ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 06-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #61
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Re: ESPN: Teams that are helped/hurt by the new salary cap proposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Why the hate for Franklin? Does he have a reputation as being a lazy player?
Haven't heard if he's lazy. But you compare him to Shaun Rogers, a player that numerous people were skeptical about before he signed with New Orleans after visiting here, and there's no question that 1)Rogers is going to age better than Franklin and 2)Rogers is worth more money than Franklin.

Rogers signed for one-year, $4 million. Franklin could reasonably expect to get 3/25 or something bigger. Point is, one player is going to get the kind of deal that the Redskins have always been guilty of giving out (one that can't be outperformed), and the other is almost certainly going to offer surplus value.

Advertisements
Old 06-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #62
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTripp0012 View Post
Clayton's salary cap estimate seems low. I wish he had shown his work. $120 million would be really tight, both compared to recent history, and compared to what reported estimates of the revenue pie suggest.

I worked off the reported $9 billion total revenue figure and got a salary cap of $135 million. It's possible the $9 billion figure is just made up, but Clayton appears to be using an $8 billion revenue figure. Which could be accurate, but I don't think that information is publicly available.
Player benefits must be included. Once player benefits are factored in, then salaries likely will be around $120 mil., so the salary cap will be around $120 mil.

I can't guarantee that is how things will shake out, of course. Just sayin' that Clayton's numbers likely include a benefits deduction.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #63
Schneed10
A Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Player benefits must be included. Once player benefits are factored in, then salaries likely will be around $120 mil., so the salary cap will be around $120 mil.

I can't guarantee that is how things will shake out, of course. Just sayin' that Clayton's numbers likely include a benefits deduction.
This, plus the new retirement benefits they agreed to for the retired players. That's probably a part of the 48% going to the players.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #64
SkinzWin
Playmaker

Quote:
Clayton's salary cap estimate seems low. I wish he had shown his work. $120 million would be really tight, both compared to recent history, and compared to what reported estimates of the revenue pie suggest.

I worked off the reported $9 billion total revenue figure and got a salary cap of $135 million. It's possible the $9 billion figure is just made up, but Clayton appears to be using an $8 billion revenue figure. Which could be accurate, but I don't think that information is publicly available.
After doing some reading about the negotiations going on, I can't find the article I read to save my life, it appears that from my recollection that under the old CBA the 9 billion came from a billion in breaks and kickbacks the owners received. If the new negotiations continue in the way they are headed, the owners would not get that billion in kickbacks but would instead have the revenue sharing formula simplified and somehow adjusted in their favor in place of not receiving the kickbacks. That would put Clayton at his estimation of 8 billion.
Sean Taylor #21 a Redskin forever...

Team Heinicke Fan Club
punch it in - CEO
SkinzWin - President
FrenchSkin - VP of Global Operations
ODUsmitty - Director of Cheerleader Fulfillment
Meks - Director of Marketing
SkinzWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #65
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Haven't heard if he's lazy. But you compare him to Shaun Rogers, a player that numerous people were skeptical about before he signed with New Orleans after visiting here, and there's no question that 1)Rogers is going to age better than Franklin and 2)Rogers is worth more money than Franklin.

Rogers signed for one-year, $4 million. Franklin could reasonably expect to get 3/25 or something bigger. Point is, one player is going to get the kind of deal that the Redskins have always been guilty of giving out (one that can't be outperformed), and the other is almost certainly going to offer surplus value.
I was pleasantly surprised w/Anthony Bryant last year & was hoping the coaches felt he could start & then the rook from WV might back him up. The D played a couple of its best games w/bryant in there.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #66
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:

wasn't aware that rogers got 4 mil from new orleans. pretty surprising.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #67
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddyg12 View Post
I was pleasantly surprised w/Anthony Bryant last year & was hoping the coaches felt he could start & then the rook from WV might back him up. The D played a couple of its best games w/bryant in there.
agreed!
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #68
Ruhskins
Living Legend

Quote:

I thought that there were some health questions regarding Rogers. I know he was okay last season, but missed some time in 2009. Also, I wonder if Rogers wanted to be more of a 4-3 DT (hence the move to NO), since Cleveland moved him to a 3-4 DE last season.

