Zorn nowhere near considering a QB change

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-06-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Zorn nowhere near considering a QB change

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Sports Bog

"What would cause you to sort of make a change at that position?" Kevin Sheehan asked Zorn.

"I think if the quarterback was completely, first of all if he was just unsure of what he was doing," Zorn said. "If I called a play and he was either throwing the ball or reading or not reading or not creating on the line of scrimmage that confidence, changing the protection or just trying to execute the play. If that happened over and over again, I would definitely make a change. And yet I felt Jason was fully into the game. He was very competitive. You know, it gets frustrating, it got frustrating early, but he hung in there very well. He had some glitches here and there because he started to move on from reads quicker than the receiver had the ability to run his route. You know, he was already on to the second guy because he wasn't sure of protection, but he didn't lose confidence in the play, in the call, in his ability to execute it. And again in the second half, it was a chance for us to take a breath at halftime and then come back out, and we executed better in the second half."

Or, to put it another way, "Nothing."
D.C. Sports Bog - What Would Make Zorn Bench Campbell?

Hopefully we can focus on other areas of the team that are bigger problems than the QB play. Coming off of a win from his worst game as a pro, let's spend our time & energy in other areas.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #2
BigHairedAristocrat
Playmaker

Re: Zorn nowhere near considering a QB change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintrain View Post
Hopefully we can focus on other areas of the team that are bigger problems than the QB play. Coming off of a win from his worst game as a pro, let's spend our time & energy in other areas.
A QB change would be foolish now. Campbell is far and away the best QB on our roster right now (you know, between him and Todd, since we only have 2 QBs) and if we benched Campbell, all it would do is give the Campbell-lovers here a reason to complain. Campbell needs to continue playing, if only to prove to all of you, once and for all, that he's not a #1 QB material.
Dolphins get good press for saving drowning humans.But we only hear about the swimmers theyve pushed ashore.You know who we havent heard from: all the people theyve pushed out to sea.Dolphins dont know what theyre doing-they just like pushing things.
BigHairedAristocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
53Fan
Franchise Player

JC brought the team back and won. A QB change would be foolish.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

He had a terrible game, but I think there was something physically wrong. Either he had hurt is hand or hiding some other type of injury, because his passes seemed quite off in the first half. However, how many QBs can turn the ball over four times (three INTs one fumble) and still bring his team back for a win? Not too many! Usually when you turn the ball over more than three times, you lose the game.

Campbell hung in there, played better in the second half, and brought his team back from behind to win. I definitely believe Campbell is the clear best option for our team. However, I'm wondering what is going to happen to him after the season? Yes I know, let's worry about that after the season. But you can't help to have that in the back of your mind.
Old 10-06-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
CancunCantinaBartender
Camp Scrub

Overall his numbers are solid.

Watching the MNF game last night, I was amazed at the time the Minnesota line gave Favre. Campbell has no option but to either throw it quick or scramble. I remember the days of the Hogs... do you think it was the QBs (3 different SB QBs) or the the work of the line?? Give him a line and time and we excell.

Watching the game in person on Sunday was rough during the first half and fantastic during the second half (especially the 3rd quarter). If you look at the QB rating alone 1st half vs. 2nd half, that really tells the story. Watching it again on tape that night really shows the overall play of the QB. I will admit he was nowhere near accurate in the 1st half, but look at the pressure TB put on him.

Four turnovers is unheard of from JC. I was amazed to read that 3 INTs was the most he had ever thrown since starting to play football. And keep in mind that one of those INTs was a deflection after nailing the referee!!

And I am in complete agreement that he is the best QB on the roster. I hope he begins to shine, because I do not like the looks of Tebo or McCoy as top prospect NFL QBs. I can see Dannyboy overspending and wasting draft picks to go after the next "big name" rookie QB.
CancunCantinaBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Let's also remember that in a West Coast offense, it is all about timing. So, our OL's protection scheme may not have to be like it was in the glory days of Joe Gibbs. This offense appears to be built off of short timing passes which requires the QB to be a quick thinker and to react quickly.

In the days of the hogs, totally different offense as far as the passing schemes were concerned.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Chevy13
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancunCantinaBartender View Post
Overall his numbers are solid.

Watching the MNF game last night, I was amazed at the time the Minnesota line gave Favre. Campbell has no option but to either throw it quick or scramble. I remember the days of the Hogs... do you think it was the QBs (3 different SB QBs) or the the work of the line?? Give him a line and time and we excell.

Watching the game in person on Sunday was rough during the first half and fantastic during the second half (especially the 3rd quarter). If you look at the QB rating alone 1st half vs. 2nd half, that really tells the story. Watching it again on tape that night really shows the overall play of the QB. I will admit he was nowhere near accurate in the 1st half, but look at the pressure TB put on him.

Four turnovers is unheard of from JC. I was amazed to read that 3 INTs was the most he had ever thrown since starting to play football. And keep in mind that one of those INTs was a deflection after nailing the referee!!

And I am in complete agreement that he is the best QB on the roster. I hope he begins to shine, because I do not like the looks of Tebo or McCoy as top prospect NFL QBs. I can see Dannyboy overspending and wasting draft picks to go after the next "big name" rookie QB.
Also by watching the MNF game I noticed Rodgers didn't have too much time (sacked 8 times) and he still throw for 384 yards and 2TD's with 1 pick not bad for a QB being pressured and hit so much, not bad for a QB who was on his 20th start. It is my opinion that JC will never be a dynamic QB like what Rodgers could potentially be. I think it'd be stupid to sit him now because wether he'll be a big time QB or not he's still playing well and is one of the very few bright spots of the team. I just cant help but notice that young QB's like rodgers (with half as many starts) just look like they have something special that JC will probably never have. I hope I'm wrong and he starts stepping it up even more and starts throwing some TDs (or find a coach that can call some plays that can actually help us score)
Chevy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

I hope Tod Collins doesn't start playing until the weekend after next.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #9
tryfuhl
Gamebreaker

I want to see Campbell keep his eyes down the field field.. maybe a few fake looks/pumps to throw the D off, something that Favre does well and really showed off Monday night. When's the last time Campbell really did any of that?
tryfuhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:24 PM   #10
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryfuhl View Post
I want to see Campbell keep his eyes down the field field.. maybe a few fake looks/pumps to throw the D off, something that Favre does well and really showed off Monday night. When's the last time Campbell really did any of that?
When was the last time we ran multiple vertical routes on the same play?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
Longtimefan
Playmaker

He's got to live and/or die with Campbell in an effort to complete the job he was origionally brought here to do. Barring injury or just horrible play, Campbell will be the man.
Longtimefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #12
JLee9718
Impact Rookie

There needs to be changes in the O-Line...The QB play would definitely improve. However, since you can't do too much with the O-Line, then a change to Collins should be considered IF he could get rid of the ball faster than JC.
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:15 PM   #13
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
He had a terrible game, but I think there was something physically wrong. Either he had hurt is hand or hiding some other type of injury, because his passes seemed quite off in the first half. However, how many QBs can turn the ball over four times (three INTs one fumble) and still bring his team back for a win? Not too many! Usually when you turn the ball over more than three times, you lose the game.

Campbell hung in there, played better in the second half, and brought his team back from behind to win. I definitely believe Campbell is the clear best option for our team. However, I'm wondering what is going to happen to him after the season? Yes I know, let's worry about that after the season. But you can't help to have that in the back of your mind.
He had a slightly sprained ankle the week before. I am sure they gave him pain killers. But I am sure he still felt it. I saw him hop a little on a couple of his throws.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
Paintrain
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvskinzfan08 View Post
He had a slightly sprained ankle the week before. I am sure they gave him pain killers. But I am sure he still felt it. I saw him hop a little on a couple of his throws.
Zorn also mentioned on WPL yesterday that he dinged his right shoulder on the 1st sack he took on the 1st drive. That would explain (as the announcers pointed out) why he was so erratic in the 1st half.

I'm not dead but this team is dead to me...but now that McCloughan is here they may have new life!

Jay Gruden = Zorny McSpurrier
Kirk Cousins = Next Grossman
Paintrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:19 PM   #15
dmvskinzfan08
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy13 View Post
Also by watching the MNF game I noticed Rodgers didn't have too much time (sacked 8 times) and he still throw for 384 yards and 2TD's with 1 pick not bad for a QB being pressured and hit so much, not bad for a QB who was on his 20th start. It is my opinion that JC will never be a dynamic QB like what Rodgers could potentially be. I think it'd be stupid to sit him now because wether he'll be a big time QB or not he's still playing well and is one of the very few bright spots of the team. I just cant help but notice that young QB's like rodgers (with half as many starts) just look like they have something special that JC will probably never have. I hope I'm wrong and he starts stepping it up even more and starts throwing some TDs (or find a coach that can call some plays that can actually help us score)
I guess the difference is JC played bad and still won. Eventhough that doesn't matter much around here. I am sure things will be brought to the light with Sherm Lewis.

Rodgers came out the same year as Campbell. If Campbell learned from Favre I am sure he wold be a much better QB also. People dont understand how much you learn holding a clip board and watching the nuances of a Hall of Famer. Or just being able to sit back and learn a system for a few years until you are comfortable in a offense.
HTTR 09 - RIP#21
HATERS << Misery Loves Company
dmvskinzfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote