Future/Rebuild/Good News?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 10-12-2009, 04:11 PM   #31
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Re: Future/Rebuild/Good News?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskin Warrior View Post
We need to keep JC as a backup at least but where is Moss?
Trade.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 10-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #32
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscurmudgeon View Post
Trample the Elderly:

Why are you so sure Danny Boy is hampered solely by his ego? Because he made a lot of money in industry? By that logic, Bill Gates would be a GREAT NFL owner who would win all the time.

Why are you sure that Vinny will be gone next year? Recall that Vinny has survived years of 5-11 that were as brutally ugly as these first few weeks of 2009 have been - - and he is still here. Vinny is Danny Boy's racket ball opponent; Vinny enables Danny Boy's urge to meddle and to treat the team as a fantasy football team. What makes you sure Danny Boy wants him gone? The last time Vinny was gone was that horrible time when Marty Schottenheimer ran the team and wouldn't let Danny Boy do anything except sit in the owners' box. That ain't happenin' again...

This is not true of every player on the roster but it is true about a whole lot of them: They are here for the payday they get from signing with Danny Boy and they don't care as much about the Burgandy and Gold as half the fans do. You think a bunch have checked out on the season; you are absolutely right. But they aren't going to leave town with any time left on their fat contracts unless they are kicked out by whomever makes the personnel decisions here - - and that would be Vinny and Danny Boy the guys who signed them in the first place.

If you think I'm exaggerating in that last point, look at the games so far this year. Is Albert Haynesworth playing like a guy who is WORTH a $100M contract with $40+M guaranteed? He's not playing badly; he's actually playing well; but worth that much? Same goes for a boatload of other FAs who come in here and play just hard enough to keep their jobs. It's been happening for a while now; only Vinny and Danny Boy don't seem to notice.
It's just my opinion on Danny. I don't know the man but I can see what he's done with this team. He makes good financial transactions outside of football or he'd not be able to afford to buy the Skins in the first place. When you fire the only guy who wants the job and has the respect of the team (Williams) that points to ego. When you replace Al Saunders with a QB coach, that is just stupidity. Danny may have other problems, but his ego is the most transparent. Gibbs may have many flaws, but he did leave something that could be built upon. Why tear it apart?

As far as Vinny goes that's my opinion too. They pay way too much for such a bust? You'd think they'd learn their lesson. That would be the only good news for me. Everyone knew we had offensive problems but we add no offensive line men?

No, I didn't think Haynesworth was worth the money, but that was a deal compared to Dockerry and Hall.

I'm just saying what will be good news for me. If I don't see a mix up in management I'm out.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #33
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Kind of a small sample size to base it on don't you think? I'm not convinced he's a better choice than Campbell at this point.
very small sample size. but i think just about every position on offense needs competition.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #34
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlmpetert View Post
I see no reason to get rid of or replace Campbell. No one is going to do much better in the current circumstances.

I will also add that i am also officially fed up. The Redskins are not only bad but are the least exciting team to watch. Ive fallen asleep during the last 3 games. I just dont really care anymore about this seasons. I love them, but I just dont care right now.
I totally agree regarding Campbell. Snyerato has made little effort over the last 5 years to add quality young depth on the O-line.

I can definitely see the fan base getting fed up to the point that another few years of this crap, home blackouts are not out of the question. I split season tix with a neighbor until 2006, but I ignore calls from the Danny's marketing folks trying to get me to buy back in. Give us a better product, and only then will I consider giving you my hard earned money.

Last edited by SouperMeister; 10-12-2009 at 04:49 PM.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:31 PM   #35
JLee9718
Impact Rookie

The defense is NOT set. We have some good players, but the older players have some issues with the size of Haynesworth's contract (i.e., for a part-time player). I thought the run defense was much better last year, and the pass defense looked better last year. So maybe we've regressed on defense.

The O-Line was better last year, and the Skins have to do something there pretty soon. Zorn is not the problem, but Vinny is (along with Snyder). As far as Flacco and Ryan are concerned, they went to teams with a strong running game, plus solid O-Lines. Portis looks like he's slowed down quite a bit, and he's complaining about Sellers not blocking for him? How about speeding up some, CP!
JLee9718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #36
freddyg12
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee9718 View Post
The defense is NOT set. We have some good players, but the older players have some issues with the size of Haynesworth's contract (i.e., for a part-time player). I thought the run defense was much better last year, and the pass defense looked better last year. So maybe we've regressed on defense.

The O-Line was better last year, and the Skins have to do something there pretty soon. Zorn is not the problem, but Vinny is (along with Snyder). As far as Flacco and Ryan are concerned, they went to teams with a strong running game, plus solid O-Lines. Portis looks like he's slowed down quite a bit, and he's complaining about Sellers not blocking for him? How about speeding up some, CP!
LB is still slim, especially if Rocky isn't re-signed. London can't play forever, and I'm not convinced Blades is an adequate replacement. The D has stepped up the past 2 weeks. They got the team 14 points & didn't give up a real TD drive. Carolina scored its td's on a short field both times, just like we did.
freddyg12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #37
firstdown
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I heard it before but didn't think about it till you mentioned it but do you think maybe the dinner with Gibbs was to ask him if he would be the next GM? Didn't Gibbs supposedly say he wouldn't mind working in a front office job some day? If not then I hope Gibbs was laying it on the line with the slap in the face honesty so DS knows his best bet to get one of the remaining decent HC's is to get a decent GM and make whoever he's interested in as HC know he's backing way off now.

I think we did pretty good on defense this yr. but what would happen if Zorn or whoever, labled Phillip Daniels on IR? He only gets a part of his salary right? Can we go out and pick up someone else or does Daniels still count against our CAP as a whole?

The offense as I see it is not as bad a fix as others believe, or so I think.

WR-we are set with Kelly, Thomas,and Mitchell maybe bring in another late rounder or2.

RB-keep Mason, Alridge and dump the rest. maybe look for a late round ground pounder.

TE-we are set with Cooley/Davis, someone teach Davis to control the ball or can him.

QB-dump Collins, trade JC for a pick(hopefully), look to draft a QB. Keep Colt and the new guy.

OL-take a LT in 1st round and RT in 2nd. If we don't pick a QB. Cut our losses with the aged OL. Keep the young guys. Start building a young healthy fast OL.

Save any defensive moves for later rounds and UFA's.
Why would you think we are set at the WR spot when they have done nothing in 2 years. You then say keep Mason & Alridge but they have done nothing and it must be something there becaseu other teams have not gone after them. TE we should be OK. How can we get a pick for JC when his contract is up and even if it wasn't we might get a 16th round for him.
firstdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:48 PM   #38
warpaint
The Starter

Portis should go who is tired of seeing him pumpiing his legs and driving his shoulder in his own lineman when there is a big runing lane next to him if only he would bounce out and take the lane , but he has been doing that for years know.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #39
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trample the Elderly View Post
Well what more is there to say about this season? It has, in my eyes, ended before it could even get started. So lets look at the positives.

*Jim Zorn is on his way out. One way or the other he's done.

*Dan Snyder isn't stupid. If he could ever get his ego in check we'd have a good football team. Let's cross our fingers and hope he gets it soon.
I don't see it happening, at least not soon. Arrogance tends to be an incurable disease. It is too easy to blame others and usually a person is too arrogant to ever admit to themselves how arrogant they are.

The arrogant usually stay arrogant until death.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #40
Son Of Man
Impact Rookie

The good news is that we do have some solid-to-good pieces to build a tam around. A few roster moves this year can get us to being a respectable team. Then build for a dynasty after that. Here's my take:

QB- Trade Campbell for a 4th/5th rounder, keep Collins & Brennan, draft a franchise QB in this year's draft dubbed "the year of the quaterback". (Bradford, Claussen or McCoy)

RB- Portis (contract), drop Betts & Rock, keep Mason & Alridge, look for mid round draft talent.

WR- Moss (solid, but not true #1), build around Kelly/Thomas/Mitchell, cut Randle El (any trade would be welcome but not probable).

TE- Cooley & Davis (develop the latter)

OL- This is the key to any future success! Keep Dockery & Rabach (not a Casey fan but needed for continuity for another year). Trade Samuels for what he may be worth (est. 3rd). Draft a G or Tin 2nd round AND possibly 3rd or 4th. Get FA lineman to fill holes. Keep Rinehart/Montgomery for depth.

DL- Fine, but get rid of Daniels/Wynn/Montgomery. Bring in FA depth. Jarmon takes over LE next year. Orakpo to RE.

LB- Fine but fine heir apparent to Fletcher, not HB. Wilson to SLB or get a true SAM via free agency.

S- Fine.

CB- Fine. May need replacement for Los.

Most importantly.....proven coaching regime.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:41 PM   #41
The Goat
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
I don't see it happening, at least not soon. Arrogance tends to be an incurable disease. It is too easy to blame others and usually a person is too arrogant to ever admit to themselves how arrogant they are.

The arrogant usually stay arrogant until death.
Wise words Lotus. There's also the possibility lil Danny doesn't read anything negative, doesn't even look outside his tiny bubble. People might read that w/ disbelief...how can someone in such a position of power keep such a narrow outlook? Well I suspect it sorta comes w/ the territory. Someone wealthy enough to literally create his own little world probably doesn't look beyond it much.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #42
SouperMeister
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son Of Man View Post
The good news is that we do have some solid-to-good pieces to build a tam around. A few roster moves this year can get us to being a respectable team. Then build for a dynasty after that. Here's my take:

QB- Trade Campbell for a 4th/5th rounder, keep Collins & Brennan, draft a franchise QB in this year's draft dubbed "the year of the quaterback". (Bradford, Claussen or McCoy)

RB- Portis (contract), drop Betts & Rock, keep Mason & Alridge, look for mid round draft talent.

WR- Moss (solid, but not true #1), build around Kelly/Thomas/Mitchell, cut Randle El (any trade would be welcome but not probable).

TE- Cooley & Davis (develop the latter)

OL- This is the key to any future success! Keep Dockery & Rabach (not a Casey fan but needed for continuity for another year). Trade Samuels for what he may be worth (est. 3rd). Draft a G or Tin 2nd round AND possibly 3rd or 4th. Get FA lineman to fill holes. Keep Rinehart/Montgomery for depth.

DL- Fine, but get rid of Daniels/Wynn/Montgomery. Bring in FA depth. Jarmon takes over LE next year. Orakpo to RE.

LB- Fine but fine heir apparent to Fletcher, not HB. Wilson to SLB or get a true SAM via free agency.

S- Fine.

CB- Fine. May need replacement for Los.

Most importantly.....proven coaching regime.
Let's keep this simple. It starts and ends with the OL. I'm not convinced that Zorn would be a failure if he had a competent OL. What do the first-time head coaches in Denver, Atlanta, Baltimore, and NY Jets have in common? All have strong OL's to keep their young QB's upright.
SouperMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #43
SBXVII
Franchise Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstdown View Post
Why would you think we are set at the WR spot when they have done nothing in 2 years. You then say keep Mason & Alridge but they have done nothing and it must be something there becaseu other teams have not gone after them. TE we should be OK. How can we get a pick for JC when his contract is up and even if it wasn't we might get a 16th round for him.
Because Kelly and Thomas were in most teams eyes #1 or #2 round caliber players. I guess they could be a bust but I'd rather keep them as well as Mitchell and let a qualified NFL WR's coach work with them and see if we can or can not get any production from them. I just can't believe that over the last 8-9 yrs we can't find any decent talent and develope it. Yet other teams like the Eagles, Giants, Dallas, Atlanta, and others find a way to get their rookie WR's on the field and actually produce, yet we find a way to pick only non productive WR's year after year. Something is wrong with that picture.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:02 PM   #44
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Whether our receivers are set or not depends on Marko Mitchell. Kelly seems like a long-term complementary figure -- a Randle El replacement, if you will. Thomas hasn't shown me much at all. If Marko Mitchell can emerge as some sort of a deep threat, then you can address another receiver in free agency pretty easily. If Mitchell isn't NFL-starting caliber, then you pretty much have to go back to the draft and find a guy who is.

Disappointing, yes, but it is what it is.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:12 PM   #45
Trample the Elderly
Playmaker

After a lot of thinking I've come to the conclusion that I really can't take much more of this. If they don't get a GM then I've got to go.

The Redskins team that I grew up with is gone forever. This slight-of-hand that took it's place isn't worth a minute of my time.

I haven't given up completely on this team but there isn't much left. I feel sorry for the players but their bank accounts helps to soothe them. What do we fans get besides humble pie?

For years people have said this team has no identity. They're wrong. The identity of the Washington Redskins is Dan Snyder's bull-shit fantasy football team. It's a fucking shame but it isn't the end of the world, or football.