Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Post draft breakdown

Locker Room Main Forum

View Poll Results: What is your way too early draft grade for the '21 WFT class?
A 14 23.33%
B 32 53.33%
C 8 13.33%
D 5 8.33%
F 1 1.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2021, 09:19 AM   #1
MTK
\m/

Post draft breakdown

This should be the final draft related thread for 2021 lol

Washington gets good grades for their 2021 draft class

I just went back and listened to Greg Cosell on the Ross Tucker podcast break down the LB group coming into this draft and he LOVED Davis, said he has elite traits.

Advertisements
Old 05-03-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Post draft breakdown

Overall the lowest grade I've seen across any platform is a B.

I think we finally have a great group running the show folks. This team with its new identity and all that will gain more fans now.
Old 05-03-2021, 09:49 AM   #3
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

My biggest head scratcher is the CB from Minnesota, I thought there were better options.

I’ve heard scouting reports say he could play single high safety. Versatility is the big thing.

After we took the WR from UNC, this pick was much less of an issue from value standpoint as that was a steal.

Another reach to me was the TE from Boise state, but trusting the coaching staff as Logan Thomas exceeded everyone’s expectations not only here but across the league.

Cosmi, Davis, Brown, Toney were great picks. I think adding RB Patterson was big time, that was icing on the cake cause I think he will make the team if he can prove he can catch out the backfield.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:10 AM   #4
SunnySide
Playmaker

Insert the "you cant grade a draft until 3 years later" mantra

We targeted physical abilities over production it seems. Davis, Cosmi, St Juste, Brown, Forrest all seem to be at the top end of athleticism. We are banking on them being able to be coached up and continue to improve.

Im somewhat left with the impression we just drafted our board vs reacting to how the draft played out. Seems like we drafted guys who RR interviewed with personally.

Especially that 4R on a blocking TE that by all looks was a pretty big reach. But he interviewed with RR personally. They have a good conversation ... suddenly we are picking him in the 4th when he was projected to be a 6th or UDFA.

I feel like the personal interviews steered our decisions vs being reactive to the board and who is dropping etc. I dont think we went BPA .. or our board favors physical stats vs film/playing stats
SunnySide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #5
EdmundDorf
The Starter

I had my breakdown during the draft

Makes me smile to see so many talking heads and internet experts think they know more than RR and JDR when it come to playing, coaching and drafting linebackers.
EdmundDorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #6
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Insert the "you cant grade a draft until 3 years later" mantra

We targeted physical abilities over production it seems. Davis, Cosmi, St Juste, Brown, Forrest all seem to be at the top end of athleticism. We are banking on them being able to be coached up and continue to improve.

Im somewhat left with the impression we just drafted our board vs reacting to how the draft played out. Seems like we drafted guys who RR interviewed with personally.

Especially that 4R on a blocking TE that by all looks was a pretty big reach. But he interviewed with RR personally. They have a good conversation ... suddenly we are picking him in the 4th when he was projected to be a 6th or UDFA.

I feel like the personal interviews steered our decisions vs being reactive to the board and who is dropping etc. I dont think we went BPA .. or our board favors physical stats vs film/playing stats
I suppose with so much uncertainty with evaluations and health this year they went with the find team first football players plan, cannot really condemn them for that though I agree a blocking tight end in the 4th seems a bit of a reach
Old 05-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #7
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I have us a 'B' only because there were a couple of players we missed on that I would have liked to get when available like JOK, CB Elijah Molden, TE Tommy Trembel, LB Jabril Cox and WR Jaelon Darden who all slid further than they should have...but I am happy that Rivera had a plan and stuck to it. He watched the tape, so I trust him.

Well, you can't complain with the approach, we filled nearly every need. LB and LT were the most urgent positions and they were filled with potential stars in the league.

LB - Biggest need, potentially GREAT player picked
LT - Starter-quality player. The position is finally fixed post-Trent Williams.
CB - We have 2 solid starters already but lacked depth and a impact slot CB. Got one.
WR - Steal of our draft, made a good WR group one of the deeper in the NFL
TE - Big need for a backup TE. We took a solid, athletic blocking TE that will have a role.
S - Solid depth pick.
LS - We needed one and got one of the best available who could be here 15 years like Sundberg, Better to draft a talented one than look for a re-tread FA.
DE -If Kerrigan's not coming back, we need depth. Took two with good potential.
WR - Let's see what this last pick can do on special teams, we still need an improvement in the return game over Sims, Jr. who won't be making this team with all of the WR depth we have.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:38 AM   #8
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

I gave them a B in the poll. Overall, this grade comes down to trust. Do you trust that RR and JDR can draft the defensive players that will fit and possibly excel. Yes, so I think the defensive side gets an A because the athleticism combined with fit should enable many to be depth or better for years to come. On the offensive side, my trust in RR and Turner is not as high. I think they are still reaching and trying to find the identity that will work, so I have much less confidence in that side of the ball, and thus the B/C grade for offense. Hopefully when it all comes together, the team will see the value across the board.
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:03 AM   #9
SunnySide
Playmaker

Cosmi has really short arms .. 33" putting him in the lowest 12 percent for NFL tackles. Wingspan in the 22 percentile.

Arm length isnt the end all for tackles but its pretty important

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/samuel-cosmi
Old 05-03-2021, 11:05 AM   #10
EdmundDorf
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnySide View Post
Cosmi has really short arms .. 33" putting him in the lowest 12 percent for NFL tackles. Wingspan in the 22 percentile.

Arm length isnt the end all for tackles but its pretty important

https://www.mockdraftable.com/player/samuel-cosmi
In the film I saw his arms looked plenty long enough, but he needs to polish up his technique being described as a waist rather than knee bender which is down to the coaches
Old 05-03-2021, 11:14 AM   #11
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

One thing for sure, our line is deep and solid.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #12
EdmundDorf
The Starter

I think we can bid adieu to Wes Martin and Geron Christian. Saddiq Charles gives them a genuine backup OT option if they play him at guard.
Old 05-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #13
sdskinsfan2001
Living Legend

I like the draft. Don't love it.

Brown was an absolute steal. We really fixed up that WR room this offseason.

I like Cosmi. Super athletic. His height and athletic ability should be more than enough to overcome any short arm issues. I think he starts game 1, and we have an excellent swing tackle in Lucas. If Cosmi can play and Charles is healthy, our OLine depth is really good.
sdskinsfan2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:58 AM   #14
AnonEmouse
The Starter

B
We didn't land an out and out star, at least as it looks right now, but I'd rather get 8 guys that can challenge the current roster, if not start, than bust out completely on the top rounds and be left with ST players at best. I reckon at least 5 of these guys will make the roster and 2-3 will be on the PS hopefully. I'd only pencil in Jamin and Cosmi as likely starters right now, but Brown could easily be pushing for the #4 or 5 WR position, maybe even #3.
AnonEmouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #15
SunnySide
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdskinsfan2001 View Post
I like the draft. Don't love it.

Brown was an absolute steal. We really fixed up that WR room this offseason.

I like Cosmi. Super athletic. His height and athletic ability should be more than enough to overcome any short arm issues. I think he starts game 1, and we have an excellent swing tackle in Lucas. If Cosmi can play and Charles is healthy, our OLine depth is really good.
Yeah if Lucas could be our swing tackle, that would be awesome. You need 3 starting caliber tackles bc with injuries, that swing guy might end up taking more snaps then your week 1 starters. I always feel bad for the Lucas and Nshecke's of the world, always the brides maid and never the bride. Vitally important and has skills to be a low end starter but gets the step brother role.

Cosmi is off the charts strong, 99th percentile. Cant wait to see him, Matty I and Payne lifting together.

Wr Brown .. I nothing about the guy but everyone is raving about him, seems to have that uncanny Desean Jackson ability to track, adjust and catch those long over the shoulder balls.

Exciting times to see an atheletic LB, OT, CB and WR added to the mix. Plus CB Jackson and WR Samuel in FA.