Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Addressing a real need

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 03-10-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
jdlea
Playmaker

Addressing a real need

Now that we have Moss, Patten, McCants, Jacobs and Thrash I think we could get by with that receiving corps. I don't think that we will have one or two individuals really break out, but I think we could have an offense similar to that of the Pats.

Which leads me to the draft. All I've seen is that Shawn Merriman will be the first DE taken. I think we should take a look at him. I don't know much about him or if he is dominant, but I know he is a pass rusher. We didn't have much of a pass rush from our front four last year and while we did a good job of masking that, I think we need to get better up front. I think he would be a good pick at 9.
jdlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #2
SKINSnCANES
Pro Bowl

Re: Addressing a real need

If they want to go dline then this guy would be a threat, and he would suit Williams diverse playcalling because he can easily step back into the linebacker role for coverage and have someone else blitz to mix things up. Him and lavar could have a field day messing with the tackles head, or even better both blitz.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #3
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

If we WERE to go with a DE, I would say Merriman or James.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:50 AM   #4
Duffman003
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlea
but I think we could have an offense similar to that of the Pats.
the only problem is we don't have Tom Brady who is a better quarterback then Patrick
Duffman003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
skinsfanthru&thru
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman003
the only problem is we don't have Tom Brady who is a better quarterback then Patrick
smart wise yes, physical talent no. but if thats what smarts gets u over physical talent we need to us one of them, or atleast hope Brunnel drops some knowledge on Ramsey from his earlier playing days.
skinsfanthru&thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #6
jdlea
Playmaker

Clearly Brady has a better head on his shoulders when he is on the field. However, I think there are a lot of QBs who could flourish without having a number one receiver. If you run a system where you don't have to try to get a guy 100 balls a year. I think that having a system where you simply have a receiving corps is the answer in today's NFL. Especially now that corners can't touch receivers anymore.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:22 PM   #7
e16bball
Special Teams

I see the point about having a WR corps. However, to play devil's advocate, I wonder what Donovan McNabb would tell you about it not being important to have a go-to-receiver. He was a good QB before TO, but when TO came around, his statistics ALL skyrocketed. I think that kind of addition would/could really upgrade our offensive attack. A good passrushing DE would help but I don't think it would significantly upgrade our D, especially with LaVar returning. We can now attack off the edges with both of our OLBs.

So I guess my point is, if we have any chance at Mike Williams, we should jump at it. But Merriman is a pretty good consolation prize; some people think he has the tools to be a Julius Peppers type of player with his freakish athleticism. Also, the Cowboys want him badly so it would be nice to screw them over.
e16bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:24 PM   #8
jdlea
Playmaker

I agree that a number one can put your team over the top...no doubt. However, I think that Williams and Edwards are gonna be gone. So, I think they should think about a DE because I just htink it would awesome to have a great DE. I'm too young to remember Charles Mann, so I would like to see one here now.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:04 PM   #9
TheMalcolmConnection
I like big (_|_)s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e16bball
I see the point about having a WR corps. However, to play devil's advocate, I wonder what Donovan McNabb would tell you about it not being important to have a go-to-receiver. He was a good QB before TO, but when TO came around, his statistics ALL skyrocketed. I think that kind of addition would/could really upgrade our offensive attack. A good passrushing DE would help but I don't think it would significantly upgrade our D, especially with LaVar returning. We can now attack off the edges with both of our OLBs.

So I guess my point is, if we have any chance at Mike Williams, we should jump at it. But Merriman is a pretty good consolation prize; some people think he has the tools to be a Julius Peppers type of player with his freakish athleticism. Also, the Cowboys want him badly so it would be nice to screw them over.
I completely agree with that statement. If Williams is there, he's worth the chance. Again, I say what was our strength last year? Defense. What, if any, position do we need a major upgrade at? Wide receiver. So if we have a shot at Williams, I say take it.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:36 PM   #10
56FAN
Special Teams

Anybody Know What's Up With David Boston?, He Was Released And Maybe
We Could Get Him Some What Cheap. He Needs To Restart His Career. And If Big If He Is Really Healthy He Could Help Then We Can Replenish The D.
56FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:58 PM   #11
skins052bgr8
Special Teams

I like the recieving corp as well, though they may not be spectacular or that one standout, I can't figure out why Darnerian or is it Darcarian like Spurrier used to call him, can't be that red zone threat. How many times did Spurrier use that little out with McCants inside the 10 and put 6 on the board. He seems to me to be a possession receiver and even has some speed to get down field.

Is the guy a basket case, attitude problems, to worried about his singing career? I'm lost to the lack of use of him besides the special teams, but as poor as we were in the red zone. I would definitely consider bringing him in along with cooley a threat in the red zone and use betts to somewhat power the middle. Little triple threat action.
skins052bgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 12:57 PM   #12
celts32
Playmaker

I still think WR is the biggest need on the team. Ramsey is not Tom Brady...he needs a serious playmaker at WR to make this offense work.
celts32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #13
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
I still think WR is the biggest need on the team. Ramsey is not Tom Brady...he needs a serious playmaker at WR to make this offense work.

Nah I don't think it's the biggest need now, but we certainly could use another big time threat! I believe we need to make sure our offensive and defensive lines are solid.

Anybody feel the need for us to go after a good TE?
Old 03-10-2005, 06:41 PM   #14
monk81
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by celts32
But do we do this through the draft and take a chance on a young player...
we all remember Michael Westbrook never amounted to much. Something tells me Williams or Edwards won't be there at #9...so I say take the top DE Merriman, but if neither the WR nor DE is there trade down and grab someone at these positions in the later rounds. If it's Bill Parcell's that wants Merriman, I'd grab him, if it's Jerry Jones' pick.......pass
Old 03-10-2005, 01:09 PM   #15
Big C
Mr. Brightside

merriman is really small for a DE, hes a tweener, probably best suited for the outside LB in a 3-4 scheme. i dont think right now he can be a 3 down player at DE, just a situational pass rusher until he ads some bulk