to town, all was right in the Redskins universe, and while fans didn’t do it openly (much), I suspect more than a few found themselves entertaining January dreams.

However ...

CLICK HERE to read more
-Om- is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 11-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #2
redsk1
The Starter

Re: Om Field: Redskins vs Cowboys II - WWJD

Damn fine article. I think this game is big for the maturation of JC.
redsk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:44 AM   #3
redskinjim
Special Teams

if we cant beat the cowboys at home this weekend we cant beat the giants carolina in the playoffs.We need to open that can of woopass on tony romo like we did in that last game last year.Not just win but dominate as well
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
johnerotten

WWJD?i think jesus would do everything he could to put the cowboys down and out if he were a redskins fan which i'm certain he is!
johnerotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:19 PM   #5
-Om-
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinjim View Post
if we cant beat the cowboys at home this weekend we cant beat the giants carolina in the playoffs. We need to open that can of woopass on tony romo like we did in that last game last year. Not just win but dominate as well

I agree with the sentiment if not the specifics. I don’t think the Skins need to “dominate” Dallas to right their ship and set them up for a solid stretch run, just win while getting their offense untracked enough (at least 2 TD’s), particularly in the passing game, to send the message to upcoming opponents that it’s not enough to stop the run any more.

That said, I wouldn’t object to our laying a barrel of semi-criminal nasty whoopass on those bastiges one bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnerotten View Post
WWJD?i think jesus would do everything he could to put the cowboys down and out if he were a redskins fan which i'm certain he is!

I hope Jesus has better things to do that bend back Romo’s finger.

And anyway, just in case … that’s not where I was going with that.

Quote:
[Campbell] has a chance Sunday night to show [Pittsburgh] was an anomaly. Because like he was against Pittsburgh, Jason Campbell is again the Redskins key to winning.

Particularly so given that Clinton Portis, if he plays at all, will be at less than full speed.

Particularly so because the same seeds of doubt about how good this 2008 really is that many fans are feeling right now are probably finding purchase in the locker room as well.

This is what big time quarterbacks do—they’re at the best in the biggest games, when their team needs them most.

So what will Jason do? The answer to that question will determine what we're talking about Monday morning.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
redskinjim
Special Teams

we will see how we bounce back after that loss to pittsburg the cowpukes are coming off a bye week also. we should win at home if we dont turn the ball over and get some pressure on romo.we win this game
redskinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
johnerotten

skins just did'nt lose to the steelers,they got embrassed on national tv.
i really hope they come out nice and pissed against the cowpukes!
johnerotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Great piece, Om. Thanks for posting!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
htownskinfan
JUST LIVIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Om- View Post
Redskins vs Cowboys II - WWJD
Nov. 13, 2008
Maybe Zorn has seen something different on film, but from where I sit, it’s a no-brainer how the Redskins should approach Sunday night offensively. Forget “balance” early—I’d come out firing.

I’d put Campbell in the shotgun right from the start, with an unequivocal green light to attack downfield.

I’d make damn sure Dallas is aware of Santana Moss.

I’d target Chris Cooley early.

I’d even send the rookies, Devin Thomas and the Malcolm “Rumor” Kelly, up the sidelines deep a couple of times. I don’t even really care if they’re open. If they get single coverage, throw it up and let them try to make a play. If not, throw it five yards over their heads. I’d just like to see, and more importantly have the opposition see, that the Redskins are willing to test them.

I don’t expect Dallas to come out playing the Redskins honest Sunday night. I expect them to drop one or both safeties, crowd the line of scrimmage with everyone else and (can’t believe we’re here again) force Washington to show they can stretch the field vertically. Or are at least willing to try.

If the redskins can’t, or won’t, and instead continue to compress their offense into a 15-yard window beyond the line of scrimmage, I fully expect to see more and more blitzes coming after Campbell as the game progresses, looking to force him into the same kind of mistakes he made against the Steelers

CLICK HERE to read more
thats a great idea,but theres no f-ing way zorn does that,but according to espn thats dallas's gameplan.I'm hoping I'm wrong,but i dont see zorn changing his gameplan,I just hope he gets his shit together 4 this game,2 primetime games and 2 flops and zorn looked terrible in both,please dont make it 3 for 3
Old 11-16-2008, 01:27 AM   #10
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I think some people, including OM, are overreacting to the national tv thing.

