Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Lets look at future positives

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 12-15-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
SirClintonPortis
Pro Bowl

Re: Lets look at future positives

Rex can be a backup, but he really can't handle the rigors of a full season. And his mechanics do get sloppy at times, which then leads to his bad throws.

Virtuosity remembered, douchebaggery forgotten.

The ideal character profile shoved down modern Western men and women's throats is Don Juan.
SirClintonPortis is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #17
skinster
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
16 games w/ 16 int's. How do you explain that? Grossman is not a starting caliber QB, have you watched the games? I won't blame Grossman for everything but he is a big part of the problem.
I think I already did explain it. An offensive system that is built for the run to set up the pass that is 31st in the league in rushing. Crap WR's and crap/banged up o-line.

There's more than just the qb on plays. An incomplete pass might be thrown because nobody is really open, we don't know until we watch the tape, which I have not done intensively, but believe rex to be a middle of the road qb capable of winning games given that he has a good supporting cast.

I'm going to seemingly contradict what I've been saying in this thread when I say that I believe that this is a qb driven league, and the qb has to be able to carry a team for the team to be a contender. Rex is NOT that caliber of qb. At most a third of the league has that caliber of a qb. But it is still possible to win with a mediocre qb. Rex can play respectable ball as a system qb. If the players around him do their jobs, he can do his adequately. He has not had ANY of the players around him do their jobs; he has ZERO supporting cast. Rex is not good enough to make the players around him look better, but that doesn't mean that he is the problem that killed our team. Our team is bad 360 degrees around. Rex is not a "problem" in that he can't play qb in this league. He can given the right situation, and he is just not in it. I am NOT saying that Rex is good, just adequate. Going back to what I said earlier, this is a qb driven league, and of course improved qb play would improve our team, but I feel like people are saying that rex is the problem because he is not elite. That to me just doesn't make sense. Only the elite qbs can win without a good supporting cast.
skinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:31 AM   #18
#56fanatic
The Starter

I personally like where the team is going and believe with another offseason draft (if as good as last year) and a few good FA signings to fill some holes, we could compete for the division next season. Our Defense is a good enough defense that will keep us in games if we have a rookie QB learning the ropes. (my hopes are for RGIII) Imagine the one QB that has killed the Redskins year after year, the mobile QB's, finally in a Redskins uniform. One that has the pocket passing ability of a legit starting QB in the NFL and the running ability of a Mike Vick, with one of the strongest arms coming out.
ok, back to my original post....
Helu is a rookie, and is having quite a good year when FINALLY given the ball as the starter. Not sure what Hightower situation may be, but he may be signing else where along with Torain. I still believe that Helu, Royster and a draft pick are going to be the RB's of the future.
Hankerson showed flashes in one game, but with the young guys we have I am excited about the possiblities of the big WR's.
O-line is going to be pretty damn good next year. Kory coming back, Trent, Montgomery at center, Chester and hopefully a new RT should be pretty solid. Plus these young guys really playing well the last few weeks.

For those who think Shanny screwed up the QB situation. He thought McNabb given his past 11 years of success was going to be a guy to get us in the playoffs, and who honestly (i say Honestsly) thought differently. Regarding the draft, only QB we had the possiblity of drafting was Blayne Gabbert, and how good is he doing right now and that is with MJD.. Jacksonville is looking at possibly drafting another QB he is so bad. So maybe Shanny looked ahead and saw the class coming out this year and decided to play Grossman knowing we were going to get our franchise QB this draft. I say that he was looking ahead, and has a plan. A plan that needs 4 years to see what this team is really capable of.
#56fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:22 AM   #19
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post
I disagree with just about everyone when its said that qb play killed this team. I think that Rex Grossman is a capable qb in this system, IF the system works. IF the run is set up well, rex seems to do well on the play action passes. We have to consider that the run game was terrible, the wrs were scraped together, and the o-line was in a dissaray this whole season. I think rex played well considering the circumstances, and I don't think it was qb play that killed the team. Rex isn't a guy that will put the team on his back, but I think he played well enough to say that we could have won if he had the proper support (which he didn't have).
This statement takes into account a "what have you done lately" fact which is Rex has played better recently. Skinster, you have to take into account the entire season and QB play has been the leading contributor of why this team is bad. Not only Rex, but Beck as well. Rex/Becks turnovers and generally ability are the leading reasons why our record will have double digit in losses, they are a turnover factory. Lack of depth is another major reason we are bad.

He Gets Us

Last edited by Chico23231; 12-17-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #20
MTK
\m/

A lot of things killed the team this year... including the QB play.

