Coming from a Ledge Near You: the Redskins-Rams Offensive Review

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #16
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Re: Coming from a Ledge Near You: the Redskins-Rams Offensive Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
By organizational design, I meant design of the coaching staff. You have 'x' number of offensive assistants, here are the roles, etc. The Redskins are, in many ways, a poorly coached team, which is as much about the assistants on the offense staff as it is about Zorn.

I think if he delegated better, he would appear more organized. But he can only go to his assistants if they are actually worth having on the staff. By organizational design, I'm suggesting that there's legit doubt that we have quality coaching anywhere on the offensive staff. Except the offensive line coach, who if nothing else, is proven.
Part of this problem is he's working with Gibbs staff who has never worked in a WCO before. His first yr was trying to coach the coach's into understanding the WCO and what he was trying to do. Kinda hard to deligate authority when people have no idea what your talking about or what you want. I'll agree he needs to back off a bit and allow his coach's to coach though. JC knows what he has to do technique wise at this point. Let the Asst. QB coach work with him now.

Does anyone have connections with the Redskins or Hixon that could put the bug in his ear that our WR's (especially Moss due to size) need to utilize the curl, come back, and stop and go routes. Teams like the Giants, Dallas, Colts, Miami, etc., etc. understand these routes work in drawing off the defender. for whatever reason it looks like the coach's don't want our WR's doing these things. Probably telling them to just run the route straight out and pray they get seperation for JC to throw to.

I was going to say something like "Oh, now the excuse is JC and Moss have issue." LOL. but your studying of the game looks to be about right. The problem I have is why aren't the coach's fixing this issue? Maybe I'm correct in my theory that a Curl, or come back would get Moss the ball. and whatever happened to Moss's quick slants we used to use to pick up 2-4 yrds when needed?
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #17
BleedBurgundy
Playmaker

Tripp, thanks for putting the work into these. I look forward to them every week.

Thomas Paine
BleedBurgundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #18
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Great job. I would agree players didnt execute along with bad calling. Everyone is accountable. One thing realllllly bothering me is our new RT Heyer. So far in pass coverage he has been ok. I dont need film to show me Heyer sucks at run blocking. This is a concern, if he cant get that together this year behind Buges coaching, then we need to upgrade.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
Zerohero
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53Fan View Post
Excellent review as always GTripp. El's snag of JC's pass was nothing short of phenomenal. Big Mike may not have the best hands, but he earns his paycheck with his blocking. Interesting to learn what happened on the "almost" safety. I thought that was a little uncharacteristic of the way JC has been playing.
I almost lost it on that almost safety, couldnt understand why he didnt throw it away. Helps seeing the whole picture, i even liked the point of maybe Kelly ran a perfect fade route but if the quarterback isnt expecting it he wont throw it right.
Zerohero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #20
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Thank you for the review, GTripp. I truly enjoyed it.

On the one hand, the statistical analysis you provided here serves to correct any misconceptions that I may have but, on the other hand, I can't help but think that we won't know what type of team we really have until we see a couple of late fourth quarter drives where we need to score touchdowns to win.

I don't know much but I believe that we were a gnat's eyelash away from losing to the Rams at home. If Avery hadn't fumbled on our 5-yard line in the fourth quarter, we may have needed a late touchdown to win. Who knows what might have happened in that situation? We need to find out how this team responds to that type of challenge.

Regardless of anything else, if this team can show me that they can drive to a late touchdown to pull out a game, then I'm going to have a lot more confidence that we can win any game. At that point, I'll worry less about the final score and the statistics, even against the weaker teams, as long as we win.
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:04 PM   #21
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerohero View Post
I almost lost it on that almost safety, couldnt understand why he didnt throw it away. Helps seeing the whole picture, i even liked the point of maybe Kelly ran a perfect fade route but if the quarterback isnt expecting it he wont throw it right.
He couldn't throw it away or it would have been an automatic safety for grounding. If you see the replay you can see he really doesn't have much time. Looked like Samuels stepped on his foot and by the time he gets reset the defender is all over him.
Old 09-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #22
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
Part of this problem is he's working with Gibbs staff who has never worked in a WCO before. His first yr was trying to coach the coach's into understanding the WCO and what he was trying to do. Kinda hard to deligate authority when people have no idea what your talking about or what you want. I'll agree he needs to back off a bit and allow his coach's to coach though. JC knows what he has to do technique wise at this point. Let the Asst. QB coach work with him now.

Does anyone have connections with the Redskins or Hixon that could put the bug in his ear that our WR's (especially Moss due to size) need to utilize the curl, come back, and stop and go routes. Teams like the Giants, Dallas, Colts, Miami, etc., etc. understand these routes work in drawing off the defender. for whatever reason it looks like the coach's don't want our WR's doing these things. Probably telling them to just run the route straight out and pray they get seperation for JC to throw to.

I was going to say something like "Oh, now the excuse is JC and Moss have issue." LOL. but your studying of the game looks to be about right. The problem I have is why aren't the coach's fixing this issue? Maybe I'm correct in my theory that a Curl, or come back would get Moss the ball. and whatever happened to Moss's quick slants we used to use to pick up 2-4 yrds when needed?
Who are the Gibbs holdovers? Buges and Hixon? He brought in Shermen Smith, Stump Mitchell and Chris Meidt. Those are 3 guys plus himself and he handpicked the new TE coach. I don't think any of the problems come from Gibbs' holdovers.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:17 PM   #23
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
Put the ball in JC's hands more and let's live or die with him.
Zorn too stubborn but you're 100% correct. It's time to put him back in shotgun and let him go.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #24
RedskinRat
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Zorn too stubborn but you're 100% correct. It's time to put him back in shotgun and let him go.
This is the ideal game to have JC let 'er rip!

All the potential noise of the home fans can be extinguished in the First Quarter if we can put up two or three quick TD's from long bombs.

And we can.

Let JC call his own game (under a little Zorn direction).
RedskinRat is offline   Reply With Quote