Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

At what point would you Trade Up to get Jimmy Clausen?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
GTripp0012
Living Legend

At what point would you Trade Up to get Jimmy Clausen?

Interesting question here. With the Seahawks, Broncos, and likely Bills as well hedging their bets against having to take a quarterback to play right away, the market for quarterbacks appears a lot like it was in 2007. That's to say that the projections that the team picking first is going to take a quarterback seems more solid every day, but that a lot of teams picking in the top 10-15 already have opening day quarterbacks.

The question is this: how far up would you be willing to to get Jimmy Clausen as he falls? Keep in mind that the price of each pick is exponentially steeper. To trade up from the 36th pick to the 22nd pick to get their QB in 2007, the Browns gave up their first round pick the following year. In 2006, we went up about 9 picks in the second round to get Rocky McIntosh, and gave up our second rounder the following year.

We could probably get up to about where the Colts are (31st overall) with just our fourth round pick, but any higher than that, we're looking at trading away our first or second round picks in 2011.

This hypothetical assumes that we take an offensive tackle with the 4th overall pick. It's probably reasonable to assume that if Clausen is falling, we could have any other quarterback in the draft besides him (and obviously Bradford) in the second round. So, if you think Jimmy Clausen is worth more than just our second round pick, let's put a price on him.

Options are:

-I would not be willing to use the 37th overall pick on Jimmy Clausen
-I would be willing to spend the 37th overall pick on Clausen, but not trade up for him
-I would be willing to trade our fourth round pick to move up 2-6 spots and ensure that we get him, even if it looks like we can get him at 37.
-I would be willing to trade up about 10 picks into the back end of the first round (ahead of, say, Arizona), at the cost of the 2011 2nd rounder.
-If Jimmy Clausen is available after the 16th pick in the first round, we should trade our 2011 first rounder to ensure we get him.

Note: in all situations, you would be using the second round pick in part of the trade/selection process.

Advertisements
Old 03-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: At what point would you Trade Up to get Jimmy Clausen?

I would be willing to trade up about 10 picks into the back end of the first round (ahead of, say, Arizona), at the cost of the 2011 2nd rounder.

good value here and he would be worth taking...i know he isnt part of the question, but Colt McCoy (think he would be there) at our current second round slot would be my preference taking OT King Kung with our first

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
Monkeydad
Living Legend

^ I agree with the second portion of your post.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Obviously, I would take McCoy over Clausen, especially if I have the ability to save draft picks. But in a vacuum, this is still a question of getting value on a draft choice at quarterback, which is what makes the question so interesting to me.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

If he falls to 4th and the Skins pass and take a OT like they should i dont think he would make it out of the top 15 so i really cant see a way to land him without giving up next yrs first. So i am against this move. just my 2
Old 03-22-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
tootergray34
Impact Rookie

idiots...Mccoy is going to be awful...why are people thinking we would take him? You have to look at the only 3 QB's that we are interested in seeing work out...bradford, clausen, and tebow. It's going to be one of those 3..and with bradford going first, we are taking clausen...best case scenario is trading our 2nd next year to get another first to get an OL...perhaps Iupiati, or B. Campbell, or A. Davis. BUT, we can't miss on Clausen, he is the best prospect at QB in a while, we will be set if we get him.
tootergray34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:44 PM   #7
DBUCHANON101
The Starter

IMO The only way they get Clausen is if they trade JC--Buffalo?--. I dont see it happening but stranger things have happened.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
GTripp0012
Living Legend

If we did trade up to get Clausen, I'd imagine he would be the opening day starter. And that we'd probably acquire a mid-round pick for Campbell in an attempt to help mitigate the picks lost in a trade up.

All the more reason that I wouldn't throw too much pick compensation at a secondary issue such as who our QB is this year, but the draft is a dynamic thing, so the question is worth asking.
Old 03-22-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
If we did trade up to get Clausen, I'd imagine he would be the opening day starter. And that we'd probably acquire a mid-round pick for Campbell in an attempt to help mitigate the picks lost in a trade up.

All the more reason that I wouldn't throw too much pick compensation at a secondary issue such as who our QB is this year, but the draft is a dynamic thing, so the question is worth asking.
Tripp (or anyone), would you give up our 2011 first rounder to acquire a second 2010 first round pick so we can pick up both a first-round QB and a first-round tackle? Like for instance if Bradford were to fall to us to #4 (I know very unlikely for him to fall).
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #10
celts32
Playmaker

If were trading I would prefer a trade up from #4 to #1 to get Bradford but I guess since were talking Clausen:

-I would be willing to trade up about 10 picks into the back end of the first round (ahead of, say, Arizona), at the cost of the 2011 2nd rounder.

However, if Shanny feels strongly enough about Clausen to trade up for him I think he should just take him at #4 and asure he gets him.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #11
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootergray34 View Post
idiots...Mccoy is going to be awful...why are people thinking we would take him? You have to look at the only 3 QB's that we are interested in seeing work out...bradford, clausen, and tebow. It's going to be one of those 3..and with bradford going first, we are taking clausen...best case scenario is trading our 2nd next year to get another first to get an OL...perhaps Iupiati, or B. Campbell, or A. Davis. BUT, we can't miss on Clausen, he is the best prospect at QB in a while, we will be set if we get him.
This is the stupidest thing that I've ever read.
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #12
celts32
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootergray34 View Post
Idiots is a little rough chief. Those workouts mean nothing...Bradford and Clausen workouts are obvious ones since they have the #4 overall pick but they could purposely not schedule a meeting with the QB they like best outside the top guys just to hide their interest. Remember in Denver no one knew Shanny was targeting Cutler.

“Goal line, goal line. I-left, tight wing, 70 chip on white.”

www.facebook.com/HackettstownBeerClub
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #13
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

At this point the Skins front office is playing it very close to the vest. I have a hard time believing that the draft will be any different, leading me to believe that they'll either try to trade down or draft who they believe to be the best available tackle.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #14
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
Tripp (or anyone), would you give up our 2011 first rounder to acquire a second 2010 first round pick so we can pick up both a first-round QB and a first-round tackle? Like for instance if Bradford were to fall to us to #4 (I know very unlikely for him to fall).
For a bunch of reasons, just trading the 2011 first rounder would be insufficient to get back into the first round, it would have to be paired with the second rounder.

Given the quality of this draft and the uncertainty of future drafts, I would be willing to trade the 2011 first rounder to get a player that we are targeting in the second round who we feel can be an immediate impact player (someone who, obviously, we have a first round grade on). This pick would almost certainly come after our 37th overall second rounder, and thus, would seemingly not be necessary unless we use one of the first two picks on a QB.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:17 PM   #15
12thMan
MVP

GTripp, I don't follow your logic of taking Colt McCoy over Jimmy Clausen. At least the part about saving picks. It makes no difference unless you flat out believe that McCoy is plainly a better quarterback than Clausen. And if you do, then you're certainly in the minority on this one, which is fine too. But saving picks for the sake of "saving picks", yet drafting an inferior quarterback accomplishes nothing. You draft a quarterback with the intention that he'll someday lead your franchise and lead it well.

Either Colt McCoy is better than Clausen and deserves to be drafted higher or he isn't. Adding picks to the equation does nothing for me when you're drafting a quarterback. It's a make or break position.
12thMan is offline   Reply With Quote