Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Cowboys at Redskins)

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 11-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #211
over the mountain
Playmaker

Re: Smoot Lays the Smack Down (Cowboys at Redskins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruhskins View Post
I doubt it would have made a difference because it was a total breakdown in coverage. Maybe Landry could have stopped him, since he's bigger than our CBs...but Witten caught that ball in stride and just took off.
yeah thats what im thinking to. Witten would have still made the catch but i dont think he runs for his longest TD ever if landry is on the field . . unless landry was in the box near the LOS . .

Advertisements
Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #212
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOUL-SKINS View Post
Where are all of the Gano supporters????
Right here!!

I think all the Gano bashers have gone a little loco. Let's see... he missed a 49-yrdr and a 52-yrdr... WHO CARES?? HE DID US A FAVOR. Why don't we wait 'til he blows a meaningful game before we run him outta town.

He kicks the ball thru the end zone every time and has proven he can hit FGs up to 60 yards. In exchange he's likely to miss 1 FG per game. I'll take it.

In past years we wouldn't even attempt a 52-yarder and if we did the kick would land on the 2 yard line.

Stay the course. Stay with...

GANO
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #213
NC_Skins
Gamebreaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck View Post
Right here!!

I think all the Gano bashers have gone a little loco. Let's see... he missed a 49-yrdr and a 52-yrdr... WHO CARES?? HE DID US A FAVOR. Why don't we wait 'til he blows a meaningful game before we run him outta town.

He kicks the ball thru the end zone every time and has proven he can hit FGs up to 60 yards. In exchange he's likely to miss 1 FG per game. I'll take it.

In past years we wouldn't even attempt a 52-yarder and if we did the kick would land on the 2 yard line.

GANO

He's currently ranked #31 out of 34 kickers. What's your response to that? Sounds pretty shitty to me. Not saying we should cut or get rid of him at this particular time.
"So let me get this straight. We have the event of the year on TV with millions watching around the world... and people want a punt, pass, and kick competition to be the halftime entertainment?? Folks, don't quit your day jobs."- Matty
NC_Skins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:10 PM   #214
CrazyCanuck
Serenity Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Skins View Post
He's currently ranked #31 out of 34 kickers. What's your response to that? Sounds pretty shitty to me. Not saying we should cut or get rid of him at this particular time.
I think his accuracy numbers count the 3 blocks so if you take those out his pct is more respectable. Also the stats can be deceiving. Mike Nugent is 3rd in pct at 18/19, but he's 0-0 from 50+. So he probably has no range outside of 50. Dan Bailey leads in pct but he's only 1-1 from 50+. And he's missed from under 30 yards, something Gano hasn't done.

I agree GG has to improve his accuracy but let's give him some time. Much easier for a distance kicker to improve his accuracy than the other way around.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:44 PM   #215
Hog1
Quietly Dominating the East

Quote:
Right here!!

GANO
Ahhh.......the voice of reason...
That has no place here!
Hog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #216
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Quote:
I think his accuracy numbers count the 3 blocks so if you take those out his pct is more respectable. Also the stats can be deceiving. Mike Nugent is 3rd in pct at 18/19, but he's 0-0 from 50+. So he probably has no range outside of 50. Dan Bailey leads in pct but he's only 1-1 from 50+. And he's missed from under 30 yards, something Gano hasn't done.

I agree GG has to improve his accuracy but let's give him some time. Much easier for a distance kicker to improve his accuracy than the other way around.
I can give him the rest of the season...and that's it. No improvement, it's time to start looking at other options. Even Dallas brought in Bailey after being similarly generous to Buehler. Waiting 3 seasons for a kicker is one season too many.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 PM   #217
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Gano is a Horrible kicker and has been, You could never ever trust him in a clutch situation again..

Yeah he has a 59 yard kick which is amazing but it wasn't during a tied game we were down by what ? 10-13?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #218
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post
Gano is a Horrible kicker and has been, You could never ever trust him in a clutch situation again..
Whoa that's a little harsh. One missed OT 52 yard field goal and now we're talking about never trusting him to make a clutch kick again? He's made game winners in the past too.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:17 PM   #219
GTripp0012
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfaninok View Post

Yeah he has a 59 yard kick which is amazing but it wasn't during a tied game we were down by what ? 10-13?
As awesome as modern day field goal kickers are, you can't feel too confident in any one kicker in a 50+ yard kick to win the game. Gano is probably one of the better ones in that situation, but some coaches won't even dare attempt that because of the downside.

If you take that chance, you have to be prepared to miss it. There's no kicker in the league you can get that would change that disappointment if you miss. Not Akers, not Janikowski, none of them.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:35 PM   #220
sandtrapjack
The Starter

The game is on NFL Replay now on NFLN.
sandtrapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #221
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandtrapjack View Post
The game is on NFL Replay now on NFLN.

No thanks
Old 11-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #222
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooby View Post
Whoa that's a little harsh. One missed OT 52 yard field goal and now we're talking about never trusting him to make a clutch kick again? He's made game winners in the past too.
Just very irritating man
Old 11-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #223
Hog1

5 Is it better if they keep losing?

Um, no. Yes, it would improve their draft position in April, but it would do little for the belief among the players that this is a program headed in the right direction. It's important for players to believe in what you're doing. Besides, it's impossible to predict where any of these quarterbacks will be drafted in April, save for Andrew Luck. A 12-game losing streak to end the season would suggest larger issues that a QB picked in the top five won't solve anytime soon.

jkeim@washingtonexamin
Old 11-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #224
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1 View Post
5 Is it better if they keep losing?

Um, no. Yes, it would improve their draft position in April, but it would do little for the belief among the players that this is a program headed in the right direction. It's important for players to believe in what you're doing. Besides, it's impossible to predict where any of these quarterbacks will be drafted in April, save for Andrew Luck. A 12-game losing streak to end the season would suggest larger issues that a QB picked in the top five won't solve anytime soon.

jkeim@washingtonexamin
Yeah I agree to a point, a 12 game slide definitely isn't good for the franchise's psyche. But either way, QB has got to be a top priority no matter how the last 6 games go down.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #225
Hog1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post
Yeah I agree to a point, a 12 game slide definitely isn't good for the franchise's psyche. But either way, QB has got to be a top priority no matter how the last 6 games go down.
^^^^^^^^^