Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

a hint?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 02-17-2005, 03:50 PM   #1
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

a hint?

Positional Analysis: Williams has said the team will take a look at and evaluate the available free agents and rookies at defensive end. But he is also anxious to see what kind of impact Daniels can have with a full season in the lineup. Like Daniels, Wynn can play both end and tackle, and coaches like that versatility. Evans and Warner provide solid depth and can fill in as starters when necessary. Is more depth needed? And what about an infusion of some young talent (Daniels is turns 32 in March, while Wynn and Warner turn 30 in September)? The Redskins have drafted just one defensive end since 1998, so this may be a position the team addresses this offseason.

I just read this on the offical website under roster review for DE's. I hope that this is some kind of hint that we will draft a big time DE, Spears, James etc. in the draft.
PSUskinsfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 04:08 PM   #2
BossHog

Re: a hint?

Daniels has had his chance. You can't count on any player who's hurt all the time. Give him the ax.
BossHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
FRPLG
MVP

I think we draft M Williams at 9 unless we figure we can trade down and still get him. If we somehow miss on him we should trade down and grab Erasmus James. When healthy the guy is unquestionably the best DE in the draft and is one of the top 3 or 4 players. His durability is really hurting him. If we can't Williams we can go down probably to 15 0r 16 and grab James. Of course this can all change after the combine next week so what the heck is the point of us even speculating until then.? Things will be much more clear after next week.
FRPLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 05:34 PM   #4
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

I agree 100% with trading down and taking James or Spears and picking up a pick if Williams is gone or we pick up a FA. I think James is really getting slept on kind of like Terrell Suggs who was a beast in college but "undersized for the NFL". Suggs is making every team that passed up on him pissed of now and I wouldn't be suprised if James would work out to be a poor man's Suggs.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:25 PM   #5
aehs77
Special Teams

mike williams wont fall to 9
aehs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:40 AM   #6
Gmanc711
Thank You, Sean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aehs77
mike williams wont fall to 9
I dont know man; he was barley supposed to crack the top ten last year in all seriousness. I know he was mostly regarded at the #2 WR in the draft, but alot of people had him falling even under Reggie Williams at the #9. So if he was barley supposed to crack the top 10 last season, I think after a year off, he could fall under the top ten this season... just a thought.
Gmanc711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:51 AM   #7
PSUskinsfan11
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
I dont know man; he was barley supposed to crack the top ten last year in all seriousness. I know he was mostly regarded at the #2 WR in the draft, but alot of people had him falling even under Reggie Williams at the #9. So if he was barley supposed to crack the top 10 last season, I think after a year off, he could fall under the top ten this season... just a thought.
Last years WR class was much deeper then this year though
Old 02-18-2005, 01:24 PM   #8
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmanc711
The pre-draft workouts will be huge for him. If he flashes his incredible physical talents he could easily shoot up to the top 5-7. I think regardless he goes top 10.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:37 PM   #9
Balmerskinsfan
Camp Scrub

I'm all for trading down. I want picks. Lots and lots of picks.
Balmerskinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:36 PM   #10
shallyshal
Special Teams

agree that the combine will make some changes happen, but, every year fewer and fewer players opt to go and really work out. it is starting to become almost useless. players now opt for a more controlled individual workout.

james is a tough player to figure. he tends to disappear for games at a time. and gallery totally dominated him when they played 2 years ago. also, james has had the benefit of playing with 3 other superb linemen at wisconsin. he is definitely a boom or bust player. spears would be a far more reliable pick, but he is less of a pure pass rusher and more a power player who plays both the run and pass. guys like roth and tuck are players who can really trun on the heat and would be there if the skins traded down.
also, pollack, is probably the most consistent pass rusher this coming year. he might or might not be there at 9.. finally there are a couple of guys out of the pac 10 from cal and from oregon state who were terrific pass rushers this pass year. both are light and would be situational players their first year.

