Locker Room Main Forum

Old 07-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #16
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

Re: Offense: Biggest Questions Going Into Camp

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
As for the Q

I'm going with run blocking. Last yr Rob had a bunch of plays where he didn't get the push inside.
If Doctson is healthy, our offense will be even better than last season. My only concern is improving in red zone. I think thats just as much scheme as talent. Punch that mother trucker in!!!

Only 17 more days till 1st pre season game.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 07-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #17
Alvin Walton
Pro Bowl

I think Doctson and Perrine will be the tell alls for our success this season.
If Doctson is healthy and plays like the worth of a 1st rounder then I dont think we will miss Pierre and skinny bones DJax very much. Mostly because I think Pryor is a fecking monster and everyone is quite high on Crowder.

Fat Rob was/is a half decent running back....
Pretty sure no one fears him.
Perrine?
We haven't seen him play a down....
Maybe he can strike some fear...

If Doctson and Perrine show up we can contend, maybe even more so than last year.
I also think Brian Quick can make an impact though no one is talking about him.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:33 AM   #18
FlyerSkin

Running game will improve immensely
I would imagine with drafting a strong inside the tackles runner. Play calling hopefully improves in the red zone as a rejuvenated running game should provide Gruden with more options. Fingers crossed for Doctson, but if he gets another significant injury this season, we will seriously consider drafting another receiver in 2018. I think Harris and Quick can really contribute though, just how much we will have to wait and see. This season will be very interesting.
FlyerSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:40 AM   #19
Schneed10
A Dude

For me the biggest question is definitely the running game and the red zone. I think Perine will make a difference in short yardage. In general the running game should be better because of the removal of Jackson from the lineup. Guy just didn't block. When he was in the game they had a serious tendency to run to the other side of the field. I think they can do things like motion Pryor down and have him trap somebody to the inside. I can see that springing Thompson around the edge, stuff like that.

On the red zone, if short yardage running is better then the red zone automatically gets better. As for red zone passing, I feel like Cousins doesn't have any excuses anymore with this personnel. These WRs and TEs are custom-built for red zone success. It needs to result in improvement. I still feel like it hinges on Kirk though. For some reason it's an open question in my mind: how much of our red zone woes last year were on the small receivers and how much was Kirk? Huge question mark. If it's good, we make the playoffs. If it's not, we don't.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:23 AM   #20
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
For me the biggest question is definitely the running game and the red zone. I think Perine will make a difference in short yardage. In general the running game should be better because of the removal of Jackson from the lineup. Guy just didn't block. When he was in the game they had a serious tendency to run to the other side of the field. I think they can do things like motion Pryor down and have him trap somebody to the inside. I can see that springing Thompson around the edge, stuff like that.

On the red zone, if short yardage running is better then the red zone automatically gets better. As for red zone passing, I feel like Cousins doesn't have any excuses anymore with this personnel. These WRs and TEs are custom-built for red zone success. It needs to result in improvement. I still feel like it hinges on Kirk though. For some reason it's an open question in my mind: how much of our red zone woes last year were on the small receivers and how much was Kirk? Huge question mark. If it's good, we make the playoffs. If it's not, we don't.
I think it was Cooley (not positive) that said last year the one drawback that DJax brought to the offense was that the play selection was a lot more limited, but his deep threat ability was such that you had to have him in enough times to make it work. I am really excited about the addition of Pryor, and can't wait to see how much he brings to the offense.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #21
metalskins
The Starter

We're not going to be able to replace the deep threat ability of DeSean Jackson. However, we can still have deep threats and we will still be able to stretch the ball with Pryor and Doctson. But it's a very good point about adding some more wide receivers who can also block. That will open up our running game even more and give Cousins more time. It all sounds so good on paper, but I can't wait to see it applied on the field.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #22
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

7 > 3

Red zone TD% will have a huge input on how many games we win. Especially early in the season when defense is still trying to gel.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:03 PM   #23
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

T Pryor----from what Ive read-----is extremely fast for his size. I thought it was telling when in spring they announced Pryor would be taking D Jax position and not Doctson. Id forget if that's X or Y, but they are expecting T Pryor to stretch the field.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:34 PM   #24
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
T Pryor----from what Ive read-----is extremely fast for his size. I thought it was telling when in spring they announced Pryor would be taking D Jax position and not Doctson. Id forget if that's X or Y, but they are expecting T Pryor to stretch the field.
Yes he is, 4.38 40 time if I remember.

It's not Jackson's 4.2 but it's still a threat.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #25
Defensewins
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
As for the Q

I'm going with run blocking. Last yr Rob had a bunch of plays where he didn't get the push inside.

It is about run blocking or lack of effective run blocking. It is our weakness on offense.
IMO saying play calling and scheme is the reason we were not a good running team last year is short sighted.
We passed more and ran less out of necessity, because we could not dictate run, we got stuffed. Proof is in the short yardage/goal line situation stats, we were terrible at running it in the end zone in short yardage.
Fade, Fade, pass to the TE was our goal line offense last year. So predictable.
We are not balanced in run blocking up front. We have only two good run blockers, Silverback and Brandon Scherff. Plus our starting TE is not a run blocker.
Shawn Lauvao is inconsistent and is injured all the time.
Morgan Moses is an excellent pass blocker but is still not a maul em run blocker yet. But I really like Morgan Moses.
I was disappointed we did not draft a Mauling OG early or sign one in FA to solidify our O-line.
Just like last year we suffered with a lack of tallent at D-line. This year might be our OG position.
We had one game last year where we ran at will on our opponent and that was we were forced out of injury to bring in Ty Nsehke to LT an moved Trent Williams to Left Guard.
Defensewins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:23 PM   #26
metalskins
The Starter

Quote:
Best of both worlds: Size and speed. Our redzone % should go sky high!
Old 07-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #27
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
He's fast, but I have seen the term "long-strider" used to describe him a lot. Generally, when I see that used to describe a WR, it's rarely positive and is generally a knock on their route running. "Yes, he has a fast 40, but he's a long strider who isn't going to fool anyone" or "Yes, he's fast but he's a long strider who doesn't separate well in short to medium routes." I also read that Kirk was having some trouble adjusting to the way Pryor runs, but that might just be regular growing pains as a QB gets used to a new receiver.

I don't know if Pryor's speed is just a straight line thing or if his combo of speed, height and strength makes up for any alleged route running issues. My guess is that he is going to be solid and that while he won't cause safeties to drop 20 yards off the line, his deep speed will have to be respected.

I am really hoping that he continues to polish his skills and grow as a WR. If he does, he could be very dangerous in both the long game and in the Red Zone - something at which DJax really didn't excel.

Terrelle Pryor, Kirk Cousins connect as Redskins envision more deep success - Washington Redskins Blog- ESPN
Old 07-26-2017, 12:01 AM   #28
skinsfan69
Living Legend

I think Pryor will be just fine. It's Docston that needs to prove himself. Pryor is coming off a pretty good season with multiple QB's throwing him the ball. This is basically Doc's rookie year.

I'd also look out for Mo Harris. The coaches really like him a lot.
skinsfan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #29
MTK
\m/

http://www.espn.com/blog/washington-...terrelle-pryor
Old 07-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #30
budw38
Playmaker

CSN reporting J Reed on PUP list , toe issue ...
budw38 is offline   Reply With Quote