Smackin' it down

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #46
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Re: Smackin' it down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMScud View Post
And like people have already stated- Kyle Shanahan. I just don't think he's a good coordinator. His play design is really solid- guys are open all the time, we just don't have a QB. But his playcalling is terrible. 46 passing attempts with Rex freaking Grossman? Throwing that much in the 4th qtr when only down one score? Pffffft....

This

Advertisements
Old 12-06-2011, 12:52 AM   #47
diehard
The Starter

Smack Helu for the fumble.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:08 PM   #48
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontrem View Post
I could be wrong but I think it is running into the kicker if they hit the plant leg and roughing if they hit the kicking leg....I could be wrong but I think I recently heard this on one of the broadcasts.
I believe it is the other way around. Hit the kicking leg and it is running into the kicker; hit the plant leg and it is roughing.

Either way, it is in the rules so the call is pretty automatic with not a lot of room for interpretation by the official.
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #49
sportscurmudgeon
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
The Packer had basically the same pass to run ratio as we did yesterday...so really, all we need is Aaron Rodgers

Seriously though, I don't know what the reasoning was for going such large spurts without running. The red zone offense after the fumble was terrible. Plenty of time and time outs and we wasted it. But that's also on Mike. Because while Kyle handles the red zone offense, Mike manages the time outs. They have to be working in sync there'

By the way, did anyone see this article? Great read

One play can alter a season - The Washington Post

Indeed, Aaron Rodgers would make Bozo the Clown look good as an offensive coordinator...
sportscurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:22 AM   #50
Jontrem
Impact Rookie

Tough to find a clear interpretation of this rule but this is the closest I could find http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_(American_football) seems to say roughing is the kicking leg.
Jontrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:37 AM   #51
That Guy
Living Legend

you can download the nfl's official rules i'm pretty sure... i used to have a copy. It's pretty long and boring though.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:41 AM   #52
MTK
\m/

I'm not sure it matters which leg you run into. I thought it has to do with whether you have the ability to pull up and do so to avoid contact or not. With the play on Rocca the defender definitely had time to pull up and didn't do so, so it should have been a 15 yarder.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:19 PM   #53
EARTHQUAKE2689
You did WHAT?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
I'm not sure it matters which leg you run into. I thought it has to do with whether you have the ability to pull up and do so to avoid contact or not. With the play on Rocca the defender definitely had time to pull up and didn't do so, so it should have been a 15 yarder.
Maybe they should get rid of the 5 yarder like they did the facemask. There is no running into the passer.

Shameless self-promotion. It is what it is.
EARTHQUAKE2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #54
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontrem View Post
Tough to find a clear interpretation of this rule but this is the closest I could find http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penalty_(American_football) seems to say roughing is the kicking leg.
Other way around. Contact to the kicking leg is generally running into the kicker (mainly because they know you're going for the ball). But contact to the non kicking leg or another part of the body is generally roughing. The biggest thing, of course, is whether the kicker falls to the ground. If they just get moved then it's usually running into. A takedown is roughing
Old 12-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #55
Giantone
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
. The biggest thing, of course, is whether the kicker falls to the ground. If they just get moved then it's usually running into. A takedown is roughing

A good punter knows how to " take a dive" for the good of the team.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:35 AM   #56
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbedner3420 View Post
What are you talking about? People need to stop bitching. Kyle is actually a really good coordinator. He is a mediocre playcaller, but he seems to be pretty decent at the OC position. Mike probably should handle more playcalling duties, though.
Sorry, but could you elaborate on this? In what ways is Kyle a good offensive coordinator other than playcalling?
Old 12-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #57
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
John Kiem consistently points out Kyle's major failing as a play caller. He calls the game based on talent he wishes he had rather than for the talent he has. The play calls are far too aggressive for Rex Grossman who can't make good decisions and talent at the WR position we simply don't have. If we get the talent we need (QB, 2 quality WR, RT) to execute his game plans and play calls I think we could have a dynamic offense. Nobody with knowledge of the game (scouts, players, analysts) think Kyle designs poor plays or is in over his head, he's just like his dad, aggressive, arrogant and stubborn.

Our biggest offensive issue is a severe lack of talent, not the guy calling the plays. If he called the plays to suit our talent we may not get more than 6 first downs a game. Do some of you really understand how poor our offensive talent is? At WR and just off the top of my head I can name 6 WR in the division better than any we have on our roster.. Nicks, Cruz, Bryant, Austin, Jackson, Maclin. A case could be made for Moss but it's an emotional one, not based on talent or current levels of production. Let's get the necessary talent in place, then judge the quality of the coaching.
This is where I credit Joe Gibbs a lot, even during his second stint as coach. He knew he didn't have Joe Montana or Tom Brady under center, and he knew in his second stint that he didn't have Jerry Rice at WR, so he called plays for the talent we had. Of course, the play calling seemed pretty vanilla for most of our tastes, but in hindsight, it's probably what Gibbs had to do.