Old 12-15-2020, 09:19 AM   #46
MTK
\m/

Re: Wft quarterback of the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico23231 View Post
Kyle Allen should play and start over Alex Smith next season IF HEALTHY

Start there.

Kyle will be cheaper and has played just as well.
I think we'd be in the same spot right now if Allen had been playing the last 4 weeks. I'd be fine with him as the short term guy and who knows maybe he can turn that into something more.

Advertisements
Old 12-15-2020, 09:23 AM   #47
Ohioskins
Special Teams

Rivers would be my preferred optoin.
Ohioskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:39 AM   #48
GridIron26
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioskins View Post
Rivers would be my preferred optoin.
If Rivers decides to play next year, I would be shocked to see him go to a different team unless Colts is the one who decides to move on. Rivers and Reich have good relationship.
GridIron26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #49
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
If Rivers decides to play next year, I would be shocked to see him go to a different team unless Colts is the one who decides to move on. Rivers and Reich have good relationship.
Call me crazy but if Hurts pans out in Philly, I see a team that would be a perfect fit for Wentz, Indy. Reich former coach, great OL, running game, young up and coming receivers, the perfect recipe to regain your confidence. Maybe Wentz could redo his contract to accommodate his new team.

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #50
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Kyle Allen should play and start over Alex Smith next season IF HEALTHY

Start there.

Kyle will be cheaper and has played just as well.
Allen has not played just as well as Smith. 610 yards passing in 5 games and 1-3 as a starter? He is coming off a major injury as well...I'm not sure that would be my first choice if the plan is to move on from Smith.

If you've made the decision to move on from Smith and don't get your day 1 QB in the draft, then you probably do bite the bullet and lure a FA in here. Who that would be, I don't know.

I see Stafford's name thrown around a lot, but he is under contract for the next two years. I don't see that as an option.

Maybe you can bring in a guy like Dalton, Winston, Trubisky...

Good discussion, but I like the discussions about this year better. I'm enjoying the fact that this team is in 1st place right now with a chance to host a playoff game.
Chief X_Phackter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #51
SFREDSKIN
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Allen has not played just as well as Smith. 610 yards passing in 5 games and 1-3 as a starter? He is coming off a major injury as well...I'm not sure that would be my first choice if the plan is to move on from Smith.

If you've made the decision to move on from Smith and don't get your day 1 QB in the draft, then you probably do bite the bullet and lure a FA in here. Who that would be, I don't know.

I see Stafford's name thrown around a lot, but he is under contract for the next two years. I don't see that as an option.

Maybe you can bring in a guy like Dalton, Winston, Trubisky...

Good discussion, but I like the discussions about this year better. I'm enjoying the fact that this team is in 1st place right now with a chance to host a playoff game.
Out of that list Trubisky would be the only one I would consider

Art Monk- Art was like an OL playing WR, doing the dirty work and not getting the glory.

Darrell Green- Best DB ever.

Purveyor of fine Filth
SFREDSKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:17 AM   #52
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFREDSKIN View Post
Out of that list Trubisky would be the only one I would consider
Yeah there's other potentials as well. That isn't a wish list or a FA QB ranking, just jotting down a few of the QBs that may be available, as a "for example".
Old 12-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #53
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIron26 View Post
Interesting option, but he wouldn't be cheap. He's older, but still looks pretty good. I've always liked his passion for the game. He is scheduled for foot surgery in the offseason - not sure whether or not that would be a concern. He's a gamer though.
Old 12-15-2020, 10:31 AM   #54
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
I think we'd be in the same spot right now if Allen had been playing the last 4 weeks. I'd be fine with him as the short term guy and who knows maybe he can turn that into something more.
Agree...the emergence of Gibson is a bigger factor of the offense’s rise than Alex coming in. Gibson absence on the field this past week really hurt.

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 10:32 AM   #55
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Rivers and Trubisky? Absolutely no to both.

He Gets Us
Old 12-15-2020, 11:00 AM   #56
MTK
\m/

Quote:
Rivers and Trubisky? Absolutely no to both.
Yeah seriously

Love Rivers but he's year to year at this point and why would the Colts move on?

Trubisky is trash, so is Darnold. The only name that intrigues me is Stafford in the unlikely event the Lions moved on from him.

I think we're probably looking at Allen and Smith returning with Haskins' future up in the air and we'll see what happens with the draft.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:08 AM   #57
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Agree...the emergence of Gibson is a bigger factor of the offense’s rise than Alex coming in. Gibson absence on the field this past week really hurt.
Again, 610 yards passing over 5 games and 1-3 as the starter. How that is just as good as Smith - I don't get it.

It's not a coincidence that this ENTIRE team has played better since Smith took over. He can't move around much, but he absolutely has made this whole team better. Call it the emergence of Gibson, the defense getting better, the O-line improving...whatever you want to call it - the one change that was made before this team went 4-1 over it's last 5 games, was naming Smith the starter.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:12 AM   #58
Chief X_Phackter
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Yeah seriously

Love Rivers but he's year to year at this point and why would the Colts move on?

Trubisky is trash, so is Darnold. The only name that intrigues me is Stafford in the unlikely event the Lions moved on from him.

I think we're probably looking at Allen and Smith returning with Haskins' future up in the air and we'll see what happens with the draft.
That's kinda been my point. What are you going to get in a Vet FA that is a better option than what we have - without jeopardizing the opportunity to resign some core players, and improve the team with other FAs like offensive linemen, a WR, etc.

Rivers is year to year, but Smith is too.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:25 AM   #59
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief X_Phackter View Post
Again, 610 yards passing over 5 games and 1-3 as the starter. How that is just as good as Smith - I don't get it.

It's not a coincidence that this ENTIRE team has played better since Smith took over. He can't move around much, but he absolutely has made this whole team better. Call it the emergence of Gibson, the defense getting better, the O-line improving...whatever you want to call it - the one change that was made before this team went 4-1 over it's last 5 games, was naming Smith the starter.
Yeah I just disagree. Smith hasn’t been that great, pretty avg. go back and look look at each game Alex played...include the rams and giants game as well. Cincy and Dallas game he really wasn’t asked to do much. I absolutely believe Alex did lift the team and his demeanor helped in a lot of pressure situations. But not buying Kyle didn’t or couldn’t play as well...it will depend on Health tho. I expect Alex if he is named starter next year to play as a bottom 1/3 QB in the league, that’s not gonna get it done IMO.

He Gets Us
Old 12-15-2020, 11:28 AM   #60
MTK
\m/

Smith hasn't been the primary factor in the 4 game win streak. The entire team has elevated their play and yes Smith is a part of that, but I also think Allen could have led the same charge.