Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Jack Del Rio Thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-31-2019, 11:37 AM   #1
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Jack Del Rio Thread

In 2002, Jack Del Rio took over the league’s worst defense in Carolina and turned it into the NFL’s second-ranked unit; in 2012 he took Broncos from 20th-ranked defense to second.” - Adam Schefter

As a defensive coordinator, Jack Del Rios’ defenses finished : 2nd,2nd,3rd and 19th.

Advertisements
Old 12-31-2019, 11:42 AM   #2
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Jack Del Rio Thread

Brought over from the other thread. Jack Del Rio resume:

- in 2002, joins Carolina Panthers as defensive coordinator, defense finishes ranked 2nd in yards allowed, compared to 31st in the year before. (overlaps with current Panthers GM Marty Hurney that year, who took over as GM of the Panthers in 2002 as his first GM job)

- in 2003 becomes the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Defense finishes 6th in yards allowed, compared to 20th in the year before.

- in 2012 becomes the defensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos, they finish 2nd in yards allowed, compared to 20th the year before.

There were of course other stops in there. But like Rivera, a clear track record of immediate defensive improvement in the first year.

Worth noting of course that in 2015 Wade Phillips replaced him as defensive coordinator and put together an all time defense. A lot of Broncos fans would say Del Rio's defenses were not aggressive enough - too bland - rushing 4 and not blitzing enough.

If Chase Young is a part of the front 4, I don't think we'll have to blitz much. Regardless, this is leaps and bounds beyond Greg Manusky. HTTR
Old 12-31-2019, 11:44 AM   #3
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post

- in 2002, joins Carolina Panthers as defensive coordinator, defense finishes ranked 2nd in yards allowed, compared to 31st in the year before. (overlaps with current Panthers GM Marty Hurney that year, who took over as GM of the Panthers in 2002 as his first GM job)

- in 2003 becomes the head coach of the Jacksonville Jaguars. Defense finishes 6th in yards allowed, compared to 20th in the year before.

- in 2012 becomes the defensive coordinator of the Denver Broncos, they finish 2nd in yards allowed, compared to 20th the year before.

There were of course other stops in there. But like Rivera, a clear track record of immediate defensive improvement in the first year.

Worth noting of course that in 2015 Wade Phillips replaced him as defensive coordinator and put together an all time defense. A lot of Broncos fans would say Del Rio's defenses were not aggressive enough - too bland - rushing 4 and not blitzing enough.

If Chase Young is a part of the front 4, I don't think we'll have to blitz much. Regardless, this is leaps and bounds beyond Greg Manusky. HTTR
Great hire IMO, I love what this team is doing right now. You can't ask for a better set up as a fan. Proven winning culture from the HC/DC and you keep a young talented Offensive mind in place.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:46 AM   #4
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Big fan of his since he was a LB at USC where he was a maniac.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:55 AM   #5
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:

Thanks for sharing the details, I wasn't sure about this move but now with the info, it doesn't look like a bad move at all.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #6
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

It'll be a 4-3 defense is Del Rio goes off his coaching record. Which IMO really doesn't make a huge difference , we will have the DL to get pressure though
Old 12-31-2019, 12:16 PM   #7
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Thanks for sharing the details, I wasn't sure about this move but now with the info, it doesn't look like a bad move at all.
Agree, he had some iffy defense his last stop raiders and I had heard he wasn’t aggressive (more bend don’t break). But I’m excited by the news...seems like he is a baller DC....finally have a solid pedigree at DC

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
Schneed10
A Dude

He and Rivera are both a rush four, blitz less type defense. It works when you have the horses up front. Ioannidis, Allen, Payne, Kerrigan, Sweat, Chase Young (plz). Quite a rotation along the front four. Settle and Payne anchor your goalline package when a run stop is needed. And you have a lot of options to go with a NASCAR pass rush on known passing situations.

Will be interesting to see where Ryan Anderson fits. He's the tweener in this setup.

Best news of all: no more dropping Sweat and Kerrigan into coverage.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
He and Rivera are both a rush four, blitz less type defense. It works when you have the horses up front. Ioannidis, Allen, Payne, Kerrigan, Sweat, Chase Young (plz). Quite a rotation along the front four. Settle and Payne anchor your goalline package when a run stop is needed. And you have a lot of options to go with a NASCAR pass rush on known passing situations.

Will be interesting to see where Ryan Anderson fits. He's the tweener in this setup.

Best news of all: no more dropping Sweat and Kerrigan into coverage.
https://riggosrag.com/2019/12/30/rep...fense-in-2020/

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 12:43 PM   #10
Warthog
The Starter

Jack Del Rio Thread

This is a GREAT hire! He has taken mediocre defenses and made them into top 5 or even top 2or 3 rated very quickly. He is a disciplinarian and specializes against the run - which we need in the NFC East!

This unit has a lot of good players but has been poorly coached for years now. Gone will be the vanilla and predictable schemes of Manusky! We’ll see a lot of energized blitzes and many more sacks.

I am drooling thinking of what Jack could do with Chase Young!! We will have an elite front 4 I predict the next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyboy.

"Land of the Free and Home of the Brave"
Warthog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:03 PM   #11
DYoungJelly
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
This is a GREAT hire! He has taken mediocre defenses and made them into top 5 or even top 2or 3 rated very quickly. He is a disciplinarian and specializes against the run - which we need in the NFC East!

This unit has a lot of good players but has been poorly coached for years now. Gone will be the vanilla and predictable schemes of Manusky! We’ll see a lot of energized blitzes and many more sacks.

I am drooling thinking of what Jack could do with Chase Young!! We will have an elite front 4 I predict the next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think the biggest criticism of Manusky has been his defenses have been the opposite of vanilla, they have been so exotic the CB's and LB's were confused and thinking too much.

I also have read what all the other posters have, that he doesn't blitz much at all.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 12-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #12
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Let's hit some motherfuckers in their mouths in 2020. I am frothing at the mouth with Redskins Koolaid for next season. We can actually he excited.

Note - Eff you Bruce. Take your Gatorade bottle and GTFO.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:26 PM   #13
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
Let's hit some motherfuckers in their mouths in 2020. I am frothing at the mouth with Redskins Koolaid for next season. We can actually he excited.

Me too, I'm as exited as I was with Shanny coming in
Old 12-31-2019, 02:44 PM   #14
AnonEmouse
The Starter

I'd suggest a 4-3 predicated on stopping the run is our priority, given 2 of the best RBs are in our division, and being able to bring pressure with the front 4 and moderate blitzing (thus keeping LBs in position to play run or pass better) suits us. What we need is an O that keeps the D off the filed foo much, keeping them fresh. Hopefully fixing the OL and passing game in general sorts that out.
AnonEmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:24 PM   #15
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post

I enjoy hitting as much as the next guy, used to love those bone-shaking hits Sean Taylor laid out back in the day. But this ain't Sean Taylor's NFL anymore, even big hits where the defender leads with the shoulder are getting penalized. I think the NFL is trying to regulate big hits out of the game.
mooby is offline   Reply With Quote