The excuses for Rex never cease to amaze me.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #21
Bushead
Impact Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

I don't' think the Rex sympathizers say that he has done nothing wrong, it's just a reaction to how people think once we draft a QB (OMG!!! RGIII SUPERBOWL!!DONTH8TE) everything will be okay is discerning.

How good would you feel saying you had to go throw to Santana Moss and Jabar Gaffney? Or have to sit behind that offensive line, knowing everyone is playing out of position?

By all means, Rex can make very, very bad decisions, but he can run the system well. Holding that ball for so long in the end-zone is just typical of what he does wrong and really hurts the team.

But, for those people who are thinking Rex has been the overall negative, I don't think is right. I think he can run the system and is average. But, it's taken this long to get the running game steady. The Skins don't have WRs that are able to make separation. The offensive line isn't exactly the epitome of consistency. There are no playmakers except maybe Fred Davis.

I guess it comes down to either hauling the hate on Rex or spreading it around evenly. Just bringing in a new QB isn't going to be an automatic fix; there are more than just one problem.
Bushead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:11 AM   #22
MTK
\m/

Obviously we're going to make a few more moves in the offseason than just QB, and all of our problems aren't strictly related to Rex. But the simple fact is Rex is not the long term answer.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #23
skinsguy
Pro Bowl

Positives: Roy Helu, Lenard Hankerson, Perry Riley, Evan Royster, Chris Neild, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Jarvis Jenkins returning from injury.

Hopefully the 'skins add an upgrade at QB and continue adding depth on the OL and the secondary. Believe it or not, this Redskins team is starting to come together.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #24
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy;868426[B
]Positives: Roy Helu, Lenard Hankerson, Perry Riley, Evan Royster, Chris Neild, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Jarvis Jenkins returning from injury. [/B]

Hopefully the 'skins add an upgrade at QB and continue adding depth on the OL and the secondary. Believe it or not, this Redskins team is starting to come together.
Your list has one constant that all fans should be very pleased with, those listed players were obtained through the draft. This FO culture shift is key to our success for the future. We need to continue to scout hard and draft well, at the minimum you develop quality, affordable depth.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #25
Landry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushead View Post
I don't' think the Rex sympathizers say that he has done nothing wrong, it's just a reaction to how people think once we draft a QB (OMG!!! RGIII SUPERBOWL!!DONTH8TE) everything will be okay is discerning.

How good would you feel saying you had to go throw to Santana Moss and Jabar Gaffney? Or have to sit behind that offensive line, knowing everyone is playing out of position?

By all means, Rex can make very, very bad decisions, but he can run the system well. Holding that ball for so long in the end-zone is just typical of what he does wrong and really hurts the team.

But, for those people who are thinking Rex has been the overall negative, I don't think is right. I think he can run the system and is average. But, it's taken this long to get the running game steady. The Skins don't have WRs that are able to make separation. The offensive line isn't exactly the epitome of consistency. There are no playmakers except maybe Fred Davis.

I guess it comes down to either hauling the hate on Rex or spreading it around evenly. Just bringing in a new QB isn't going to be an automatic fix; there are more than just one problem.
Don't associate smart fans with morons who believe any good acquisition going to lead to a superbowl appearance. The truth is we haven't had a good qb here in a very, very long time. That is the main reason we haven't been consistent on offense in a very long time. Qb is our biggest need going into this offseason. Rex sucks regardless of how much you try to redirect the blame.
Landry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #26
Landry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy View Post
Positives: Roy Helu, Lenard Hankerson, Perry Riley, Evan Royster, Chris Neild, Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Jarvis Jenkins returning from injury.

I agree but we also need a #1 wr.
Landry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #27
Swarley
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinster View Post

3. Roy Helu looks like he can contribute in the backfield. I'm still not sold on him being our featured back. The numbers are there but my personal philosophy likes consistency over 1-2 good runs a game that inflate the numbers (especially on 3rd and long draws), which I don't believe Helu is doing. But he looks good enough to contribute to our team for a while.

The fact that he's capable of those 1-2 good runs tells me plenty. You have to consider the run blocking for the reason you don't see consistency out of Helu.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:38 PM   #28
Mechanix544
The Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyk View Post

exactly. Rex grossman is pathetic, period. Can he show capability at times? yes, but taking everything into account, the guy is the fukkin pits.

Truth is.....

Watching him play is like having someone shove bamboo shoots under your fingernails all while someone is scratching their nails on a chalkboard......

Last edited by Mechanix544; 12-17-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Mechanix544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #29
SmootSmack
Uncle Phil

Grossman is far from pathetic, Beck is pathetic. Grossman is more frustrating than pathetic
Old 12-17-2011, 03:00 PM   #30
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmootSmack View Post
Grossman is far from pathetic, Beck is pathetic. Grossman is more frustrating than pathetic
Agreed.