The Giants game was the first for Zorn as a coach, the first for the team in a new system, and was the first game played by the defending champs in their house.

In the Steelers game the Skins were just pooped after a long run. Coaches even talked about how pooped everyone was before the Lions game, much less for the Pittsburgh game. The Skins needed their late bye badly.

Therefore, as regrettable as it is to play poorly on national tv, I don't think either loss had to do with the big stage. I think it was just coincidence. Obviously, the Cowboys game will test my theory.

BTW Om I don't see Zorn sending Kelly deep since it appears that Kelly will not even be on the active roster.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:28 AM   #11
GusFrerotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Om- View Post
I agree with the sentiment if not the specifics. I don’t think the Skins need to “dominate” Dallas to right their ship and set them up for a solid stretch run, just win while getting their offense untracked enough (at least 2 TD’s), particularly in the passing game, to send the message to upcoming opponents that it’s not enough to stop the run any more.

That said, I wouldn’t object to our laying a barrel of semi-criminal nasty whoopass on those bastiges one bit.

I hope Jesus has better things to do that bend back Romo’s finger.

And anyway, just in case … that’s not where I was going with that.

[color=black][font=Georgia]

The key is not JC, but JC's WR corp with a hampered Moss. He won't be 100% so the other guys better step it up for sure. Cooley is always a gamer, but Randle El in my mind still has to pick up some of the slack. And as for Thrash, we really need to consider ditching him. I know he has been a solid ST guy for us, but we really need a solid #3 WR that can produce. Thrash's best days are long behind him.
GusFrerotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #12
doughtydoubter
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
The key is not JC, but JC's WR corp with a hampered Moss. He won't be 100% so the other guys better step it up for sure. Cooley is always a gamer, but Randle El in my mind still has to pick up some of the slack. And as for Thrash, we really need to consider ditching him. I know he has been a solid ST guy for us, but we really need a solid #3 WR that can produce. Thrash's best days are long behind him.
disagree, the key is most certaintly jc...especially with a hurt portis, banged up ladell. I am not saying the wr's are without fault...but this game will truely be in the hands of jason to make or break us
doughtydoubter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #13
-Om-
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I think some people, including OM, are overreacting to the national tv thing.

The Giants game was the first for Zorn as a coach, the first for the team in a new system, and was the first game played by the defending champs in their house.

In the Steelers game the Skins were just pooped after a long run. Coaches even talked about how pooped everyone was before the Lions game, much less for the Pittsburgh game. The Skins needed their late bye badly.

Therefore, as regrettable as it is to play poorly on national tv, I don't think either loss had to do with the big stage. I think it was just coincidence. Obviously, the Cowboys game will test my theory.

BTW Om I don't see Zorn sending Kelly deep since it appears that Kelly will not even be on the active roster.
That's pretty fair, Lotus. The Giants game was about playing a defending champion on the road in a coach's rookie debut. It just happened to be on national TV.

The Steelers game, though, I do think caught the Skins a bit deer-in-the-headlights. No doubt they were tired, but the defense certainly didn't show it. And the offense, at least to me, looked like it was less about being tired than 1) being totally outschemed, and 2) Campbell being tight and missing too many reads and too many throws to beat perhaps the best D in the league. Not sure how much of that can be faily attributed to being physically tired. Maybe some, but not much.

That's all irrelevant now though. Tonight there are no excuses. The team is rested, playing at home and going against a team who's ass they kicked a month ago at their place. Time to see what we're made of.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #14
-Om-
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusFrerotte View Post
Respectfully disagree.

Great QB's make do with what they have. Brady was winning SB's long before Randy Moss came along. Favre won his with ... who? McNabb, while right on the "great" border, has kept Philly in contention for a decade and with the exception of one year with TO, has yet to have a guy who will be remembered in 10 years by anyone outside of Philly.

Jason needs to raise his game tonight if the Redskins are going to win.