Warpath  

Home | Forums | Donate | Shop

Go Back   Warpath > Commanders Football > Locker Room Main Forum

What's wrong with our Red Zone offense?

Locker Room Main Forum

Old 09-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #31
BrunellMVP?
Impact Rookie

Re: What's wrong with our Red Zone offense?

poor execution, lack of creativity, a coach that is scared of turnovers, a QB that is terrified to make his coaches' turnover nightmare's come true, a lack of a dominant line, etc.
in writing these daily letters and trying to make them interesting it is always possible that some sentiment may occur which has not received the severe and deliberate scrutiny and reconsideration which should attach to a State Paper.
- Churchill
BrunellMVP? is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisements
Old 09-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #32
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
My feelings on whats wrong with the red zone offense are summed up nicely here:

washingtonpost.com

Zorn's dellusional. He thinks he's a good play-caller, when he's not.
You don't have four drives of 13+ plays and one of 9 plays and convert 46% of 3rd downs by being a bad playcaller.

This quote in the article is the most important, "
"We have to pay attention to the detail of the work," Zorn said. "That is what it's going to take for us to continue to improve."

Zorn must look at his calls in the RZ and make the adjustments. Zorn must do his part to put the players in the right position to be successful and not be afraid to let them be successful...or fail.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:47 PM   #33
Lotus
Fire Bruce NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHairedAristocrat View Post
My feelings on whats wrong with the red zone offense are summed up nicely here:

washingtonpost.com

Zorn's dellusional. He thinks he's a good play-caller, when he's not.
If Sellers could catch the damn ball, Zorn looks like a much better play caller.
Vinny's overall Redskins record: 62-82 (.430)
We won more with Vinny
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:51 PM   #34
wilsowilso

My short list of red zone things we never try:

1. QB roll out.

2. Quick Slant where the receiver catches the ball right at the goaline.

3. Any patterns where the receivers route ends at the BACK OF THE GOAL LINE!(this is the most telling one IMO it's a very effective play that we see happen all over the league on Sundays. Either you find the man or the ball goes out the other side end of story it's low risk and very hard to defend when done right. We never never never try it)

4. THE FADE!
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:52 PM   #35
JoeRedskin
Contains football related knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
If Sellers could catch the damn ball, Zorn looks like a much better play caller.
Sellers or Thomas

but still, I have heard of this thing called a "Fade Route". I am unsure it is known in these parts.... but I hear tell of its success on other fields.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #36
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
By how much though? If you take away one field goal and replace with a TD and extra point we score 13 points. If I remember correctly we had 5 red zone trips. At the very least we should have had 27 points.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #37
KI Skins Fan
Pro Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slingin Sammy 33 View Post
I don't think a Power back would've made any difference.
Maybe not, if Zorn continues to run the wrong type of plays, but what if Zorn were to run better plays and we had a big back? It would have to help us.

I just don't understand why we have four RB's with basically the same skill set, none of whom is a short yardage maven. I'm convinced that we need a big back and better play-calling in the Red Zone.

Wouldn't be nice to see a big back on our team run somebody over at the goal line? Touchdown, Washington Redskins!
KI Skins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:01 PM   #38
roth74va
Special Teams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag359 View Post
By how much though? If you take away one field goal and replace with a TD and extra point we score 13 points. If I remember correctly we had 5 red zone trips. At the very least we should have had 27 points.
5 was counting the kneel-down possession at the end correct? So it was really 4?
roth74va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #39
Dirtbag59
Naega jeil jal naga

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth74va View Post
5 was counting the kneel-down possession at the end correct? So it was really 4?
If that's the case then I lower my minimum acceptable score to 24 points.

"I feel like Dirtbag has been slowly and methodically trolling the board for a month or so now."
- FRPLG
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #40
SBXVII
Franchise Player

I think the answer keeps hitting us in the face. When the Giants played us they kept all their defensive lineman and LB lined up between the tackles prior to ball snap. When we played the Rams they did the same thing. Why? cause everyone knows 90% of our runs go between the tackles. All they have to do is load up the middle and stuff the lanes. When the Giants played against Dallas they only kept 3 D-lineman between the tackles. They usually had one DE at each tackle position and one DL floating between them lining up. I believe it was to contain the outside run, but due to this Dallas ran all day up the middle even walked in for a TD. Even Romo ran one up the middle.

Zorn either figures out a way to stretch the other teams defense out or we will see more games like these last two. Hell put 4 WR's in spread them out and run the ball. Even it it's a QB run.
SBXVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:13 PM   #41
JWsleep
Propane and propane accessories

Good thread.

I agree that throwing on 1st down once in a while would be nice. And given JC's mobility, rolling him a bit is a good option.

But execution is the key--funny thing is we only really notice lack of execution on passing plays: Sellars drop, etc. The failure of execution on a running play is harder to spot. But it could still be the cause of a failed play, rather than the play call. Now, I do think Zorn very much needs to improve there, but if we can't block at the point of attack on a run play, that's just weak.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:16 PM   #42
wilsowilso

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBXVII View Post
I think the answer keeps hitting us in the face. When the Giants played us they kept all their defensive lineman and LB lined up between the tackles prior to ball snap. When we played the Rams they did the same thing. Why? cause everyone knows 90% of our runs go between the tackles. All they have to do is load up the middle and stuff the lanes. When the Giants played against Dallas they only kept 3 D-lineman between the tackles. They usually had one DE at each tackle position and one DL floating between them lining up. I believe it was to contain the outside run, but due to this Dallas ran all day up the middle even walked in for a TD. Even Romo ran one up the middle.

Zorn either figures out a way to stretch the other teams defense out or we will see more games like these last two. Hell put 4 WR's in spread them out and run the ball. Even it it's a QB run.
This too!
wilsowilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:21 PM   #43
Slingin Sammy 33
Playmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post
Maybe not, if Zorn continues to run the wrong type of plays, but what if Zorn were to run better plays and we had a big back? It would have to help us.

I just don't understand why we have four RB's with basically the same skill set, none of whom is a short yardage maven. I'm convinced that we need a big back and better play-calling in the Red Zone.

Wouldn't be nice to see a big back on our team run somebody over at the goal line? Touchdown, Washington Redskins!
Agree with having a big Power back on the roster, absolutely.
"I would bet.....(if), an angel fairy came down and said, '[You can have anything] in the world you would like to own,' I wouldn't be surprised if you said a football club and particularly the Washington Redskins.'' — Jack Kent Cooke, 1996.
Slingin Sammy 33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #44
CRedskinsRule
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KI Skins Fan View Post

We can trade for TJ Duckett!
CRedskinsRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #45
Skinz4Lyfe
Camp Scrub

Quote:
I wouldn't fully blame sellers on that play, JC continues to rocket the ball in any situation. Wheres the touch on the ball?
Skinz4Lyfe is offline   Reply With Quote