I do believe Franklin will be expensive. I think at this point I'd rather have a veteran 3-4 NT that won't be too expensive and see how Bryant and the rookies we picked up develop. I guess Kris Jenkins is still out there, but he is even more of a question mark than Rogers is...so who knows. On the other hand, I would hate to go into this season with a patchwork NT, especially when we seem to have good DEs and two young/talented OLBs.
R.I.P. #21
Ruhskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:37 PM   #69
1niksder
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneed10 View Post
None left to be paid, but lots left to be allocated on the salary cap books.
Not much left on the cap books because when AH didn't show for OTAs last season he voided the last $5.4M that was guaranteed in 2011.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.I. Halsell
In his infamous $100 million contract of 2009, Haynesworth had a $21 million option bonus. As part of the deal, the Redskins reserved the right to convert that option bonus to signing bonus, and that’s exactly what they did according to league sources. However, they did this conversion with a slight twist. Not only did they convert the option bonus to a $21 million signing bonus, but they also added a voidable provision by which if Haynesworth pays back $16.8 million of the signing bonus, then the 2011 – 2014 contract years void away. From a team salary accounting standpoint, because the voidable is solely in the player’s control, the proration of the signing bonus does not go into 2011 – 2014, meaning all of the $21 million signing bonus counts in the uncapped year of 2010. As a result, Haynesworth’s team salary number in 2010 went from $8.8 million to a whopping $25.6 million. His subsequent team salary numbers are $6.4 million, $8.2 million, $10 million, $10.8 million, and $12.8 million respectively. With this new voidable provision, if Haynesworth decides he's unhappy with his role in the Redskins' new 3-4 defense and he can come to an agreement in principle with a new team that would guarantee him the $16.8 million he'd have to pay back to the Redskins, then in theory 2010 could Haynesworth's last year in Washington
1niksder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #70
1niksder
Camp Scrub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1niksder View Post
Not much left on the cap books because when AH didn't show for OTAs last season he voided the last $5.4M that was guaranteed in 2011.
INSIDE THE CAP with J.I. Halsell: March 2010

Was limited by post count so I couldn't include a link above.

Letting AH go should be around $1M in dead cap

D Hall's contract was re-worked the same way
1niksder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #71
musicmaster45
Special Teams

I still dont want Albert in the locker room if were trying for a culture change. Thats what the Kerrigan pick was and the whole draft for that matter. We almost exclusively went for guys who were hard workers and come to play. Trade him for a 4 or 5 round pick. it would make me so happy. Same with McNabb for that matter.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #72
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

According to PFT CB Ike Taylor is high on the Eagles Radar, and Stephen Tullouch could be an option for us.

Also does anyone know if Nnamdi would fit our defense/why he really hasn't been linked to us?
Old 06-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #73
CultBrennan59
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CultBrennan59 View Post
According to PFT CB Ike Taylor is high on the Eagles Radar, and Stephen Tullouch could be an option for us.

Also does anyone know if Nnamdi would fit our defense/why he really hasn't been linked to us?
Kind of answered my question here

Ten free-agent deals that make too much sense - NFL - CBSSports.com Football
Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #74
sandtrapjack
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
NFL: Teams most hurt, helped by salary-cap proposal - ESPN

Positive news indeed this potential off-season. Danny boy gets to blow some cash!!

Can't wait till the new CBA is finished so we can get to filling in some of our holes currently.

As a bonus, Dallas is getting screwed.
Columbo is history regardless of salary cap adjustments. Marion Barber will probably get his release as well. Thats why they drafted Tyron Smith and DeMarco Murray. And with the rookie salary pool all but a certainty, the dollars saved could be spread elsewhere.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:24 AM   #75
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
Columbo is history regardless of salary cap adjustments. Marion Barber will probably get his release as well. Thats why they drafted Tyron Smith and DeMarco Murray. And with the rookie salary pool all but a certainty, the dollars saved could be spread elsewhere.
That's sad. Barber is a cowboy, but I always liked his tenacious style. Will miss seeing him w/dallas. I was hoping Landry would at least get to tacklie him by grabbing his dreads one good time!
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote