Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-22-2018, 04:17 PM   #1
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Re: Trade Deadline Moves

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
FUK!

First round trades have worked SO WELL for JJ in the past......Joey Galloway (2 first rounders).....Roy Williams......now Amari Cooper.....

I know Cooper can play WR. I am still not convinced that Dak can play QB and get him the ball.
Some people never learn. It's not a good trade at all. The guy can't catch and will want a new deal. As Matty mentioned, just draft Ridley or be patient and wait until the 19 draft. Cowboys aren't going anywhere anyway w/ Dak under center.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #2
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Some people never learn. It's not a good trade at all. The guy can't catch and will want a new deal. As Matty mentioned, just draft Ridley or be patient and wait until the 19 draft. Cowboys aren't going anywhere anyway w/ Dak under center.
Had some time to roast on this. It is not great, probably still not good either, but not as bad as I thought. I figure this trade is not so much to do with Cooper, but with Prescott.

I did the math after Witten and Bryant departed in the off-season. In the previous 3 years before they left, Bryant and Witten accounted for 40% of the total passing yardage for 3 seasons. 1 with Romo, 2 with Prescott. So the front office took A LOT away from Dak. They realize they may have taken too much away.

Prescott is a 4th rounder from the 2016 draft and under the standard 4 year rookie deal. But as a 4th rounder, there is no 5th year option. In other words, he is a Free Agent in 2020. So this season is 'his' year. If he is going to get that 'Franchise QB contract' with Dallas, it will be in the off-season. Or he does not get one. Plays 2019-2020 under the last year of his rookie deal and is a UFA in 2020.

For 2018 and 2019, Cooper is set to make $700,000 for 2018 and $13.9 million in the 2019 season. Dallas inherits that deal with the trade.

So Dallas is really paying half of that $700,000 for the remainder of 2018 season to see if Dak is the guy. It is a $350,000 investment to see if you are going to gamble on Prescott as your franchise QB after this year with a $50 PLUS million dollar contract extension.

Either way, Cooper will get a contract extension in the off season. That will erase the $13.9 owed in 2019 from his previous contract and spread that extension over 5 years. So Dallas is really only in the hole $350,000 this year because half of the season he spent in Oakland.

Not worried as much now. Except if Dak ain't it (which I am convinced he is NOT), we do not have a 1st rounder in 2019 to draft a QB.

A little perspective on Coopers age. Amari Cooper is 24. This December, Calvin Ridley (the guy I wanted in the 1st round this year) Calvin Ridley turns 24. So if Dallas signs Cooper to a 5 year extension, that takes him to age 30....not bad.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
OmahaRedskins
Impact Rookie

That sounds promising, but what happens if he does not sign an extension or renegotiated. 13.9 is a lot of money, especially when Dak is going to cost you 25 - 30 a year.
OmahaRedskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmahaRedskins View Post
That sounds promising, but what happens if he does not sign an extension or renegotiated. 13.9 is a lot of money, especially when Dak is going to cost you 25 - 30 a year.
Release him. The contract he signed in Oakland is fully guaranteed in the last year, but only if he remains in Oakland.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote