Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Coronavirus (sports edition) thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 08-19-2021, 09:33 AM   #1
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Here you go Chief, some simple homework. Pay close attention to the last paragraph entitled bottom line.

https://www.nationaljewish.org/patie...a-virus-mutate

If you have information that says otherwise please feel free to share it with group, but I doubt there is any because there is only one correct answer about vaccinations and mutations.

I have copied and pasted the most important part of the paragraph below for you.

“The vaccines work well against the virus and variants. New strains can be stopped by widespread vaccination”
punch it in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:54 AM   #2
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Re: Coronavirus (sports edition) thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by punch it in View Post
Here you go Chief, some simple homework. Pay close attention to the last paragraph entitled bottom line.

If you have information that says otherwise please feel free to share it with group, but I doubt there is any because there is only one correct answer about vaccinations and mutations.

I have copied and pasted the most important part of the paragraph below for you.

“The vaccines work well against the virus and variants. New strains can be stopped by widespread vaccination”
You should have put the full quote -
Quote:
Bottom Line:
The vaccines work well against the virus and variants. New strains can be stopped by widespread vaccination. This has been shown in Israel where some 54% of the population has been vaccinated, positive virus test rates are just 0.2% and the economy has reopened.
So widespread vaccination does not equal 100% vaccination, in fact for the article's purpose widespread vaccination meant 54%, or just over half. As a country we are currently at 51.5% fully vaccinated, with atleast 60% having 1 dose.

And Schneed, you self-admittedly work in an environment where you are daily deluged with the worst of the virus, and that work is greatly appreciated. It clearly has given you a very jaded eye toward the COVID pandemic, and that is understandable. But it's not everyone's experience, and in fact in a bell curve environment you would be at the extreme tail.

Sports players would clearly fall in the other extreme of that tail. They are extremely fit, mostly not in the high or even moderate risk category for having extreme COVID symptoms, and throughout their life they have likely been in peak physical health.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:34 AM   #3
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
You should have put the full quote -

So widespread vaccination does not equal 100% vaccination, in fact for the article's purpose widespread vaccination meant 54%, or just over half. As a country we are currently at 51.5% fully vaccinated, with atleast 60% having 1 dose.

And Schneed, you self-admittedly work in an environment where you are daily deluged with the worst of the virus, and that work is greatly appreciated. It clearly has given you a very jaded eye toward the COVID pandemic, and that is understandable. But it's not everyone's experience, and in fact in a bell curve environment you would be at the extreme tail.

Sports players would clearly fall in the other extreme of that tail. They are extremely fit, mostly not in the high or even moderate risk category for having extreme COVID symptoms, and throughout their life they have likely been in peak physical health.

Oh come on C Red - it is a simple numbers game. If we are seeing progress at 54 % than obviously 100 % would be complete and total victory against the virus. Unless, again, the virus mutates into something stronger because we are not getting vaccinated fast enough.

As far as me putting the full quote- I included the entire article.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:55 AM   #4
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:

Quoting my own quote here Chief. Read the very last part in quotations than tell me again it doesn’t say widespread vaccination will help against mutations and new strains. Please.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:07 AM   #5
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Quoting my own quote here Chief. Read the very last part in quotations than tell me again it doesn’t say widespread vaccination will help against mutations and new strains. Please.
That's not the article you referenced above, but I'll continue to play.

This article - https://www.nationaljewish.org/patie...a-virus-mutate - does say new strains can be stopped by widespread vaccination.

However, I tend to lean towards the conclusion provided by the infectious disease expert - that vaccinations can keep viruses "in check", rather than the conclusion provided by the pulmonary and critical care physician - that vaccinations can be "stopped" by widespread vaccination. Ultimately he's saying that vaccinations will eradicate the virus, which I have not seen any infectious disease expert imply thus far.
Chief X_Phackter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Here is another one. You are correct about vaccines causing viruses to mutate. The virus will try its best to beat the vaccine. The problem with your point, Chief, is this is why it is not only important to get vaccinated but to get vaccinated quickly. You have done some homework no doubt, but not enough. If you keep reading about it you will understand what I am trying to tell you. Here is another article and I copy and pasted the important part again for you.

https://www.unitypoint.org/article.a...e-1317a3396dd8

The creation of a vaccine for any new virus could also cause additional mutations.

“Let’s explain this concept a little further. Any virus will keep trying to change, so it can continue to spread. With all vaccines, the more quickly people get vaccinated the better. The slower vaccination happens, the higher the chance of having mutations in the virus and the appearance of more variants. And, as we are seeing with the delta variant, the more the virus can spread in the community.

In order to keep viruses in check, everyone must do their part by getting vaccinated, and scientists must work together around the world to track emerging variants.”
Old 08-19-2021, 10:28 AM   #7
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Here is another one. You are correct about vaccines causing viruses to mutate. The virus will try its best to beat the vaccine. The problem with your point, Chief, is this is why it is not only important to get vaccinated but to get vaccinated quickly. You have done some homework no doubt, but not enough. If you keep reading about it you will understand what I am trying to tell you. Here is another article and I copy and pasted the important part again for you.

https://www.unitypoint.org/article.a...e-1317a3396dd8

The creation of a vaccine for any new virus could also cause additional mutations.

“Let’s explain this concept a little further. Any virus will keep trying to change, so it can continue to spread. With all vaccines, the more quickly people get vaccinated the better. The slower vaccination happens, the higher the chance of having mutations in the virus and the appearance of more variants. And, as we are seeing with the delta variant, the more the virus can spread in the community.

In order to keep viruses in check, everyone must do their part by getting vaccinated, and scientists must work together around the world to track emerging variants.”
I actually posted that article yesterday.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:37 AM   #8
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
I actually posted that article yesterday.

You may have posted it but you obviously only read that first blurb that seemed to back you up. If you read further it explains exactly what I am saying. Widespread vaccination will stop the variants and mutations. Which is the total opposite of what you said.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:44 AM   #9
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
You may have posted it but you obviously only read that first blurb that seemed to back you up. If you read further it explains exactly what I am saying. Widespread vaccination will stop the variants and mutations. Which is the total opposite of what you said.
Nothing in that article says that widespread vaccination will stop the variants and mutations. Keep making thing up Punch...
Old 08-19-2021, 10:52 AM   #10
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Nothing in that article says that widespread vaccination will stop the variants and mutations. Keep making thing up Punch...

Ok now you are just wasting my time. Ill copy and paste from the article one more time.

In order to keep viruses in check, everyone must do their part by getting vaccinated, and scientists must work together around the world to track emerging variant

Either you are fucking with me or im in the god damn twilight zone.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:40 AM   #11
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

The bottom line here Chief and C red is the more people get vaccinated and the quicker they get vaccinated the sooner the world goes back to normal.

If you want to argue that point go ahead. But than you are contributing to the problem in a way. You are basically saying “everyone isn’t gonna get the shot so why should it matter if I do”. Before you tell me im putting words in your mouth Chief carefully read your last post. You said exactly that.

Seems like everyone is in agreement that the vaccine would work if enough people get it so how in the hell am I hearing a defense of saying “get it if you want it”? How? This is just arguing to argue.

I go back to my world is on fire and everyone is given a fire extinguisher. If everyone used it the fire would ho out BUT people start saying “you can’t make me use this” and “use it if you want to”. Im sorry guys but I am confused by whatever point it is you are trying to make. Enjoy your day fellas.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #12
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
The bottom line here Chief and C red is the more people get vaccinated and the quicker they get vaccinated the sooner the world goes back to normal.

If you want to argue that point go ahead. But than you are contributing to the problem in a way. You are basically saying “everyone isn’t gonna get the shot so why should it matter if I do”. Before you tell me im putting words in your mouth Chief carefully read your last post. You said exactly that.
Again, leave the brick wall alone. I never said: “everyone isn’t gonna get the shot so why should it matter if I do”
Old 08-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #13
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Is there anyone else on this board that cares to explain how and why widespread vaccination can stop mutations and new strains ? My head hurts.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:14 PM   #14
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Is there anyone else on this board that cares to explain how and why widespread vaccination can stop mutations and new strains ? My head hurts.
Hey, I asked to lock this thread and leave COVID to the Parking Lot and Politics threads. Personally, the sports side of this is the only thing that should be discussed in this one, and to that end, whether the 20% of the Pro Football players that don't want to get vaccinated do or do not get the jab, it isn't going to impact the global mutation of the virus.

The NFL policies are fairly random, punitive and not really meant to affect global mutation rate.

Fairly random because why should vaccination affect testing. Simply put, that is an incentive that actually can lead to a higher spread within an infected facility.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:50 PM   #15
punch it in
From a Land Down Under

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
Hey, I asked to lock this thread and leave COVID to the Parking Lot and Politics threads. Personally, the sports side of this is the only thing that should be discussed in this one, and to that end, whether the 20% of the Pro Football players that don't want to get vaccinated do or do not get the jab, it isn't going to impact the global mutation of the virus.

The NFL policies are fairly random, punitive and not really meant to affect global mutation rate.

Fairly random because why should vaccination affect testing. Simply put, that is an incentive that actually can lead to a higher spread within an infected facility.

20 percent of a small number of people isn’t going to change anything provided that that small number of unvaccinated nfl players isn’t helping to spread the virus in clubs, gyms, locker rooms, etc etc. NFL players are rock stars man. Everyone wants to be around them. Remember C Red this started with one individual. That one individual sure affected the global mutation rate.