as for williams... i think he will indeed still be there at 9. edwards has been the consensus top receiver and clayton has shot up following his performance at the senior bowl and practices. williams certainly has the body to be effective at the pro level, but he is likely to be more of a possession receiver because of his (lack of) burning speed. williamson, out of south carolina, might be the fastest receiver inthe entire draft. he could sneak up into the middle of the first round if someone falls in love with him. but he played in a run oriented offense and he could be boom or bust as well..

i think if the skins sign a free agent receiver quickly in march, i think the focus of the draft may shift towards off and def line.

finally, notice how absolutely NOTHING is being said about the obviously most pressing need for the skins... the offensive line!! that makes me think they are playing possum and will make a big splash either in free agency or early inthe draft.
that is certainly where the infusion of talent appears to be most needed.
shallyshal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:46 PM   #11
Funbunchfan
Camp Scrub

what about john abraham could he be a future jetskin
Funbunchfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 09:56 PM   #12
Schneed10
A Dude

I differ from you guys on Mike Williams. I think he'll be a great player... eventually. I've made this point in other threads, how many years of NFL experience does it take for your typical wide receiver to develop into a serious playmaker? Answer, 3 years. You get the occasional Randy Moss or Anquan Boldin or Roy Williams who light things up in their first season. But most other receivers: Santana Moss, Laveraneus Coles, Andre Johnson, David Boston, Ashley Lelie, Joey Galloway, Jerry Porter, Javon Walker, and Torry Holt, they all took 3 years. I mean, look at the 3rd overall pick from last year, Larry Fitzgerald, he made some nice plays, but did he make a serious difference for the Cardinals? No. And Reggie Williams, the Jags 9th overall pick, did NOTHING. That's not to say they won't become good players, but it takes a typical WR time to develop. I would like to see the Skins either select a playmaker at DE or a real good offensive lineman at the 9th spot; and if that's not possible trade down for more picks. I don't like the Mike Williams idea, not because he won't be a good player, but because it's likely that he won't make an impact until 2007.
Schneed10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:03 PM   #13
Daseal
Puppy Kicker

DE and Oline aren't exactly friendly positions. Look at Kenechie Udeeze who a lot of people wanted last year - where'd he go? What about Will Smith? Crickets... DEnd is such a risky pick I don't so much like it. Personally I think we're fine with our D line. We're going to have to keep blitzing, but I'm assuming a restructured Wynn and a healthy Daniels comes back. Mix in Clemons/Lavar at times and with Griffen and a rotation of Salave'a and Noble and we're set at D line. We'll still blitz, but that also helps keep backs in the back field, and as long as we can replace Smoot with someone at least close, assuming he walks, then we should be okay. The only change I want on defense is slightly more turnovers. Other than that - leave it alone.
Daseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:49 PM   #14
backrow
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
DE and Oline aren't exactly friendly positions. Look at Kenechie Udeeze who a lot of people wanted last year - where'd he go? What about Will Smith? Crickets... DEnd is such a risky pick I don't so much like it. Personally I think we're fine with our D line. We're going to have to keep blitzing, but I'm assuming a restructured Wynn and a healthy Daniels comes back. Mix in Clemons/Lavar at times and with Griffen and a rotation of Salave'a and Noble and we're set at D line. We'll still blitz, but that also helps keep backs in the back field, and as long as we can replace Smoot with someone at least close, assuming he walks, then we should be okay. The only change I want on defense is slightly more turnovers. Other than that - leave it alone.

Great point! When I look at the list of UFAs and RFAs, I don't see a whole lot of possibilities. Many teams will try to resign their own. Other teams have a bag load of Cap money to spend. We might overpay for FAs, and so your point is well taken. Go with what we have. Maybe we get a guy or two like last year, maybe not. Williams seemed to be so creative. I really like the turnovers idea!
Old 02-18-2005, 01:23 PM   #15
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal
Daseal is right, for those that say rookie WR's are risky and rarely pan out early in their careers the same can be said of defensive lineman, maybe even more so.

I'd be happy with the same DL unit in 2005.