Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

Fitzmagic thread

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 05-26-2021, 04:01 PM   #16
MTK
\m/

Re: Fitzmagic thread

Pretty sweet situation for RF when you think about it. No highly touted rookie looking over his shoulder, a potential dominant defense, and some nice weapons to work with. He has the chance to change the narrative of his career from journeyman to possible late career hero like a Rich Gannon type.

Advertisements
Old 05-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #17
mooby
Hug Anne Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTK View Post
Pretty sweet situation for RF when you think about it. No highly touted rookie looking over his shoulder, a potential dominant defense, and some nice weapons to work with. He has the chance to change the narrative of his career from journeyman to possible late career hero like a Rich Gannon type.
Would be nice but his instincts with throwing picks have repeatedly bitten him over the course of his career. One week he'll throw an amazing pass with his facemask being held to win the game, the next he'll throw 4 picks. It's nature's way. We're just going to have to take the good with the bad, and hope it's more of the former than the latter.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:32 PM   #18
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

This is what I hope is a foreshadowing of our upcoming season, Fitzpatrick's passer rating 154.5:

CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:48 PM   #19
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Of course the game before he had a passer rating of 66.4 with 2 INTs and a rushing TD, still he looked pretty good, and if the defense holds tough, they maybe pull it out. That will be the key in these type games.
Old 05-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #20
Pervis_Griffith
Special Teams

Quote:

AND ... maybe most importantly ... not being on a team where he HAD to force things in order to put his team in position for the win.

With our D, we should be in every game we play. That should make it much easier for RF to just let the game come to him, taking deep shots that are open, and not putting the ball up for grabs in an effort to "make that winning play".
Pervis_Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:06 PM   #21
skinsfan69
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daseal View Post
I'm less high on him than most. He's been in the league 17 years, some teams with some really incredible offensive talent, and never played in the playoffs. Heinicke has more playoff experience than Fitz.

That said, I'm excited to move on from the Alex "Paint Drying" Smith offense and actually have a reason to cheer. Fitz doesn't know what a check down is.
Watching Alex play QB was torture. Got to respect him and all, great guy but not a championship type of QB - even when he was healthy I wasn't a fan.
skinsfan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:36 PM   #22
Chico23231
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Watching Alex play QB was torture. Got to respect him and all, great guy but not a championship type of QB - even when he was healthy I wasn't a fan.
Gutsy af…but dude was done.

But watching Dwayne Haskins was worst. Fuckin Snyder…

He Gets Us
Chico23231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 09:43 AM   #23
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsfan69 View Post
Alex was a good QB but last yr was a disaster. Other than the Pittsburgh game I thought he looked awful in most starts. Fitz is old but he's also a gun slinger that still has a decent enough arm to scare a defense. The offense will be night and day from last yr
Old 05-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #24
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
That's a great comparison for him, and if he stays healthy and has a good year I could even see him playing 1 more in 2022
Old 05-27-2021, 01:55 PM   #25
Monkeydad
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRedskinsRule View Post
So the main issue is his interceptions, and forcing plays with a lead?

I definitely agree on ints, over his career he basically has been a 1 td vs 1 int guy.
I keep hearing that but his stats don't back that story up.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...F/FitzRy00.htm

223 TDs/169 INTs

Yes he does throw INTs and had a couple of years where they were close to even, but most of his career that's not the case.

Playing a Brett Favre style, INTs are going to happen. In fact, he has the SAME TD:INT ratio as Favre over his career.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:34 PM   #26
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I keep hearing that but his stats don't back that story up.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...F/FitzRy00.htm

223 TDs/169 INTs

Yes he does throw INTs and had a couple of years where they were close to even, but most of his career that's not the case.

Playing a Brett Favre style, INTs are going to happen. In fact, he has the SAME TD:INT ratio as Favre over his career.
He had a 4 year stretch where 3 of the 4 years his ints were more than his tds. Last year in the first 6 games he had 2 where he threw multiple ints no tds, and 3 where he threw multiple tds and no ints and 1 with 3 tds and 2 ints.

I am really hopeful that the good Fitz comes and I expect he will but I guess I get some of the hesitations.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2021, 09:07 AM   #27
Monkeydad
Living Legend

The fun has begun.

https://twitter.com/WashingtonNFL/st...46925923504131
Old 05-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #28
Schneed10
A Dude

We have to keep his interceptions in perspective though, it's definitely still an issue for him. Very few QBs in the NFL actually have a 1 to 1 touchdown to interception ratio and still keep their jobs.

Carson Wentz last year was horrible, he threw 16 TDs to 15 INTs. Hurts ended up getting a chance to play. Danny Dimes threw 11 TDs to 10 INTs. Nick Mullens was 12 TDs to 12 INTs, partial year starter. And Sam Darnold on one of the worst teams went 9 TDs to 11 INTs.

So if your ratio is 1-1 that's pretty terrible. Fitz threw 10 TDs and 8 INTs last year in half a season. We can't make him out to be a guy whose turnover troubles are behind him.

That said, he'll still be 20 times more capable than Alex and Dwayne. If you combined their stats last year, they were 11 TDs and 15 INTs. That would have been the worst in the NFL. And that's the whole point - when capable is a major upgrade, it tells you a) how good the defense was last year and b) we have reason to be reasonably excited this year.
Old 05-28-2021, 09:23 AM   #29
Monkeydad
Living Legend

I'm not worried about the INTs. They're going to happen. Our QBs last year threw a ton of picks with a conservative passing game. Now we have a big downfield threat.

With the elite WRs we have in McLaurin, Samuel and Brown along with Gibson, Thomas, McKissic around him, they'll make MORE big plays than not. They can go get some bad throws too.

Sure there will be mistakes by Fitz, but he'll hit on more big plays than any Redskins QB since...maybe Mark Rypien?

Risk and reward.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:04 AM   #30
skinsfaninok
Warpath Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydad View Post
I'm not worried about the INTs. They're going to happen. Our QBs last year threw a ton of picks with a conservative passing game. Now we have a big downfield threat.

With the elite WRs we have in McLaurin, Samuel and Brown along with Gibson, Thomas, McKissic around him, they'll make MORE big plays than not. They can go get some bad throws too.

Sure there will be mistakes by Fitz, but he'll hit on more big plays than any Redskins QB since...maybe Mark Rypien?

Risk and reward.
Cousins hit on a bunch of deep balls, we forget how good he was