Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-02-2009, 08:33 PM   #46
Schneed10
A Dude

Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
You obviously don't know football. Lets add some things up. So maybe YOU can understand...

1. What happened last year when CP and Betts got hurt? Where was Rock?

Oh we went and got a Shaun Alexander aka tip toe burgular..

2. He has returned one kick for TD..I think it was in 2006. Our special teams sucks. So to say he is the best tackler on special teams and thats the reason you want to keep him is frankly assinine.

3. Rock is 29 years old about to be 30 and so is Betts.

We have two RBs that have different type of styles to offer that would be more productive than Rock.

- So by your football knowledge. We have no one else that can return kicks.

- We have know one that can tackle besides him on special teams and he makes every tackle on special teams. Dude please.

- We shouldn't learn from our mistakes in 08. By not keeping a RB that can contribute if Betts and CP get nicked.

We have Moss, Betts, Thomas and other that can return kicks plus have more than one duty on the team.

But you right. I know nothing about football.
Wow, belligerent. I'm not sure whether to ream you out or admire you.

But seriously, you're vastly underestimating the importance of special teams. Rock didn't just return a kick for a TD, he ranks in the top 5 or 6 in the NFL in average yards on kick returns. The dude's legit.

But I do think we have other players who could adequately replace him on kick returns. Where I'd be much more concerned is punt and kick coverage, considering we already lost two out of our three best special teams tacklers in James Thrash and Khary Campbell. Losing Rock, the last of that coverage trio, would be a loss too great to bear. You'd be screaming at your TV in frustration every time we gave up a long return.

As for the injury risk, you're basing most of your argument on the anectdotal evidence from last season, when Betts got hurt and Portis "wore down." First off, Portis's drop off last year had more to do with a decimated offensive line than it did with his own drop off. But that notwithstanding, assuming that both of your top two RBs will be injured at the same time for a prolonged period is nothing short of retarded. Think about it, how many times have we needed to rely on Rock Cartwright (our #3 RB for the last 7 or 8 years) for more than a single game at a time?

The benefit Cartwright brings on special teams far outweighs the value Mason brings. Mason can't play teams, and he's no faster than Portis, Betts, or Cartwright. If you're going to mount an argument for any back over Cartwright, it definitely shouldn't be Mason. It should be Alridge, because at least he has a chance of breaking a gigantic play a la Darren Sproles.

Mason is completely ordinary. He can find holes and run with authority, that's about it. But he's a liability in pass protection so you can't put him on the field on 3rd downs. He doesn't have breakaway speed so he's not a fit as a change of pace back. And as discussed ad nauseum here, he can't play teams. He might be a decent back with a decent future ahead of him if he can improve on key areas, but we need other skill sets. We're all taken care of in the decent RB department, we've got two of them already. And to sacrifice a key special teams player for the sake of excess insurance at RB is, well, stupid.

Advertisements
Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #47
53Fan
Franchise Player

Wink Re: Vinny tips his hand on the final 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
Great thread. As far as the final two running backs are concerned I bet they'll have Mason and one of the two speed guys with Aldridge being the favorite. My guess is though that they also end up putting Eddie Williams (FB) on either the PUP list or the practice squad (I don't know if there's a real threat of him getting picked up by another team).

Lorenzo Alexander and Albert Haynesworth will share time at FB
Can Eddie Williams be put on the PUP list? I thought he played in a game recently. Maybe not.

I was thinking Mike Williams as emergency FB. He was carrying Sellers around on his back the other day like a knapsack.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #48
The Goat
Pro Bowl

My take on Mason's likelihood of making the final 53 is it would indicate Zorn has less confidence in Betts than anyone previously thought. I mean that in a comprehensive way, like he doesn't have confidence Ladell can spot CP effectively, stay healthy the entire season and even be a legit starter in case Portis suffers injury. I doubt Zorn sees it this way though. Basically if Betts is a poor man's Portis as some say than Mason is a poor man's Betts. Aldridge or Dorsey should make the team tho cuz they bring something new to the table...super speed and agility. So if we're keeping 5 RBs it's gonna be:

CP, Betts, Rock, Sellers, Aldridge or Dorsey.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:36 PM   #49
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
You two have concluded that neither of you knows anything about football in argument over who the third string running back is going to be?

There is a good argument for keeping Rock and also for moving in another direction.
Correction, I've concluded that he knows nothing about football and that I am the smartest guy in this thread.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #50
MTK
\m/

We're talking about the 3rd, possibly 4th string RB. I mean, really?
Old 09-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #51
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk72 View Post
I'm talking more about our best special teams player than I am about our 3rd or 4th string RB. There's a huge difference, IMO.

But mainly this is a pissing match between me and a half-wit.

Yes, I'm easily amused.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:45 PM   #52
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Well I'll take having the biggest argument of the offseason be about the 4th string RB or 3rd string QB, than having a huge question mark be about a 1st team player at any position.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #53
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
I'm talking more about our best special teams player than I am about our 3rd or 4th string RB. There's a huge difference, IMO.

But mainly this is a pissing match between me and a half-wit.

Yes, I'm easily amused.
Yeah I get what you're saying, I'm just commenting in general. Seems to be a lot of passion over who should be the 3rd or 4th string RB, just seems kinda silly for people to get so fired up over it.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #54
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Well I'll take having the biggest argument of the offseason be about the 4th string RB or 3rd string QB, than having a huge question mark be about a 1st team player at any position.
Yeah guess it's better than a starting QB debate
Old 09-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #55
MTK
\m/

Just to toss my hat in, I think it's going to be Portis, Betts, Rock, Aldridge.

Either that or Portis, Betts, Rock.

I really don't see Mason making it, and I'd give the slight edge to Aldridge making it over Dorsey.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #56
wilsowilso

Quote:
Just to toss my hat in, I think it's going to be Portis, Betts, Rock, Aldridge.

Either that or Portis, Betts, Rock.

I really don't see Mason making it, and I'd give the slight edge to Aldridge making it over Dorsey.

Yeah this seems the likely scenario. I would switch Mason for Betts, but I'm a notorious Betts hater(not really I just think he is kinda average) so it wouldn't be fair to let me make the decision.
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:54 PM   #57
12thMan
MVP

Wow, I didn't know we had a crisis at third string running back.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #58
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsowilso View Post
Yeah this seems the likely scenario. I would switch Mason for Betts, but I'm a notorious Betts hater(not really I just think he is kinda average) so it wouldn't be fair to let me make the decision.
If the team is going to get rid of Betts, I would hope that they would get compensated for it. As good as Mason was during the preseason, I wouldn't replace Betts with him, and Rock has his special teams play that gives him the advantage.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #59
T.O.Killa
The Starter

I would bet that if Aldridge makes it before Mason. I think that if Mason makes it they cut Cartight. A fifth running back has to be different, so I am betting on Aldrige and his change of pace speed.
T.O.Killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:07 PM   #60
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

I think that Dorsey is more likely than Alridge, who has both health and fumble problems.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote