Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 01-02-2020, 08:31 AM   #1
Schneed10
A Dude

Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

Given the housecleaning the Redskins have undergone in the football operations and head coaching areas, I’m getting started with this thread earlier this year. This looks at the Redskins salary cap status for 2020. This references OverTheCap’s terrific salary cap data. This year the Redskins find themselves with plenty of available cap space which will go a long way towards molding the team to Ron Rivera’s image. This thread is equal parts a summary of where the cap stands today, and a list of the moves the team is likely to make to manage their cap flexibility.

As the team makes moves throughout the offseason I'll try to keep this updated to reflect the actual impact on the cap. Last updated February 20, 2020 at 5:00pm.

Redskins Cap Space Entering 2019: $35.4M

Moves Made
Extended P Tress Way $0M (goes into effect 2021)
Released CB Josh Norman $12.4M
Released WR Paul Richardson $2.5M
Released TE Jordan Reed $8.5M
Franchise Tagged G Brandon Scherff ($14.8M)
Two Players Added Back to Top 51 ($1.2M)

Redskins Cap Space Current Estimate $42.8M

Moves Expected
Trade OT Trent Williams $12.5M
One Player Added Back to Top 51 ($0.6M)

Expected Redskins Cap Space after Moves $54.7M

Roster Needs:
Backup QB (2?)
G
WR
TE (2)
CB
LB
S

Last edited by Schneed10; 03-16-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 01-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #2
BaltimoreSkins
Pro Bowl

Re: Redskins Salary Cap Status - 2020

I am assuming those roster needs are based on the glaring and obvious and not just areas where we could upgrade/improve?
BaltimoreSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #3
Schneed10
A Dude

A note on the Alex Smith situation since it has such a large impact on our salary cap.

Alex Smith is currently under contract for three more years. His $16M salary this year is guaranteed, and we still have yet to recognize $16.2M of his signing bonus on our cap. This means that if we cut him or trade him before June 1 of this year, it will actually hurt our cap and reduce our available cap space by ($10.8M).

If cut him with a post-June 1 designation, or trade him after June 1, then we save no money against the cap this season, our cap will be entirely unchanged. Because with that $16M salary guaranteed, we'd carry another $5.4M of the prorated bonus in 2020, putting his cap number right back at $21.4M in 2020, where it would be if he were still on the roster. But in 2021 he'd come off the cap and we'd save $13.6M.

The same thing would happen in 2021 if we kept him through this season, and then cut him prior to June 1 of 2021. Our cap space in 2021 would go up $13.6M, the same impact as if we let him go after June 1 of this year.

Due to all this, I'm calling it likely that he remains a Redskin through this season and serves as the backup to Dwayne Haskins. He'll likely continue serving as a mentor while he works his way back - and collects a paycheck.

Despite the likelihood that he sticks with us in 2020, we'll still have the available cap space I list in my original post above, and the Redskins will likely plan for 2021 to say goodbye to Alex, and plan their free agency this year to account for the fact that 2021 will have $13.6M more in cap space than it would with Alex on the roster.

In that sense, it would be wise to push some chips into the table in free agency this year. If Haskins continues to progress, the Redskins have two years to take advantage of the rookie contract window (2021 and 2022). In 2023 they'll either need to execute the 5th year option on Haskins or extend him long term.
Old 01-02-2020, 08:52 AM   #4
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreSkins View Post
I am assuming those roster needs are based on the glaring and obvious and not just areas where we could upgrade/improve?
Right, exactly. I identified the areas where the holes are glaring.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:07 AM   #5
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Great summary..... no thoughts on Kerrigans status?
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 09:10 AM   #6
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Re Alex Smith, if his salary is part of the gaurantee then doesn't that leave our cap if he is traded so we would only be hit by the bonus he has received so far.... apologies if I have misunderstood your post, genuine question just trying to understand the mechanics of the salary cap
Old 01-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #7
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundDorf View Post
Great summary..... no thoughts on Kerrigans status?
If you release or trade him it would create an additional $11.7M in cap space. I personally wouldn't, so I didn't list it. He's still too valuable a player and even with Chase Young I'd want as much strong depth along the new 4-3 DL as I can get.

But if you want to play armchair GM, getting rid of him would mean $11.7M more in cap space.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #8
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Re Alex Smith, if his salary is part of the gaurantee then doesn't that leave our cap if he is traded so we would only be hit by the bonus he has received so far.... apologies if I have misunderstood your post, genuine question just trying to understand the mechanics of the salary cap
Yeah if you can get a team to take on $16M in salary for Alex, then yes you're right, that guaranteed portion of the salary would be borne by the new team, not by us.

But for all practical purposes, who would ever pay $16M for one season of Alex Smith at this point, given what he's trying to come back from? Too many questions about his mobility. Teams might take him on with an incentive laden deal structure, but nobody's paying $16M guaranteed. So I see us as stuck with him.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #9
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Yeah that is a great point about Smith, I am sitting on the fence regarding Kerrigan, if we sign him to a new deal for 2-3 years then we should be able to save a little, no?
Old 01-02-2020, 09:38 AM   #10
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Yeah that is a great point about Smith, I am sitting on the fence regarding Kerrigan, if we sign him to a new deal for 2-3 years then we should be able to save a little, no?
Yes that seems plausible. There would be a lot of ways to extend him and get the cap number down in 2020.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:11 AM   #11
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Regarding Smith, i recall Sheehan saying that took out an insurance policy on him and, if its determined his injury is career-ending, the insurance policy would pay out, including a salary cap credit somewhere around $12M.

Its possible Smith really does have every intention to try and play again. Its also possible he and his family have decided that given his age and current contract, for his long-term health, the best thing is for him to never play again. However, in order for the team to collect the insurance policy, he needs to make it look like he tried his hardest, but ultimately was not medically cleared.

I'm not saying this is what is happening now, but throwing it out there as a possibility. So there is a scenario where, in 2020 or 2021, we could get that credit and have an additional 12M or so in cap space.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #12
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Also, I don't think we can expect the Skins to tag Scherff. He's a very good guard, but he's simply not worth the price of the tag. If Bruce were still here, i think he would tag Scherff out of stubbornness, but he's not. Cooler heads will prevail. I think we'll get a long term extension done with him with a lower cap hit or we'll let him go via free agency.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:20 AM   #13
Irrefutable
The Starter

$7 million is too much for Flowers. And trade Kerrigan if you can.
Irrefutable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:28 AM   #14
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Isn’t Ruben Foster due for a contract year? Or is it next year?

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #15
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
Also, I don't think we can expect the Skins to tag Scherff. He's a very good guard, but he's simply not worth the price of the tag. If Bruce were still here, i think he would tag Scherff out of stubbornness, but he's not. Cooler heads will prevail. I think we'll get a long term extension done with him with a lower cap hit or we'll let him go via free agency.
You have to bring him back. Probably on a franchise. Some guys you have to overpay.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote